Steam or Xbox controller?

Hi,

I have recently bought a 5 meter long HDMI-cable and connected my pc to my living room TV. I want to be able to play on this screen and I am wondering if i should buy a Steam or an X-box One controller. 

What do you guys think. Please no fanboyism :) 

I haven't gotten a chance to use the steam controller yet but i'm sure an Xbox One controller is the better choice. But it's more personal preference if you'd want to use a track pad or a joy stick.

3 minutes ago, Trekanthode said:

Hi,

I have recently bought a 5 meter long HDMI-cable and connected my pc to my living room TV. I want to be able to play on this screen and I am wondering if i should buy a Steam or an X-box One controller. 

What do you guys think. Please no fanboyism :) 

If you plan on playing games that require a mouse like rts games then steam

Otherwise xbox

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

1 minute ago, FanBlade said:

If you plan on playing games that require a mouse like rts games then steam

Otherwise xbox

Do you know if the steam controller is any good for FPS games?

well, the thing between steam and xbox controller, is you're asking yourself this:

"joystick or steering wheel"

both are very good options, but apply for different scenarios.

DO NOT expect a steam controller to be like a controller you are used to, it WILL be a disappointment. it is a very different device that lacks a lot of features, but has plenty others that may matter to you more, or less. depending on that, make your choices appropriately.

1 minute ago, Trekanthode said:

Watch this 

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

I really liked the Steam controller when it came out, but I don't think there's as much support for it, and it's a strange mix between mousepad and traditional controller.

I edit my posts a lot.

Oki, thanks a lot folks. Think I'll go for the Xbox One Controller :) 

In my opinion the next-gen controllers are better than the steam controllers in the majority of scenarios and have more support, then from there it depends on which controller you prefer or like, for instance, out of the two I prefer the DS4 because the controller is larger than the PS3 controller, I prefer the joystick positioning more, and it has a trackpad at the top which I can use for Left mouse click and mouse actions eliminating the need for a keyboard/mouse on the side, and if you even need right click, you can assign a combo. :)

It depends on the games you play of course, watch reviews, and decide yourself, its more a decision for yourself even though you can receive recommendations and reviews :)

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

I'd go for the Xbox one controller instead of the 360.

Get the steam controller if you want to play games that were not designed for a controller in mind, otherwise get an xbox (360 or one) controller.

When in doubt, re-format.

I haven't used a steam controller but most games I play are designed for Xbox type controller use.
Otherwise I'd just use my keyboard. So I suppose I'd weight the types of PC games you have against how many are PC only titles.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

2 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

In my opinion the next-gen controllers are better than the steam controllers in the majority of scenarios and have more support, then from there it depends on which controller you prefer or like, for instance, out of the two I prefer the DS4 because the controller is larger than the PS3 controller, I prefer the joystick positioning more, and it has a trackpad at the top which I can use for Left mouse click and mouse actions eliminating the need for a keyboard/mouse on the side, and if you even need right click, you can assign a combo. :)

It depends on the games you play of course, watch reviews, and decide yourself, its more a decision for yourself even though you can receive recommendations and reviews :)

the thing about steam controller is that it supports everything, you just have to configure it as such.

if you only need xbox supported games, that's the controller to get, but being able to play a game that was never even developed with a controller in mind, and have it be at least somewhat natural is actually a very interesting concept.

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the thing about steam controller is that it supports everything, you just have to configure it as such.

if you only need xbox supported games, that's the controller to get, but being able to play a game that was never even developed with a controller in mind, and have it be at least somewhat natural is actually a very interesting concept.

I agree with this on a huge scale, but I've yet to encounter a game that I'm unable to use my PS4 controller on, even then, I can easily download XPadder and make my own controls based off of keybindings (concept that would only work for plat formers, as key to joystick compatibility isn't great, at least for the DS4)

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Just now, SherifsDog22 said:

I agree with this on a huge scale, but I've yet to encounter a game that I'm unable to use my PS4 controller on, even then, I can easily download XPadder and make my own controls based off of keybindings (concept that would only work for plat formers, as key to joystick compatibility isn't great, at least for the DS4)

well, some games just require a mouse, and while you surely wont be using the steam controller for CS:GO, it's actually a pretty capable mouse.

