Suggestions for a new headset for gaming

MagnusGrønstad

So I've had my tiamat 7.1 for a little over 3 years now and it's showing signs of aging. (leather crumbling, speakers starting to crackle, and amp getting worn out and feeding distorted audio)

And I want to replace the headset with something relatively cheap (100 USD max) and with decent quality (not that important since I'm not too sensitive to audio quality, thank god) and good surround.

The games i play that benefits from surround are BF4 and unturned,

So yea, suggestions would be nice. and also bear in mind that i live in Norway, meaning shipping is expensive as fuck. that's why I might have to turn down some suggestions. thanks

The logitech G430 are a very popular budget headset or you could just get proper headphones and stick a modmic on them. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

2 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

The logitech G430 are a very popular budget headset or you could just get proper headphones and stick a modmic on them. 

thanks man, will consider those.

and a proper headset with a modmic is far too expensive....

2 minutes ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

thanks man, will consider those.

and a proper headset with a modmic is far too expensive....

Well you can gets good mics for around $20 and spend rest on headphones. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, rn8686 said:

Well you can gets good mics for around $20 and spend rest on headphones. 

they cost around $50 in Norway .-.

I think I'll just get the cloud2 or the G430

3 minutes ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

I can vouch for the awesomeness of the Cloud IIs.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

20 minutes ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

If you're considering either of those 2, get the cloud, simply better quality and audio.

For 7.1, you can consider using Razer Surround or something as the dongle included with the Cloud 2 is apparently quite bad.

Any of the Cloud 1, Cloud Core or Cloud 2 will do the trick, they are based on the same design.

Just a matter of whether you need the extra accessories or not.

I got the Cloud Core as I don't like velour pads and stereo is all that i need.

1 minute ago, Ichi said:

If you're considering either of those 2, get the cloud, simply better quality and audio.

For 7.1, you can consider using Razer Surround or something as the dongle included with the Cloud 2 is apparently quite bad.

Any of the Cloud 1, Cloud Core or Cloud 2 will do the trick, they are based on the same design.

Just a matter of whether you need the extra accessories or not.

I got the Cloud Core as I don't like velour pads and stereo is all that i need.

allrighty mate. thank you for the good response!

and thanks for the tip with razer surround :D

Id recommend the razer kraken 7.1 chroma.

my old headset finally packed in last week so needed a new one. fair play to it it was 3 years old i think and had a rough life but it held on till the end. 

to replace it i got the above mentioned. so far really enjoying it! its comfy and can happily wear it all night (long marathons too). The sounds is crystal clear and the microphone retracts into the left can so its out of the way safe and protected. you can do cosmetic adjustments with the lighted logo via Razer synapse and the mic controls are on the mic head. 

It does take a little tweaking to get the sounds right for you though, when i plugged mine in (USB!! that's all, no jacks) i got no interference from any of the surrounding components, but it blew my head off! needed to turn all my system sound settings down. its on about 40% volume and that's loud enough. for me at least.

its a little pricey at £89.99 but well well worth it. id recommend it to everyone. here's the link.

http://www.razerzone.com/gb-en/store/razer-kraken-71-chroma?src=pgm.81590000&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=razerkraken&utm_campaign=adwordsukbrandaudiokrakenchroma&gclid=CLr_3NOVqs4CFViRGwod3JEFoA

Totally up to you though, 

Tydfil~

2 minutes ago, Tydfil said:

Id recommend the razer kraken 7.1 chroma.

my old headset finally packed in last week so needed a new one. fair play to it it was 3 years old i think and had a rough life but it held on till the end. 

to replace it i got the above mentioned. so far really enjoying it! its comfy and can happily wear it all night (long marathons too). The sounds is crystal clear and the microphone retracts into the left can so its out of the way safe and protected. you can do cosmetic adjustments with the lighted logo via Razer synapse and the mic controls are on the mic head. 

It does take a little tweaking to get the sounds right for you though, when i plugged mine in (USB!! that's all, no jacks) i got no interference from any of the surrounding components, but it blew my head off! needed to turn all my system sound settings down. its on about 40% volume and that's loud enough. for me at least.

its a little pricey at £89.99 but well well worth it. id recommend it to everyone. here's the link.

http://www.razerzone.com/gb-en/store/razer-kraken-71-chroma?src=pgm.81590000&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=razerkraken&utm_campaign=adwordsukbrandaudiokrakenchroma&gclid=CLr_3NOVqs4CFViRGwod3JEFoA

Totally up to you though, 

Tydfil~

thank you for the suggestion mate!
I will consider it :)

my max is about 100 USD, so it's within limits

29 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I can vouch for the awesomeness of the Cloud IIs.

nice

14 minutes ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

nice

Btw, I wouldn't recommend the Razer Krakens. They have far too much bass. The Clouds have better overall sound.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

Btw, I wouldn't recommend the Razer Krakens. They have far too much bass. The Clouds have better overall sound.

I like bass. besides I have mild tinnitus.. so yea..

1 minute ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

I like bass. besides I have mild tinnitus.. so yea..

If you wish. It's just that the bass on the Krakens kinda drowns out all the other sounds. Higher-ends are underpowered, like.

i ware a hearing aid and also have some tinnitus, and ive had no issues with it, interference or the like. and the mic is sensitive so can use it while its still in the headset 

forgot to add that earlier :P

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

If you wish. It's just that the bass on the Krakens kinda drowns out all the other sounds. Higher-ends are underpowered, like.

that bad, huh?
I'm going to consider the G430, the cloud 2 and the chroma. compare prices and reviews

1 minute ago, Tydfil said:

i ware a hearing aid and also have some tinnitus, and ive had no issues with it, interference or the like. and the mic is sensitive so can use it while its still in the headset 

forgot to add that earlier :P

tinnitus is a bitch.

that's a neat fact. :)

Just now, MagnusGrønstad said:

that bad, huh?
I'm going to consider the G430, the cloud 2 and the chroma. compare prices and reviews

Out of those I'd pick the Clouds, but be sure to do your own research :)