Refurb monitors worth looking at?

Coombzy

Hey guys, got a friend looking at a monitor on a budget. He noticed a refurb one for around £120 less than new at his local store. Would it be worth him picking this up?. Its got a 90 day warranty period.

I'm not looking at monitor recommendations here btw as he is pretty set on the one he has found.

I guess it'd depend on who refurbished it. The retailer's no more equipped to do it than you or me or any of us but the manufacturer, the importer or a shop authorized by them might well be. It's all about the right tools and parts along with the whitepapers and schematics.

They probably have no idea about this or won't tell you but if you can find out what was wrong with it and how it was fixed might be important info too. Replacing the stand with a new one is entirely different deal than adjusting the distance between the panel and the backlight in order to get rid of backlight bleed. I'd personally veer away from units with issues relating image quality but wouldn't mind a crooked button or something like that.

Just now, Naeaes said:

I guess it'd depend on who refurbished it. The retailer's no more equipped to do it than you or me or any of us but the manufacturer, the importer or a shop authorized by them might well be. It's all about the right tools and parts along with the whitepapers and schematics.

They probably have no idea about this or won't tell you but if you can find out what was wrong with it and how it was fixed might be important info too. Replacing the stand with a new one is entirely different deal than adjusting the distance between the panel and the backlight in order to get rid of backlight bleed. I'd personally veer away from units with issues relating image quality but wouldn't mind a crooked button or something like that.

They've said that he can return the monitor if a fault like dead pixels or backlight bleed is found.

Depends on how much cheaper it is and if u dont get mad if it dies within an year. U will have to pay for repair or buy another one. 

What monitor is it ? 

For £150 budget u can get some very decent 1080p IPS 60Hz monitors.

If u are buying 144Hz Id say its worth a look at as those ain that cheap.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

11 minutes ago, Thony said:

Depends on how much cheaper it is and if u dont get mad if it dies within an year. U will have to pay for repair or buy another one. 

What monitor is it ? 

Dell UP3017Q master race xD 

57 minutes ago, Thony said:

What monitor is it ? 

It was not a £150 monitor, it was £150 off a monitor that is usually around the £500-600 range.

I bought a BenQ XL2430T (their 1080p, 144hz, non sync, high end TN monitor) refurb direct from BenQ.  I saved $90 and the stand has a couple dings it it.  The panel appears to be brand new and is flawless.  I paid $250 shipped as opposed to 339 from Amazon.  It came with a 1 year warranty instead of 2.

Very worthwhile for me.  I didn't have a specific budget in mind but wanted to try 144hz but not commit since I only have a G1 970.

90 days is a bit shoddy, but as long as there is a 30 day refund period I say go for it.  I would leave it running non-stop to see if any problems develop for a few days, but otherwise I think refurbs, if good quality, can be a great way to save.

However, a 90 day warranty on a £600 monitor is pretty short.  Can you tell us the exact model?   It would be better if we knew the build and reliability of said expensive monitor.