noob for programing

zehao39

Hi

I was a totally a noob on program, however I am really interesting on program. recently I want make a program that will match two type of file with the same name(such as 3.jpg and 3.png) and delete the file do not match. What will be a good language to study?

PS : How about JavaScript  

I am really not sure which type of language I should use and which one I will use the most in the future

Just now, zehao39 said:

I am really not sure which type of language I should use and which one I will use the most in the future

I recommend not going on codecademy because recently it has become a freemium website.

For languages that interact with your OS, I would suggest Python (quick & learner friendly, lots of tutorials on it, rather new language), or Java/C++ (much more complicated, but much more efficient)

In the end, what coding language you want to learn depends on what you want to do in the future.

Cheers,

-Bob

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Just now, bob51zhang said:

I recommend not going on codecademy because recently it has become a freemium website.

For languages that interact with your OS, I would suggest Python (quick & learner friendly, lots of tutorials on it, rather new language), or Java/C++ (much more complicated, but much more efficient)

In the end, what coding language you want to learn depends on what you want to do in the future.

Cheers,

-Bob

it is just a hobby, I hope i can make some useful small program in the future

1 minute ago, zehao39 said:

it is just a hobby, I hope i can make some useful small program in the future

Well then in that case I completely recommend Python.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

8 hours ago, bob51zhang said:

Well then in that case I completely recommend Python.

import os
for file in os.listdir("/mydir"):
    print(file)

Will print all the files in /mydir. Maybe store the names in the an array or list then use that to check if file names are the same.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

19 hours ago, zehao39 said:

What will be a good language to study?

PS : How about JavaScript  

Yay, my favorite topic.

In descending order of being an interesting and valuable experience for beginners:

1. C++,
  2. Common Lisp,
  3. Perl,

4. Python.

All of them have great free books and tutorials available (I, personally, recommend Wikibooks for your first attempt). Javascript is sweet if you desperately need to develop an annoying website, but it's not really worth the effort.

PS: Seriously, don't.

Write in C.

12 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Yay, my favorite topic.

In descending order of being an interesting and valuable experience for beginners:

1. C++,
  2. Common Lisp,
  3. Perl,

4. Python.

All of them have great free books and tutorials available (I, personally, recommend Wikibooks for your first attempt). Javascript is sweet if you desperately need to develop an annoying website, but it's not really worth the effort.

PS: Seriously, don't.

No Java/C#?

They are one of the most used programming languages in the bussiness world.

I think that they're absolutely perfect for learning object orientated programming.

C++ is a great language (my favorite combined with Python) but not noob friendly.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

I have been working in "the business" for long enough to be able to assure you that Java is dying and C# is a niche and will - thanks to being focused on Windows platforms - remain one. And please, for the mental health of everyone here, stop assuming that everyone only wants to learn a language because of economical reasoning. If they would, everyone would learn COBOL. High payrolls, high job security.

C++ is very noob-friendly, the learning curve has a steep start though. But once you understood the basics, you can easily learn other languages too. That should be the most important question by the way: How easy is it to adapt your knowledge?

Write in C.

22 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

I have been working in "the business" for long enough to be able to assure you that Java is dying and C# is a niche and will - thanks to being focused on Windows platforms - remain one. And please, for the mental health of everyone here, stop assuming that everyone only wants to learn a language because of economical reasoning. If they would, everyone would learn COBOL. High payrolls, high job security.

C++ is very noob-friendly, the learning curve has a steep start though. But once you understood the basics, you can easily learn other languages too. That should be the most important question by the way: How easy is it to adapt your knowledge?

Agree with this, no one language is THE language  to learn, it's like a builder. You use the right tool for the write job. I personally use python to build up my functions and what not which I can then move into any language I like. Mostly this is php for web stuff and c# for windows. Though I know python can do web stuff I don't know it so thats something for me to learn

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´