Cooling Recommendations - mITX Build

MblaZe7run

I'm in need of a CPU cooling solution for an mITX build, but am unsure if I should go woosh or sploosh. The build is mostly made of parts I have laying around and need to use for something, and will be home theatre/light-medium gaming.

So far, I've only purchased the case and motherboard. Here's the build so far (missing PSU because I am still deciding on that):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $54.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  (Purchased For $29.99) 
Total: $84.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-08 19:43 EDT-0400

Spoiler

Planned upgrades;

Processor: Some i5 once I care to use this as a LAN box for more than Minecraft

GPU: Something 9x0 or 10x0 once I care to drop the money on one and my roommate upgrades to a 4k TV for our place

Cooling: In the case I go from i3 to i5 and woosh isn't enough

As far as cooling solutions, I am currently looking at the CoolerMaster GeminII M4 because it is a downdraft cooler and the motherboard has no VRM heatsinks. If I decide to go sploosh because it turns out to be a more viable solution, I then need to look for something to cool the VRMs with. If I go woosh, the cooler has to be shorter than 2.5in/63mm, if I go sploosh, I have room for a single 120mm rad, and it looks like I'll have to go closed loop due to space constraints. 

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Sploosh seems overkill unless you have god awful airflow in your case. Go woosh for sure :)

Just now, cdsboy2000 said:

Sploosh seems overkill unless you have god awful airflow in your case. Go woosh for sure :)

That's what I'm thinking as well. On the plus side, I have a $25 gift code to Newegg for woosh, and a planned trip to MicroCenter in two weeks in case of sploosh (need PSU and peripherals, so I'll be trekking there while my car is in the shop). It's just a matter of what woosh to go with. GeminII M4 seems like about the only viable solution here. I'm concerned with the amount of heat it can dissipate though, it is a rather small case with minimal room for cable management and airflow because of that.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

3 minutes ago, MblaZe7run said:

That's what I'm thinking as well. On the plus side, I have a $25 gift code to Newegg for woosh, and a planned trip to MicroCenter in two weeks in case of sploosh (need PSU and peripherals, so I'll be trekking there while my car is in the shop). It's just a matter of what woosh to go with. GeminII M4 seems like about the only viable solution here. I'm concerned with the amount of heat it can dissipate though, it is a rather small case with minimal room for cable management and airflow because of that.

It's a nice cooler so I would say that's probably your best option. I personally use a Noctua NH-L9i in my SG13B and I'm planning on using a Cryorig C7 in my friend's mini-ITX build. All up to you I guess :P

You should be fine with whoosh despite you being limited quite a bit on air cooler height, you can still get a decent enough one for your case, though if you plan to get a k series (since you do have z97 listed) then sploosh will be more enticing

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

In terms of my ITX build, I had no option but to go sploosh. The sugo 13b doesn't leave any alternative. Besides, you'll get higher overclocking performance in most cases too!

Also, thanks for shopping at Microcenter :)

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

You should be fine with whoosh since you may be limited quite a bit on air cooler height but you can still get a decent enough one for your case, though if you plan to get a k series (since you do have z97 listed) then sploosh will be more enticing

That's every bit of why I'm asking; if/when I go i5, it'll be a k SKU. The problem then becomes, how to cool those pesky VRMs if/when I OC the bad boy.

Just now, Rune said:

In terms of my ITX build, I had no option but to go sploosh. The sugo 13b doesn't leave any alternative. Besides, you'll get higher overclocking performance in most cases too!

Also, thanks for shopping at Microcenter :D

I want to ask which one you work at, but I won't :P (because I assume you do work there based on that comment), but of course :x The place is a geeks heaven. And it's cheaper and more convenient to get to actually examine my hardware and take it home same-day, so win-win. 

Still leaning towards woosh, at least for the time being. Reason being, it will help cool the VRMs with a downdraft cooler, but sploosh would add a whole new challenge to keeping this build tidy (if I go open vs closed, or even closed).

5 minutes ago, MblaZe7run said:

That's every bit of why I'm asking; if/when I go i5, it'll be a k SKU. The problem then becomes, how to cool those pesky VRMs if/when I OC the bad boy.

I want to ask which one you work at, but I won't :P (because I assume you do work there based on that comment), but of course :x The place is a geeks heaven. And it's cheaper and more convenient to get to actually examine my hardware and take it home same-day, so win-win. 

Still leaning towards woosh, at least for the time being. Reason being, it will help cool the VRMs with a downdraft cooler, but sploosh would add a whole new challenge to keeping this build tidy (if I go open vs closed, or even closed).

Well then I vote sploosh, you could still use the newegg cash unless microcenter has a great deal on the cooler you're thinking of getting.

As after looking at air coolers that would fit your case none are great for overclocking potential

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, MblaZe7run said:

I do. See my signature :P

In a lot of cases, stores will pricematch newegg or amazon if the price is lower. Just ask to speak with a manager as they are the ones to make the final decision and not the GSA/BYO people on the floor.

1 hour ago, MblaZe7run said:

I'm in need of a CPU cooling solution for an mITX build, but am unsure if I should go woosh or sploosh. The build is mostly made of parts I have laying around and need to use for something, and will be home theatre/light-medium gaming.

So far, I've only purchased the case and motherboard. Here's the build so far (missing PSU because I am still deciding on that):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $54.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  (Purchased For $29.99) 
Total: $84.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-08 19:43 EDT-0400

Reveal hidden contents

Planned upgrades;

Processor: Some i5 once I care to use this as a LAN box for more than Minecraft

GPU: Something 9x0 or 10x0 once I care to drop the money on one and my roommate upgrades to a 4k TV for our place

Cooling: In the case I go from i3 to i5 and woosh isn't enough

As far as cooling solutions, I am currently looking at the CoolerMaster GeminII M4 because it is a downdraft cooler and the motherboard has no VRM heatsinks. If I decide to go sploosh because it turns out to be a more viable solution, I then need to look for something to cool the VRMs with. If I go woosh, the cooler has to be shorter than 2.5in/63mm, if I go sploosh, I have room for a single 120mm rad, and it looks like I'll have to go closed loop due to space constraints. 

Go Woosh, it's more fun to say.