12 hours ago, manikyath said:

well, some games just require a mouse, and while you surely wont be using the steam controller for CS:GO, it's actually a pretty capable mouse.

I remember actually being able to play deathmatch and be average on the leaderboard with it but ya I wouldn't use it for competitive xD

9 minutes ago, neoxid501 said:

I remember actually being able to play deathmatch and be average on the leaderboard with it but ya I wouldn't use it for competitive xD

In college i played cs1.6 on my laptop touchpad, and i actually didnt suck :P

Then again, in college people manage things like using a laptop wrist rest as a mousepad..

On 8/11/2016 at 1:00 PM, manikyath said:

well, the thing between steam and xbox controller, is you're asking yourself this:

"joystick or steering wheel"

both are very good options, but apply for different scenarios.

DO NOT expect a steam controller to be like a controller you are used to, it WILL be a disappointment. it is a very different device that lacks a lot of features, but has plenty others that may matter to you more, or less. depending on that, make your choices appropriately.

The only feature it's missing it the secondary joystick. Everything else is either the same or additional to a regular controller like the paddles on the back. 

Anyways I was quite skeptical when buying the Steam controller but I made the purchase with a game bundle during the summer sale. The controller is surprisingly good. The LB and RB are just clicks which was worrisome at first but I got used to it right away. I noticed the triggers are extremely sensitive which I liked for driving games because I could really have a wide range of speed.

Also I noticed games developers even have their own preset steam controller controls like GTA V. They aren't perfect but you can just change them to your taste.

I used to use a PS4 controller all the time. Since buying the Steam controller I see myself going back to that less and less for games. I bought the Xbox One controller with it but decided to return it because I liked the layout of the PS4 controller better and InputMapper let's me use the touchpad to move around the mice cursor. That is incredibly useful for couch gaming! 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

On 11/8/2016 at 7:59 PM, Trekanthode said:

It's terrible for FPS games. I tried it with Half-Life 2 and my experience was miserable at best: I couldn't even finish the railway level using it. For some weird reason, the default setting is that the right pad (the "aiming lever", so to speak) is set as a trackball: A poor choice if you ask me. Setting it as an analogue lever made playing the game slightly more bearable, but not by much.

Then I had the idea to use it to play some classic Tomb Raider: the custom control mapping I made didn't work at all. I tried some community mappings and those didn't work either, so I gave up.

To be honest, I would have RMAd it if I hadn't taken it with the Civ VI preorder.

As others have pointed out, it works really well with strategy games, particularly with turn-based ones (Civ V plays great with it, haven't tried XCOM yet), whereas RTS games are a bit clunky.

It's not all bad, though: it has some nice features, like its comfortable shape, or the "buttons" embedded in the rear cover, or that adapter-thingy that comes in the box to avoid occupying a front port or having to reach all the way to the back of your computer (to be honest, I crave to find one such adapter, but it seems there isn't anything like it on the market), but the bottom line is that it's not something that works well for 90% of the people, which in my opinion is a huge mistake by Valve. The whole "bringing PC gaming to the living room" doesn't work if you have to spend more time messing with settings than actually playing games.

But enough ranting, if you already have an Xbox 360 controller, you can buy Chinese wireless adapters for pretty cheap. I got mine for 8.5 € including shipping. Just don't use the driver disk they send you, because that didn't work for me and, judging from a quick Google search, for a lot of people either. Just install Microsoft's own drivers.

If you don't have one, you can get the Xbox one version with the PC adapter. Unfortunately, 360 and One controllers aren't compatible, which is bullshit, but kudos to Microsoft for designing two (or three, if you count the Elite controller as well) of the best controllers EVAR.

I use an xbox one controller, works great if you have a micro usb cable, you can also get a wireless dongle for it aswell

16 hours ago, Lehti said:

It's terrible for FPS games. the bottom line is that it's not something that works well for 90% of the people, which in my opinion is a huge mistake by Valve. The whole "bringing PC gaming to the living room" doesn't work if you have to spend more time messing with settings than actually playing games.

