MSI GTX 970

Cynestal

So im ordering a MSI GTX 970 for my first ever build and i want to know if its good enough for the first build to make.

Just now, Cynestal said:

So im ordering a MSI GTX 970 for my first ever build and i want to know if its good enough for the first build to make.

Have your already ordered it? If not, I would go out in buy a RX 480/1060 instead as these are more powerful and better value. Nothing wrong with 970, just not as powerful. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

GTX 970 and GTX 960 are currently the worst value cards. If you can cancel your order, just get a custom cooled RX 480 instead. 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

4 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Have your already ordered it? If not, I would go out in buy a RX 480/1060 instead as these are more powerful and better value. Nothing wrong with 970, just not as powerful. 

3 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

GTX 970 and GTX 960 are currently the worst value cards. If you can cancel your order, just get a custom cooled RX 480 instead. 

I cant anymore since its in the shop already and i need to pick it up.

Just now, ScottP said:

Well you'll get by just fine with a 970, but why ask if you had bought it anyway?

Just to be safe.

1 minute ago, Cynestal said:

Shame, you could return it if you really want but anyway. Check to see if you can get the $30 compensation from Nvidia from there 3.5Gb scandal. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, Cynestal said:

Honestly, I would even suggest to return it if the shop allows it. It's not a bad card per say, far from it, but its value is really poor right now. Depends on the price you paid for it though ^^ But a RX 480/GTX 1060 would still be better 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

1 minute ago, roylapoutre said:

Honestly, I would even suggest to return it if the shop allows it. It's not a bad card per say, far from it, but its value is really poor right now. Depends on the price you paid for it though ^^ But a RX 480/GTX 1060 would still be better 

320 euros

You'll be fine with the 970 if you end up stuck with it, just because it's not the best-valued card on the market rn doesn't mean its a bad card.

Just now, Cynestal said:

320 euros

Yup, too much for what it is. In Europe you can find quite easily GTX 1060 and RX 480 for less than 300€. Don't hesitate to return the 970 even though you already received it !  

4 minutes ago, Cynestal said:

Just to be safe.

But you can't really change it now can you? There is still no point in asking to be honest unless you can change.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I think you must try Rx 480 with custom cooler.. try this video from linus tech tips.. if you have a tight budget and want pure performance this gpu will not let you down. and it has no VRAM issue like the GTX 970. I personally have a GTX 970 and i experience the VRAM issue and its quite annoying that i suffer perfromance degredation in some games that utilize more than 3.5gb of VRAM like Shadow of Mordor.