Looking to replace my AIO for Air

sfxster

Hi there,

For the last 5 years I've been using an Antec Kühler 620 AIO. It's a good cooler for the money (at least back then) but I'm getting really worried about leaks so I'm on the look for an air cooler.

Currently I have a 6600k at 4.2GHz 1.24 vcore and it goes up to 50°C at full load (using AIDA 64 stress test)

I've been looking at the CM 212 Evo or the Thermaltake NiC L32 which are available in my country but I've been reading positive reviews about the Phanteks PH-TC12DX, it would cost quite a bit more due to shipping and import taxes (about 80USD, for reference, a Noctua D15s is about 140USD)

I want something that is quiet enough but is also capable of keeping low temps so I really need some help with this

AMD R5 3600|MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX|Sapphire RX5700 Nitro+|2x16GB DDR4 3200|WD SN750 500GB|Seagate 2x4TB RAID0|Cryorig H5 Universal|Seasonic GX-750

1 minute ago, sfxster said:

Hi there,

For the last 5 years I've been using an Antec Kühler 620 AIO. It's a good cooler for the money (at least back then) but I'm getting really worried about leaks so I'm on the look for an air cooler.

Currently I have a 6600k at 4.2GHz 1.24 vcore and it goes up to 50°C at full load (using AIDA 64 stress test)

I've been looking at the CM 212 Evo or the Thermaltake NiC L32 which are available in my country but I've been reading positive reviews about the Phanteks PH-TC12DX, it would cost quite a bit more due to shipping and import taxes (about 80USD, for reference, a Noctua D15s is about 140USD)

I want something that is quiet enough but is also capable of keeping low temps so I really need some help with this

I depends how much you want to pay for it. The 212 Evo is a good budget option and will give decent temps similar to your old cooler, but if you want better cooling performance you might want to look at the Dark rock pro 3 or the Cryorig R1 Ultimate/Universal (Depends which would fit) if you dont want to pay quite as much for a D15 (Still wont be cheap though). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Yes I would personally switch to air because it is less points of failure and with a God air cooler you can get nearly the same performance 

13 minutes ago, Snoops111 said:

Yes I would personally switch to air because it is less points of failure and with a God air cooler you can get nearly the same performance 

did you mean to say God or good? xD

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

It shouldn't leak for no reason. The pump dying or it being too loud would be a good reason to replace it. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

It shouldn't leak for no reason. The pump dying or it being too loud would be a good reaosn to replace it. 

I know it shoudn't have a random leak but I'm not very lucky. I mean, I had two FX-6300 couple of weeks before my skylake CPU and they died for no apparent reason (weren't even OC'd)

Also, sholud I worry for the weight of the heatsink on my motherboard? how possible is a bent motherboard due to stress?

AMD R5 3600|MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX|Sapphire RX5700 Nitro+|2x16GB DDR4 3200|WD SN750 500GB|Seagate 2x4TB RAID0|Cryorig H5 Universal|Seasonic GX-750

A large air cooler (like the Phanteks or Cryorig) is going to place a greater strain in the motherboard as compared to the AIO, but assuming you are not routinely moving the chassis around this should not be a concern.

23 hours ago, sfxster said:

Also, sholud I worry for the weight of the heatsink on my motherboard? 

No. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Suggestions (unsure of price point or size preference):

Deepcool Lucifer

Deepcool Neptwin

be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

be quiet! Shadow Rock 2

be quiet! Pure Rock

Cryorig H7

Cryorig H5

The Deepcools are a little harder to recommend simply because there are not a lot of reviews on them so I don't know how they stack up. I do know that the Lucifer should have performance on par with the shadow rock 2.

I would recommend more but it's late and I'm going to bed...

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Thanks for the suggestions. My budget is 50USD and I'm limited to what Amazon sells since I live in a country where Newegg doesn't sells and they don't accept freight forwarders.

I'm looking at

Phanteks PH-TC12DX

Cryorig H5 Ultimate

Deepcool Lucifer

I'm limiting myself to 50USD due to import taxes, any of these coolers would cost twice as much as a CoolerMaster 212 Evo here but if they are really worthy I'd go for an import cooler

I can't speak for the Phanteks since I don't know anyone who has used it.

One of my friends has the Cryorig H7 and is very satisfied with it.

Being a bit of a Deepcool fanboy, of course I would recommend the Lucifer, but keep RAM clearance in mind as well. The Lucifer can also mount two 120mm fans and actually sees a decent bump in performance having two.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

• 2 weeks later...

I found a used Thermaltake Frio OCK, how fares against the Cryorig H7?

14 hours ago, sfxster said:

I found a used Thermaltake Frio OCK, how fares against the Cryorig H7?

The Frio OCK performs much better but is also louder. http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3858/thermaltake_frio_ock_cpu_cooler_review/index6.html

For reference, the H7 is slightly better than the 212 Plus.