Is there a way to install old graphics chip driver on modern OS?

X01X012013
Go to solution Solved by Biggerboot,

Try running DDU to clean the drivers, then install the latest driver compatible with that GPU.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/82701

Support technically only exists up to Windows 8 but Windows 10 should also work.

Worst comes to worse you can revert back to Windows 7 or buy the cheapest GPU you can.  If it's an old pre-built it may have a back-up image (look up if there's a factory reset feature on the computer's model).

My mother's computer has Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE graphics chip. She only watch videos and check emails so the graphics chip is powerful enough. It was working perfectly on Windows 7, but one day, Microsoft decided to push Windows 10 upgrade onto her PC. And when the system boot up, Microsoft's generic graphics driver doesn't have a resolution that fits the monitor. The image has to be either stretched and make everything look ugly, or leave two big black space on the sides. I tried to install the driver and it says that the driver isn't compatible with Windows 10. I tried to run the driver installer in compatibility mode and it still refuse to install. I remember Linus said we can extract the .ini file and force an install, does that apply to graphics drivers too? How exactly is it done? All I really need is to fix the resolution. 

try revert back to windows 7

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Having a Similar issue. My S-Video GPU driver won't install on 8.1 so I have to use Windows 7 until I can figure it out. I hope you can figure it out because it'l help me too. 

I'm was using a Geforce 6100 nForce 405 GPU in Windows 10 no problem. I installed Driver version 309.08.

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

try revert back to windows 7

This is not an option. It was a while back. 

Win 7 Drivers should work in Win 10, only apps act ... intresting.

3 minutes ago, Poohl said:

Win 7 Drivers should work in Win 10, only apps act ... intresting.

Key word should but they don't always do so in practice since microsoft is retarded or something, though as the op said his particular device predates windows 7

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Try running DDU to clean the drivers, then install the latest driver compatible with that GPU.

Support technically only exists up to Windows 8 but Windows 10 should also work.

Worst comes to worse you can revert back to Windows 7 or buy the cheapest GPU you can.  If it's an old pre-built it may have a back-up image (look up if there's a factory reset feature on the computer's model).

6 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

The driver probably will run just fine if Nvidia let me install it! I can't go over the OS-not-compatible screen. 

I know how to revert back to Win7, but I still want to avoid that if possible. 

2 minutes ago, X01X012013 said:

The driver probably will run just fine if Nvidia let me install it! I can't go over the OS-not-compatible screen. 

There are ways to revert back to Win7, but I still want to avoid that if possible. 

309.08 should work with Windows 10.  Make sure your system is 32 or 64 bit and that it matches the driver (if it's an old AMD 64 cpu it may require 64 bit instead).  Try it as admin without compatibility mode first.

11 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

309.08 should work with Windows 10.  Make sure your system is 32 or 64 bit and that it matches the driver (if it's an old AMD 64 cpu it may require 64 bit instead).  Try it as admin without compatibility mode first.

I gave it another try and it finally worked :D Thanks for the help!