LTT Mining pool?

Just a little idea, I think that it would be cool and LTT could take a commission to help host the servers.

It would also add another badge! :D

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I think that they already had this conversation before and I think it came out to be that it was too much of a hassle.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36203-linus-tech-tips-bitcoin-mining-pool/

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I think that they already had this conversation before and I think it came out to be that it was too much of a hassle.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36203-linus-tech-tips-bitcoin-mining-pool/

If I could work out how to do it, I would set one up. As long as I had permission to use the LTT branding and give a percentage to LMG.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

woops

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

Force my parents to get solar panels, give them some money, maybe give some money to my dad, update mine and my brother's computers.

Can't really think too well.

wut

judging from both of your posts in the thread, you just want a badge :P

No, I already have one! Anyways, I think it would be a nice way to help the community give back to LMG and all the help they have given us :)

wut

No, I already have one! Anyways, I think it would be a nice way to help the community give back to LMG and all the help they have given us :)

I might have posted in the wrong thread.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

like @Kayn said, this discussion already happened and the main conclusion was that it was too complicated to do properly iirc.

they have future plans where we will be able to buy hardware from them to basically fund their future purchases.

and after Linus tweeted this https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/388190810014896128 which made me so happy since I'm going through a similar thing, I'm not worried for LMG. I will still support the guys, in whatever way I can, but I don't think a mining pool would work

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

like Kayn said, this discussion already happened and the main conclusion was that it was too complicated to do properly iirc.

It's not that it's too complicated to setup, or run properly, I believe the issues occur two fold with the Sponsors of Linus Media Group. Some of them may not want any association with bitcoin or cryptocurrencies and would sooner drop support. And the time Linus doesn't have to spare, needed to learn, set up, and use various tools related to Bitcoin also getting verified on exchanges in order to cash out anytime. 

A somewhat related example of this, just recently Captial One closed a stores bank account for selling bitcoin related merchandise, not pertaining to using the currency, just general souvenirs.

http://www.coindesk.com/capital-one-closes-bank-account-bitcoin/

An interesting use of Bitcoins for Linus Media Group would be that of project watershed.

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/5973/bitcoins-watershed-moment-an-open-source-cryptocurrency-ecosystem/

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

It's not that it's too complicated to setup, or run properly, I believe the issues occur two fold with the Sponsors of Linus Media Group. Some of them may not want any association with bitcoin or cryptocurrencies and would sooner drop support. And the time Linus doesn't have to spare, needed to learn, set up, and use various tools related to Bitcoin also getting verified on exchanges in order to cash out anytime. 

A somewhat related example of this, just recently Captial One closed a stores bank account for selling bitcoin related merchandise, not pertaining to using the currency, just general souvenirs.

http://www.coindesk.com/capital-one-closes-bank-account-bitcoin/

An interesting use of Bitcoins for Linus Media Group would be that of project watershed.

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/5973/bitcoins-watershed-moment-an-open-source-cryptocurrency-ecosystem/

Would you be interested in helping? I have a domain/webhost and a LOT of old hardware lying around we can use as servers (along with 25/10 and unlimited bandwidth)

Would you be interested in helping? I have a domain/webhost and a LOT of old hardware lying around we can use as servers (along with 25/10 and unlimited bandwidth)

As it stands right now, a dedicated private pool would not work for this forum. Especially as a hashing donation service. There currently wouldn't be enough people willing to donate hashing power to likely ever solve a block on our own. I don't think this sort of project would require or benefit from any personally run hardware.

Instead, my initial plan was, and still is (If I ever receive permission heh :rolleyes: ) To use an existing pool which already has global support where we have an official linus tech tips "account" with the workers being personal forum users and a locked down payout address along with other locked down settings. Using the API, all workers would be publicly visible, but unable to access or change account settings.

I have the ability, resources, time, and patience to manage everything along with providing some support. I'd also be willing to go as far as Linus would like in terms of managing the funds generated from this project. From accepting donations to fully maintaining complete encrypted offline cold storage. Or doing nothing other than assisting in set up and questions which may arise.

If requested I could generate addresses and QR codes for every individual video allowing easy tracking of which videos are receiving donations, or help the editors to do that on the fly when editing for upload. Two QR codes for each video, one if you liked it, and one if you didn't but still want to show support.

I would really like to see Linus Media Group and these forums accept and use Crpytocurrnecies, but there's a lot of hurdles in the way. I'm sure something could be figured out in time. It comes down to some people are wanting to donate in a techie sort of way but seem to be unable to do so at this time.

Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

<snip>

One thing is that I doubt that people would mine if they don't get anything in return.

One thing is that I doubt that people would mine if they don't get anything in return.

A donation based pool would be the only reason to have a Linus Tech Tips pool in my opinion ;) It's not supposed to be for profit. A mining pool for profit can be expensive and difficult to run, the hash power from such a small group would get overwhelmed by the overall network where we would likely generate more orphans than solve actual blocks. 

There's also the issues with latency and stale shares due to only one server which also opens up to ddos attacks. In order to support the LTT community we would need a few servers for redundancy and lower stales/rejects in regions outside of north america.

If you want to attempt to set on up, look into hosting a pushpool.

A donation based pool would be the only reason to have a Linus Tech Tips pool in my opinion ;) It's not supposed to be for profit. A mining pool for profit can be expensive and difficult to run, the hash power from such a small group would get overwhelmed by the overall network where we would likely generate more orphans than solve actual blocks. 

There's also the issues with latency and stale shares due to only one server which also opens up to ddos attacks. In order to support the LTT community we would need a few servers for redundancy and lower stales/rejects in regions outside of north america.

If you want to attempt to set on up, look into hosting a pushpool.

Im looking into pushpool...

Im looking into pushpool...

Just doing a search, this should help you get it set up. At least providing links to frontend, backend and a basic set up guide.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93199.0

Just doing a search, this should help you get it set up. At least providing links to frontend, backend and a basic set up guide.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93199.0

Saw that and am reading it while GTA5 reinstalls -.-