SSD for OS

Jester196

Hey all, I'm looking for a new SSD for windows 8. I'll be putting into a gaming computer and it will only contain the windows OS. I have a separate western digital caviar black 1TB for my games and everything else. So I all I really need is 60GB SSD, as cheap as possible but still a decent one.

Thanks

ASUS RTX 2080 Super ROG STRIX | AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT | ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | Corsair Vengeance PRO RBG 16GB 3600MHz | NZXT Kraken X73 | Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic | x9 CoolerMaster MF120 Halo

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

The 840 series from Samsung will be absolutely fine.

I would recommend going with the 120GB version as it will allow you to put some of your most played games on there, you will notice the decrease in loading times immediately.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series-128GB-Solid-State/dp/B009LI7CKI

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

My 64 GB SSD came in yesterday! So awesome! i have my OS on it and it is really fast i have the 

Sandisk SDSSDP-64G-G25, 64GB SSD

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Whatever is the size you need and is the cheapest in terms of $/GB.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Thanks for the reply. I'm not an expert on storage devices so I don't know much about what makes an SSD fast lol, but it's at very reasonable price so I will look it up. Thanks again.

ASUS RTX 2080 Super ROG STRIX | AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT | ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | Corsair Vengeance PRO RBG 16GB 3600MHz | NZXT Kraken X73 | Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic | x9 CoolerMaster MF120 Halo

The 840 series from Samsung will be absolutely fine.

I would recommend going with the 120GB version as it will allow you to put some of your most played games on there, you will notice the decrease in loading times immediately.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series-128GB-Solid-State/dp/B009LI7CKI

I'm not really wanting to spend the extra money on a 120GB as I don't mind the loading times on my WD black. But il have a look at the samsung ones. Thanks.

I would say, if you are gonna get an ssd, you should also put all you apps and the frequently played games on it.

I agree with NoTreble about getting the 120gb evo ssd. I've setup a lot computers with them and the are reliable and fast.

Note: out of the maybe 25 computers I've upgraded, the evo hasn't failed me yet.

I'm not really wanting to spend the extra money on a 120GB as I don't mind the loading times on my WD black. But il have a look at the samsung ones. Thanks.

You can't really go wrong with any Samsung 840 series SSD whether it's the base model, Pro or the Evo. You can also look into the 830 as they are still fantastic drives. I'm recommending Samsung based on reliability as this will be an OS drive and you don't want it to fail.  ;)

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.