Video Editing Work Station (Help)

mbryant

So back when I was slumming it part time I needed to build a new system. I was able to afford it shortly after going full time at my job. It's great for gaming and gets the job done for video editing however I see my needs increasing very soon in terms of video editing. I don't really know how to gauge xeon processors at all. I'm planning on my editing workstation being only for one purpose, however I won't be able to buy everything all at once. So I'll probably acquire the CPU's and dual socket MOBO first. Then case and PSU. I'll probably be using my current drives and GPU at first just so I can have the thing up and running and eventually the HDD's, SSD, and GPU will make their way back into my current system. Thoughts on components I'll need? 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

you didnt give a budget, but for dual sockets, get a nice ~3.0Ghz hexa or octa core xeons, that will give you the best performance for the dollar if you are strictly video editing. i see most people are going lga 2011 with dual e5 2670 v0's, and that is pretty good, 16 cores and 32 threads, but it is a bit older.

2 hours ago, Gokufighther said:

you didnt give a budget, but for dual sockets, get a nice ~3.0Ghz hexa or octa core xeons, that will give you the best performance for the dollar if you are strictly video editing. i see most people are going lga 2011 with dual e5 2670 v0's, and that is pretty good, 16 cores and 32 threads, but it is a bit older.

I could probably do 1200 for CPU's. Again that's assuming I can justify the cost for the work I'm going to do. I don't know what the release cycles are like, do xeons get new releases every year? 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Depends on the program. Adobe Premeire Pro tends to cap out at 8 cores for the best performance, after that the cores just dont simply seem to matter drastically in performance.. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-698/ 

1 minute ago, mbryant said:

I could probably do 1200 for CPU's. Again that's assuming I can justify the cost for the work I'm going to do. I don't know what the release cycles are like, do xeons get new releases every year? 

usually, yes, its usually just a few additions of cores, or slight clock changes/cache changes, nothing really major.

old xeons are still rally good nowadays too, that is why people are going on ebay and snagging e5 2670 v0's for around $200 for a pair, but the motherboards are around $500

2 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Depends on the program. Adobe Premeire Pro tends to cap out at 8 cores for the best performance, after that the cores just dont simply seem to matter drastically in performance.. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-698/ 

I'm assuming I could get a single 10 core xeon and single socket board? 

Should be able too if thats what you want to do.

In which case, would the cost of doing that and building a whole new system benifit me  in terms of performance per dollar compared to my 4790k 

the 6700k can compete with a 6800k in terms of video editing, the 6800k is not a very good chip.

My 5930k goes up to 4.5 Ghz, which is the 6850k for Broadwell-E. A 4790k is still decent in terms of performance and usability, and you will more then likely see a noticeable diffrence in long video renders, though shorter than 3-4 min wont matter all that much.

the 6700k can compete with a 6800k in terms of video editing, the 6800k is not a very good chip.

My 5930k goes up to 4.5 Ghz, which is the 6850k for Broadwell-E. A 4790k is still decent in terms of performance and usability, and you will more then likely see a noticeable diffrence in long video renders, though shorter than 3-4 min wont matter all that much.

gotchya, this upgrade is also taking my eventual upgrade to shooting in RAW, using after effects, davinci resolve AND shooting in 4K as well as exporting 2K and 4K