Unfortunately, 360 and One controllers aren't compatible, which is bullshit, but kudos to Microsoft for designing two (or three, if you count the Elite controller as well) of the best controllers EVAR.

The first problem you have is trying to use a controller for fps games. Sure it's fine if that's all you've used but once you get used to a mouse and keyboard, using a controller is huge awkward, handicap for gaming. Also I don't believe it doesn't work for 90% of the market maybe 60% or 70% but it's not nearly everyone that would be upset with it nor do you have to spend more time in the settings than the game. Once you get used to how the settings work it's extremely easy to adjust games to your likely in a short amount of time. Also the gyro feature really gives you an advantage for over the shoulder games like GTA V over say a PS4 or Xbox controller. 

As much as I like the official support for the Xbox controllers the weight and extra usability is VERY limited on PC. And let's not forget controllers are a preference so it's hard to say which is "the best EVAR." 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

On 14/8/2016 at 2:31 AM, RyGuy99 said:

The first problem you have is trying to use a controller for fps games. Sure it's fine if that's all you've used but once you get used to a mouse and keyboard, using a controller is huge awkward, handicap for gaming.

The OP made it extremely clear he's interested in playing games on his TV. You either haven't used a keyboard and mouse with a computer hooked up to a TV or didn't read what he wrote. No one is arguing that controllers are better for FPS games, I'm saying that playing them on the Steam controller is a huge ordeal and definitely not worth the hassle if you want to enjoy some cozy and comfortable couch gaming.

Yes, I get it, Valve wants to bring PC gaming to the living room, but the results so far are rather underwhelming. You may have your own opinion about it and that's fine, but don't try to put in my mouth words that I didn't say.

3 hours ago, Lehti said:

-snip-

I think you just didn't give it enough time. Not everyone has to love it, but people should at least give it a fighting chance.

You said it sucked for FPS games because the trackball was bad and analog input was workable... That's your mistake right there. Analog input on the touchpads for aiming is absolutely horrible, much worse than a regular stick, but the trackball works quite well if you actually sit down and get used to it. On top of that, the gyro works wonders for precise camera control (though I see it more as a transitional feature than anything else). People keep judging it based on how well it can mimic other controllers, and so few actually spend any time figuring it out and making it work well.

And the configuration system isn't actually that complicated. The longest it takes me to set up a configuration I really like, and this is when it's absurdly complicated, is about an hour. After that it's just sensitivity tweaks and the occasional button swap. Aside from the initial setup, it's really not that much more fiddling than most people do with game settings anyway.

(And I make my configurations from scratch, by the way. Using community configurations can let you skip the initial setup altogether.)

If you try it out a little bit and decide it's not for you, fine, that's your prerogative. It just bugs me when people test it out, decide they don't want to get used to it, then talk like they have an intricate understanding of it. It's very different from any other peripheral we have, it needs time. Once you give it that time, it's one of the best controllers out there.

@Trekanthode, it appears you've made your choice, but still, my suggestion is of course the Steam Controller. Do note though that it is a time investment, as it will take you a little while to get used to it. If you just want a plug-and-play solution that you don't have to think about, get the Xbox controller.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

10 hours ago, Lehti said:

The OP made it extremely clear he's interested in playing games on his TV. You either haven't used a keyboard and mouse with a computer hooked up to a TV or didn't read what he wrote. No one is arguing that controllers are better for FPS games, I'm saying that playing them on the Steam controller is a huge ordeal and definitely not worth the hassle if you want to enjoy some cozy and comfortable couch gaming.

Yes, I get it, Valve wants to bring PC gaming to the living room, but the results so far are rather underwhelming. You may have your own opinion about it and that's fine, but don't try to put in my mouth words that I didn't say.

I have done both of those things. I'm also saying the Steam controller ISN'T a huge ordeal like you make it. Most people have to do very little set up for their games. It's the farthest thing from a hassle. It's as easy as a usb wireless receiver and tinkering here and there. Not to mention a WAY better value than a Xbox controller.