Laptop network bridge substitute OS

whiteGloveReview

ok, so I’m upgrading my motherboard and it doesn’t have an onboard wlan card on it. but i have a laptop that i know i can use as a network bridge but the problem is is that the computer runs like ass. you know any way i could do the whole network bridge thing with a less resource intensive os (currently windows 10) or with no os at all (or having an os as minimal as possible to dedicate the most of the system's resources to passing network data through the wlan chip to the ethernet jack. Would I be able to accomplish something like this through a linux distro or something?

Also please note that later on I will buy a dedicated onboard WLAN card, this is just a temporary fix

2 minutes ago, whiteGloveReview said:

ok, so I’m upgrading my motherboard and it doesn’t have an onboard wlan card on it. but i have a laptop that i know i can use as a network bridge but the problem is is that the computer runs like ass. you know any way i could do the whole network bridge thing with a less resource intensive os (currently windows 10) or with no os at all (or having an os as minimal as possible to dedicate the most of the system's resources to passing network data through the wlan chip to the ethernet jack. Would I be able to accomplish something like this through a linux distro or something?

In the long term that laptop will use a lot more power than a wifi card buying cost and power cost together. If you do not have a PCI-E (only need 1x) slot free we can suggest a usb wifi adapter.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

1 minute ago, mcraftax said:

In the long term that laptop will use a lot more power than a wifi card buying cost and power cost together. If you do not have a PCI-E (only need 1x) slot free we can suggest a usb wifi adapter.

I'm really strapped for cash at the moment and i'm upgrading the mobo very soon. this is a temporary fix. 

Just now, whiteGloveReview said:

I'm really strapped for cash at the moment and i'm upgrading the mobo very soon. this is a temporary fix. 

Just use windows. It won't make a difference.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can use linux, but it won't be much different. A network bridge is a very low resource task.

any particular distro? it had win 7 on it when i got it i installed win 10 and ran worse so maybe something super lightweight could work

any particular distro? it had win 7 on it when i got it i installed win 10 and ran worse so maybe something super lightweight could work

Won't make a difference but if you want to, debian?

If you are only upgrading the mobo for wifi, don't do it.

Other can suggest the bridge as they just have.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just now, mcraftax said:

If you are only upgrading the mobo for wifi, don't do it.

Other can suggest the bridge as they just have.

no i'm not upgrading the mobo for the wifi my current mobo has a wlan chip but the upgrade doesnt. 

no i'm not upgrading the mobo for the wifi my current mobo has a wlan chip but the upgrade doesnt. 

sorry, didn't remember that bit

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

ok i did some quick google searches and i think i'm jsut gonna boot lubuntu on my laptop and set it up as a bridge, set it and forget it until i can get a dedicated WLAN chip for it. does that sound like a good idea?