Why do I need 8gb?

zinton

Hey guys, I'm in the market to upgrade from my 750ti and I was eying out the rx 480 as it's in my price range at $200. But that's for 4 gb version the 8gb is at $250 which at that point I could get a 1060.

So my question is, is there any value to 4gb of vram vs 8gb? Like if I wanted to VR game or just playing at 1080p?

Thanks for the help!

(I know im going to have to wait a bit for the cards to come in stock)

From my personal experience with my 390, there are quite a few games, even at 1080P that use over 4GB of VRAM.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

3 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

From my personal experience with my 390, there are quite a few games, even at 1080P that use over 4GB of VRAM.

GTA V uses 3.7gb/4gb on my GTX 980

My recommendation would be to get the GTX 1060. The more powerful 1060 will perform better than the 480 even though it has more vram. 

3 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

So does it create a bottleneck reducing the achievable performance of the card? 

3 minutes ago, zinton said:

Hey guys, I'm in the market to upgrade from my 750ti and I was eying out the rx 480 as it's in my price range at $200. But that's for 4 gb version the 8gb is at $250 which at that point I could get a 1060.

So my question is, is there any value to 4gb of vram vs 8gb? Like if I wanted to VR game or just playing at 1080p?

Thanks for the help!

(I know im going to have to wait a bit for the cards to come in stock)

BF1 uses 6GB of ram so it worth getting the better version of the RX480, also the GTX1060 only has 6GB of ram (which is enough for most games now but not BF1), and the GTX1060 is also slower then the RX480 in VR, DX12 and the RX has Vulcan support, in other words the RX480 has more features and you can in the future buy two of them and equal a 1080 OR if you dont have enough the GTX1060 is a very good option for now, maybe not in the future though as you cant put two of them together!

Just now, ctaylor17 said:

My recommendation would be to get the GTX 1060. The more powerful 1060 will perform better than the 480 even though it has more vram. 

The 1060 has 6gb of vram 

Just now, ctaylor17 said:

What would you say at the 200 dollar price point?

1 minute ago, zinton said:

What would you say at the 200 dollar price point?

XFX RX480 8GB OC or Sapphire Nitro RX480 8GB OC

And on the cheap side, Asus GTX1060 Turbo.

1 minute ago, DominicNikon said:

GTA V uses 3.7gb/4gb on my GTX 980

Fantastic sample size you got there. 

Just now, zinton said:

So does it create a bottleneck reducing the achievable performance of the card? 

It can, if you run out of VRAM your PC will use your page memory. This will introduce stuttering into the game.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

At the $200 price point the 480 would be better just there isn't another current generation card for $200. 

just get the 1060

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

9 minutes ago, zinton said:

the 8gb is at $250 which at that point I could get a 1060.

yeah, do that...get a 1060, it's better.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, adams said:

just get the 1060

The GTX1060 is better at DX11 though it lacks power in the Vram department and uses all the Vram in BF1, it is also slower at DX12 and doesnt support SLI/CF or Vulcan like the RX480 does so if it money thats the problem then yes it is good but if not and you can afford the extra few $ then the RX480 is the better option!

i think games will consume as much VRAM as it can, especially at higher resolutions and higher textures. with my 1070, i have ROTTR with ultra textures running at 1440p, and it consumes about 6.5 to 7gb of vram. and in mirror's edge catalyst, running higher than high textures at 1440p will consume just as much vram. meanwhile games like Witcher 3 consume less than 3.5gb of vram 

1 minute ago, DisconnectedYT said:

The GTX1060 is better at DX11 though it lacks power in the Vram department and uses all the Vram in BF1, it is also slower at DX12 and doesnt support SLI/CF or Vulcan like the RX480 does so if it money thats the problem then yes it is good but if not and you can afford the extra few $ then the RX480 is the better option!

good point xD

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

Just now, adams said:

good point xD

Wait i watched that video ubove and the RX480 is cheaper!? WHAT?

Then DAMN buy the RX480!

2 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

i strongly disagree...go watch reviews even in DX12 the GTX 1060 is faster except in hitman which is an AMD game notorious to run bad on nvidia hardware...and those reviews don't even have the cards overclocked...the GTX 1060 has a lot of overclocking headroom and the RX 480 doesn't making it even faster...and in DX11 which is roughly 99.9% of the games out there and probably 95%+ of the games that are going to come out in the next two years the GTX 1060 AT STOCK just slam the RX 480 against the wall in EVERY GAMES.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

i strongly disagree...go watch reviews even in DX12 the GTX 1060 is faster except in hitman which is an AMD game notorious to run bad on nvidia hardware...and those reviews don't even have the cards overclocked...the GTX 1060 has a lot of overclocking headroom and the RX 480 doesn't making it even faster...and in DX11 which is roughly 99.9% of the games out there and probably 95%+ of the games that are going to come out in the next two years the GTX 1060 AT STOCK just slam the RX 480 against the wall in EVERY GAMES.

is 75FPS on the RX480 and 79FPS on the GTX1060 SSC slaming in the wall on DAMN WITCHER 3!

Just now, DisconnectedYT said:

is 75FPS on the RX480 and 79FPS on the GTX1060 SSC slaming in the wall on DAMN WITCHER 3!

NOT OVERCLOCKED? right...yeah...right...now who's the fanboy you said?

either ride your 750 into the dirt while you save more money or buy the 4gig 480........... or buy the new titan. i hear it's the gas......... mannnnnnnnnnnn......................

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

NOT OVERCLOCKED? right...yeah...right...now who's the fanboy you said?

No thats with the XFX RX480 8GB OC vs Stock GTX1060 SSC

Just now, DisconnectedYT said:

No thats with the XFX RX480 8GB OC vs Stock GTX1060 SSC

yeah...overclock that 1060 and look at it rip.

1 hour ago, ctaylor17 said:

Meh, I think the RX 480 will be the better buy once AMD works out the kinks in the supply line.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization