Gigabyte "extreme gaming engine" Problems

Ok, I made a post about something else and included this but as it was in wrong section, got ignored!

I bought a Gigabyte gtx1080 windforce OC over a week ago.Now for those that dont know, to get advertised overclock you have to use their 3rd patry GPU unitility, itsa not just in the bios, as it should be!

Now, i could deal with having the overhead of their rubbish app to get my clocks, IF THE THING ACTUALLY WORKED! At leaset for me, it simply wont select the OC mode, only "gaming" and "eco" modes will highlight and apply.

Contacted gigabyte support, usual run-around and nothing achieved!

Fresh windows 10 install when i got 1080, all current drivers and windows fully up to date and like NOTHING installed apart from couple steam games,aida64 and corsair link.Nice clean system.

So far the only extreme thing about this rubbish app is the frustration im dealing with.Its getting to the point where i do not want the card! I paid for an FACTORY OC , thats what i want! Sure i can do it myself, but its more i paid a lot of money for a high end card, i want what i pay for! This seriously makes me re-consider gigabyte cards for both my own computers and the dozens i build every year for other people.Forcing 3rd party apps on us is just sad, especially when they don't even work!

The general consensus around here seems to be that Gigabyte should be avoided whenever possible.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

2 minutes ago, nosirrah123 said:

The general consensus around here seems to be that Gigabyte should be avoided whenever possible.

Ive never had an issue until this time.There boards and cards served me very well over the last 10 years! However, i am a bit out of date and out of the loop so to speak, so maybe times have changed...I guess its time for a change!

Yeah just use MSI Afterburner. You don't have to use the software from the manufacturer of your GPU to overclock, but I think you may have to use Gigabyte's software to control RGB LEDs. 

ASU

16 minutes ago, Dunxy said:

Now for those that dont know, to get advertised overclock you have to use their 3rd patry GPU unitility, itsa not just in the bios, as it should be!

Everywhere I have seen the card advertised this fact is made very clear by the store. I have always avoided Gigabyte software and I am not surprised it doesn't work.

I tried the gigabyte app for my windforce 970, then quickly stopped using it. I have had no issues with EVGA, MSI and Asus's OC tools on that card though.

Just now, Hackentosher said:

Yeah just use MSI Afterburner. You don't have to use the software from the manufacturer of your GPU to overclock, but I think you may have to use Gigabyte's software to control RGB LEDs. 

Thanks, but im not a moron! I did say i know i can oc the card myself, its not the point! The point is the card doesn't do what its supposed to do, without me intervening. No RGB on this model anyway, i thinkg only the G1 gets that, which was out of stock or i would have it instead.

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Everywhere I have seen the card advertised this fact is made very clear by the store. I have always avoided Gigabyte software and I am not surprised it doesn't work.

I tried the gigabyte app for my windforce 970, then quickly stopped using it. I have had no issues with EVGA, MSI and Asus's OC tools on that card though.

Im not sure you guys follow me here.

Im not trying to just manually overclock the card, i just want the "advertised clocks", which require setting of "oc mode" which loads the factory overclock.

I was aware of this requirement from a review, but i at least expected their stupid app to actually work properly! 

Heres a pic from my original post mentioning this issue.This "oc mode" is what enables the full factory OC, nothing to do with manual OC.omgwtfisgoingon.jpg

1 minute ago, Dunxy said:

Im not sure you guys follow me here.

We do. But we also have little faith in Gigabytes quality control, especially in their software department.

If it doesn't work as advertised, you have the option of returning it.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

We do. But we also have little faith in Gigabytes quality control, especially in their software department.

If it doesn't work as advertised, you have the option of returning it.

I dare say i will return it, that is a big mindfruit in its own rite with the retailer i purchased it from down here being so anti return its not funny! They actually been fined for breaking the law on this subject, i dare say any fellow Aussie would know exactly who im talking about! Considering that card is a small percentage of the weeks purchases as i did 3 builds, they may be nice!

Now, who has actual factory OC in bios can you tell me? 

I think i recall MSI have it, and I do like the MSI stuff i have worked with in the past so have no issue buying them.

as for EVGA and ASUS, well I think of them just the way you think of gigagyte! Gigabyte has (or maybe at least HAD) a good reputation down here in Australia, at least hardware quality wise anyway, this is why im a bit taken by you guys opinions here, not doubting, just saying :)

Surely you have consumer guarantee laws to protect you like us kiwis. I guess we pay extra for the service though with the GTX 1080's ranging from $1500-1660.

EVGA only advertise a single clock speed, I gather they don't do too much trickery in their advertising. My GTX 1080 FTW should arrive tomorrow so I will find out then.

Asus cards require software to get the factory OC and are nowhere to be seen here in NZ, I had to cancel my pre-order last week as the store said they weren't coming.

MSI advertise clocks for gaming and OC modes, but it isn't a huge issue really.

The tiny improvement (~2%) isn't really worth worrying about.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

Surely you have consumer guarantee laws to protect you like us kiwis. I guess we pay extra for the service though with the GTX 1080's ranging from $1500-1660.

EVGA only advertise a single clock speed, I gather they don't do too much trickery in their advertising. My GTX 1080 FTW should arrive tomorrow so I will find out then.

Asus cards require software to get the factory OC and are nowhere to be seen here in NZ, I had to cancel my pre-order last week as the store said they weren't coming.

MSI advertise clocks for gaming and OC modes, but it isn't a huge issue really.

The tiny improvement (~2%) isn't really worth worrying about.

Yes and no! This retailer is BAD! But they kill prices and have a lot of models.Im not sure of the exchange currently but i know that kiwi $ is even weaker than our dollerydoo! My card was $1130dollerydoos.

I know im being pedantic, but even though i can easily overclock it myself, how do i know if it was even stable at the settings it was supposed to run (im talking clocks and volts, neither of which i can tell what it supposed to do) if their app wont let me, so maybe the card is crap and wont overclock even to the level i should be able to run it at using their stupid rubbish! I kind of just wanted a baseline if nothing more...

Ive had a number of cards (no gigabyte, 2 evga SC 8800gts's many moons ago come to mind) over the years that were not stable at factory overclocks out of the box and i never bothered to stuff around, or couldn't because i imported them and i regret it because in the back of my mind, i think maybe even though i could make them stable, why should i have to?

2 minutes ago, Dunxy said:

Yes and no! This retailer is BAD! But they kill prices and have a lot of models.Im not sure of the exchange currently but i know that kiwi $ is even weaker than our dollerydoo! My card was $1130dollerydoos.

The $1500 NZD I paid is equivalent to only $1405 AUD. I should move to Aus to benefit from your better salaries and cheaper prices.

2 minutes ago, Dunxy said:

I know im being pedantic, but even though i can easily overclock it myself, how do i know if it was even stable at the settings it was supposed to run (im talking clocks and volts, neither of which i can tell what it supposed to do) if their app wont let me, so maybe the card is crap and wont overclock even to the level i should be able to run it at using their stupid rubbish! I kind of just wanted a baseline if nothing more...

GPU boost likely has the card running faster than the rated OC mode clocks anyway, but if they advertise the button, you sure as hell should be allowed to press it.

2 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

The $1500 NZD I paid is equivalent to only $1405 AUD. I should move to Aus to benefit from your better salaries and cheaper prices.

GPU boost likely has the card running faster than the rated OC mode clocks anyway, but if they advertise the button, you sure as hell should be allowed to press it.

Damn,$1400! Id just get one sent from here! If need be a lot easier RMA than say to Murica or the like ;) 

Yes I know, this is why hard to know exactly what card should do, should i press button that i cant freaking press! 

I think ill just stay with this card after having a good look at it this morning.

Even without this stupid "oc mode" profile (which gigabyte claim a boost clock of 1797) its pulling around 1883, so its exceeding its spec so i really cant complain!

Ive had it at hit 2050 boost with 5% voltage increase, which i think is a decent OC anyway (i don't think ive heard of anyone hitting 2100 on air yet?) for a 1080 and changing to another card may give me less, if i lose the lottery ;)

I look forward to hearing how your 1080 goes when you get it, be sure to post your clocks in here.

22 hours ago, Dunxy said:

Ok, I made a post about something else and included this but as it was in wrong section, got ignored!

I bought a Gigabyte gtx1080 windforce OC over a week ago.Now for those that dont know, to get advertised overclock you have to use their 3rd patry GPU unitility, itsa not just in the bios, as it should be!

Now, i could deal with having the overhead of their rubbish app to get my clocks, IF THE THING ACTUALLY WORKED! At leaset for me, it simply wont select the OC mode, only "gaming" and "eco" modes will highlight and apply.

Fresh windows 10 install when i got 1080, all current drivers and windows fully up to date and like NOTHING installed apart from couple steam games,aida64 and corsair link.Nice clean system.

So far the only extreme thing about this rubbish app is the frustration im dealing with.Its getting to the point where i do not want the card! I paid for an FACTORY OC , thats what i want! Sure i can do it myself, but its more i paid a lot of money for a high end card, i want what i pay for! This seriously makes me re-consider gigabyte cards for both my own computers and the dozens i build every year for other people.Forcing 3rd party apps on us is just sad, especially when they don't even work!

TBH, Gigabyte never claimed their OC's are in the BIOS, and as such there's no real foot to stand on the claim it's not a FACTORY OC. You can only RMA it due to it not being able to be enabled in their software. Would recommend taking the card to retailer and have them run it and see if they can enable the setting. If so, then it's unfortunately something on your setup that's not correct. If they also can't get it to work, then you can RMA it.

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

3 minutes ago, Tech Inquisition said:

TBH, Gigabyte never claimed their OC's are in the BIOS, and as such there's no real foot to stand on the claim it's not a FACTORY OC. You can only RMA it due to it not being able to be enabled in their software. Would recommend taking the card to retailer and have them run it and see if they can enable the setting. If so, then it's unfortunately something on your setup that's not correct. If they also can't get it to work, then you can RMA it.

I never claimed they made any claim, just it SHOULD be in the bios because this whole software level factory OC is a joke IMHO.

Looking at the local webpage for their card here, they just list the clocks like this:
Boost: 1797 MHz / Base: 1657 MHz in OC mode
Boost: 1771 MHz / Base: 1632 MHz in Gaming mode

Sure, i knew it was utility based, but they don't actually make it very clear , from that info above,it just claims X clock in X mode, they COULD be interpreted as selectable bios based clocks VS software.NOWHERE I REPEtt NOWHERE DO THEY ACTUALLY SAY TO GET THESE CLOCKS YOU HAVE TO USE THIS RUBBISH! Which i thinks a bit under handed

Like i said Im keeping it, it performs ok.Im sure i could get an exchange if i went in a kicked up a fuss, but i have better things to do with my time that stuff around when even without their bs button being pushed the card exceeds claimed boost clock, so meh!

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2016 at 2:26 AM, Dunxy said:

Same problem here. Bought a windforce gtx 1060 3GB and cannot select OC mode. Saw another post about it as well. We're not alone.

• 6 months later...

Sorry for reviving this, but do I need to run XGE every time in order to use the OC mode clocks? Or once applied it stays in every boot?

• 4 months later...
On 4/1/2017 at 6:23 PM, outsider91 said:

Sorry for reviving this, but do I need to run XGE every time in order to use the OC mode clocks? Or once applied it stays in every boot?

You have to have it running. For example put it on startup. If you close it gpu goes to default. It sucks, MSI afterburner all the way.