WHAT'S THE BEST LINUX BASED OS FOR DELL LATITUDE D810 LAPTOP

So I have this old laptop that nobody is using. I was thinking of getting a laptop for some school work. I currently have Windows XP installed on it and it works fine but I would like an OS that is more up to date and able to run newer programs. I was thinking of installing Linux ubuntu on it cause it's a lightweight OS. I'm planning to use MS Office on it and play some old games on it like Rome total war and Age of Empires 1 and 2.. I'll also use some programs for the school like Virtual Workbench for my projects and watch youtube videos. I've never tried to install Linux before so any help would be appreciated. Basically, I'm looking for an OS that doesn't require many resources, is similar to windows and doesn't prevent any devices from working properly (I have some issues with the speakers and wifi).

You do know that you're not going to be able to get Office on Linux right? If you've never used Linux before I recommend going with something like Ubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, or Mint (these are just a few distros I know off the top of my head).

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

My only experience with Linux is Ubuntu and I personally have enjoyed using the OS. The main thing I wanted to chime in on is that you can not natively run Windows programs, such as the MS Office suite, without a program called Wine. Which for some is a little burdening, and depending on the game could make it run poorly.  

Linux Mandriva or Mageia is similar to Windows. Our school pc's had them and it was ok. Ubuntu is good, but not as similar to Windows as Mandriva/Mageia. Linux can't run .exe files, so you must use some programmes like Wine.

Maybe Lubuntu?

Because actually there's plenty of good linux distros that do use a bit more resources. Though that's due to them being more intended for modern hardware.

Just now, failblox said:

You do know that you're not going to be able to get Office on Linux right? If you've never used Linux before I recommend going with something like Ubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, or Mint (these are just a few distros I know off the top of my head).

Well it looks like OP's laptop is from the XP era so it's specs are well, 2005.

It's got a Pentium M 755 so it's a 2GHz single core CPU.

Anyways yeah OP isn't going to be able to use many Windows programs unless he tries to install Wine but the problem with that is that it doesn't always work. Though LibreOffice (Ubuntu has those packages already installed not sure about Lubuntu, though I think it would.) is a good alternative to MS Office, but so is Google Drive.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

27 minutes ago, failblox said:

I could focus on that later by trying WINE or just use Libra office. I just need it to get the work done. I apologise. I should say that before.

43 minutes ago, JakeBe1234 said:

My only experience with Linux is Ubuntu and I personally have enjoyed using the OS. The main thing I wanted to chime in on is that you can not natively run Windows programs, such as the MS Office suite, without a program called Wine. Which for some is a little burdening, and depending on the game could make it run poorly.  

I'm going to use WINE if it'll work for office. The games I'll play are so old that I doubt it'll make a difference. It's not going to be used for gaming. I just want to be able to play games during lunch brakes in school.

45 minutes ago, ZubrCZ said:

Linux Mandriva or Mageia is similar to Windows. Our school pc's had them and it was ok. Ubuntu is good, but not as similar to Windows as Mandriva/Mageia. Linux can't run .exe files, so you must use some programmes like Wine.

I'm not too demanding. When I said I want something similar to windows I meant the start button, taskbar and controlled like closing the windows and minimising them.

Go grab some live CDs and try different distros and desktop managers. I personally prefer CentOS/Fedora over Debian/Ubuntu but I really like CrunchBang++ because of Openbox, it'll run on any hardware regardless of how slow the CPU, how little RAM you have, or the size/speed of the hard drive.

-KuJoe

43 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Maybe Lubuntu?

Because actually there's plenty of good linux distros that do use a bit more resources. Though that's due to them being more intended for modern hardware.

My tyiping is a disaster... I ment Lubuntu. Sorry.

I've seen some good reviewes of it. I downloaded the file. How do you install it? Like. Can I install it via USB on my laptop?

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Go grab some live CDs and try different distros and desktop managers. I personally prefer CentOS/Fedora over Debian/Ubuntu but I really like CrunchBang++ because of Openbox, it'll run on any hardware regardless of how slow the CPU, how little RAM you have, or the size/speed of the hard drive.

Hmm. Do any of them have any problems with older laptop hardware? I did mention that windows have some trouble with the wifi receiver and speakers for some reason.

Just now, Luka 999 said:

Hmm. Do any of them have any problems with older laptop hardware? I did mention that windows have some trouble with the wifi receiver and speakers for some reason.

Crunchbang worked fine on my old netbook when I tried it a while back. Unfortunately the only way to know if your hardware is compatible is if you try it. 

-KuJoe

6 minutes ago, Luka 999 said:

My tyiping is a disaster... I ment Lubuntu. Sorry.

I've seen some good reviewes of it. I downloaded the file. How do you install it? Like. Can I install it via USB on my laptop?

Oh. You'll need to make a bootable USB.

There's this guide from the Canonical on the Ubuntu site on how to make a bootable USB.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Once your USB is set up you should be able to go into the BIOS and and boot off the USB.

58 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Crunchbang worked fine on my old netbook when I tried it a while back. Unfortunately the only way to know if your hardware is compatible is if you try it. 

I'll try it.

56 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Oh. You'll need to make a bootable USB.

There's this guide from the Canonical on the Ubuntu site on how to make a bootable USB.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Once your USB is set up you should be able to go into the BIOS and and boot off the USB.

OK. I installed it. How do I set the wi-fi connection? It's offline now.

3 minutes ago, Luka 999 said:

OK. I installed it. How do I set the wi-fi connection? It's offline now.

Oh you got Lubuntu installed?

7 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Oh you got Lubuntu installed?

Yes. I wanted to test it. Everything is OK but I'll have to get a bit used to it. The PC is offline and I don't know how to get to the wifi settings.

2 hours ago, Luka 999 said:

Yes. I wanted to test it. Everything is OK but I'll have to get a bit used to it. The PC is offline and I don't know how to get to the wifi settings.

The settings should be at the top right of the screen. If your wifi card isn't being detected at all, you'll have to use Ethernet for now. You might be able to get it working once you install the OS.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

11 hours ago, Luka 999 said:

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but I wasn't exactly sure how network settings work in Lubuntu because I'm most familiar with the GNOME, Unity and Cinnamon desktop environment. Under preferences there should be network options. If you can't connect to wifi you may need to find the linux driver for the wifi card.