AMD CPU which will go best with the GTX 1060 ?

Hey Guys,

I have decided to go for GTX 1060 now I need a good CPU and a Motherboard to go with it

and as the title says I need a AMD cpu since I am very tight on budget and can't go above 50000 rupees

that's exact ( 749.783 US$ )  which include a single 1080p 21+ inch monitor or triple 1366X768 monitors

power supply, case , keyboard, mouse and yeah I don't need a DVD writer/reader as I don't use it

2716758-4113267393-AMD-v.jpg

You will probably want a AMD FX 8000 series CPU the 8 core models. I will say that on games that are not new (DX12 or Vulcan API) you might see a bottleneck at times.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

AMD FX 8000 series.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

8350. Don't get 9590, it's an 8350 binned so it can overclock better (literally exact same CPU, more money).

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

10 minutes ago, Aventador1996 said:

If you must have an AMD CPU, get an FX-8320 or FX-8350.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

For that budget you should definitely buy an i5 or even used i7.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

BTW, no you don't need an AMD cpu. You'll be able to get a decent rig without having to get one, and frankly, I'd recommend you avoid AMD CPUs until Zen comes out.

So here we go:

Monitor: Literally whatever you can find. I recommend finding a used one on ebay. The triple monitor solution isn't a great idea, and I don't recommend it. -$70

Keyboard and Mouse: Whatever is cheapest. There are nice combos that go for $20-25, and work great - $25

* I'm assuming you are in India, and I'm not sure what the price of computer parts is in that area of the world, so look at whatever retailers you have available, and compare prices in there.

G3258 <--Beast of a value processor -$70

PSU <--- EVGA 430W 80+ Bronze. It'll do - $30

Case <--- Whatever's cheapest and fits-$35

Motherboard <--- AsRock H97M anniversary (you can overclock the g3258 with this) - $70

RAM <--- 8gb of 1600MHz (find the cheapest one) - $40

Cooler - use the stock cooler -$0

HDD <--- I'd recommend a WD Blue, but don't go over $50 on this -$50

GPU <--- Splurge on this. Get yourself a nice 480. - $250/ Or maybe a 960 -$200

Windows License - $100

This setup will crush nearly any kind of 1080p gaming, and it'll do it within your budget

Here a PCPartPicker list of items that'll do nicely:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mFG4nn

3 hours ago, Logarithm said:

BTW, no you don't need an AMD cpu. You'll be able to get a decent rig without having to get one, and frankly, I'd recommend you avoid AMD CPUs until Zen comes out.

So here we go:

Monitor: Literally whatever you can find. I recommend finding a used one on ebay. The triple monitor solution isn't a great idea, and I don't recommend it. -$70

Keyboard and Mouse: Whatever is cheapest. There are nice combos that go for $20-25, and work great - $25

* I'm assuming you are in India, and I'm not sure what the price of computer parts is in that area of the world, so look at whatever retailers you have available, and compare prices in there.

G3258 <--Beast of a value processor -$70

PSU <--- EVGA 430W 80+ Bronze. It'll do - $30

Case <--- Whatever's cheapest and fits-$35

Motherboard <--- AsRock H97M anniversary (you can overclock the g3258 with this) - $70

RAM <--- 8gb of 1600MHz (find the cheapest one) - $40

Cooler - use the stock cooler -$0

HDD <--- I'd recommend a WD Blue, but don't go over $50 on this -$50

GPU <--- Splurge on this. Get yourself a nice 480. - $250/ Or maybe a 960 -$200

Windows License - $100

This setup will crush nearly any kind of 1080p gaming, and it'll do it within your budget

Here a PCPartPicker list of items that'll do nicely:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mFG4nn

WOW ! that's really awesome selection of components OK does that motherboard support GTX1060 ? I'll stretch my budget a little

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

For that budget you should definitely buy an i5 or even used i7.

I am sorry but i5 alone costs me 1/2 my budget and I don't wanna take risk on used parts I will choose a pentium G3258 instead 

15 minutes ago, Aventador1996 said:

I am sorry but i5 alone costs me 1/2 my budget and I don't wanna take risk on used parts I will choose a pentium G3258 instead 

An i5 is like $180

How is that half the budget...?

I thought you said your budget was $750?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

please link a site you will be buying the parts from and we can help you with a build.

For the love of god dont grab a pentium G dual core cpu for modern gaming.

They are garbage.

Please don't take that cpu....  The. Motherboard won't even overclock it either because it isn't z97

16 hours ago, Sintezza said:

For the love of god dont grab a pentium G dual core cpu for modern gaming.

They are garbage.

No, they are actually pretty fantastic. In my personal rig, I am using the g3258, and with a conservative overclock of 4.0GHz, I get a consistent 60fps on pretty much every game I play, with the notable exception of GTA5. In that I only get a consistent 30fps, and that is a shortcoming. It won't be able to play some newer AAA titles that require 4-core processors, and that also is a shortcoming. However, the tradeoff is that it'll play any game that doesn't have that limitation fantastically. 

The monolithic idea of "dual-cores are bad" or "pentiums are bad" just doesn't hold up to reality.

Here's a few LTT videos on overclocking the G3258, it may help explain a bit more:

11 hours ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

Please don't take that cpu....  The. Motherboard won't even overclock it either because it isn't z97

Yes, it actually will. ASRock actually enables overclocking on all of their motherboards with the H97 chipset. It's not great. It doesn't have the overclocking capacity a Z97 or Z87 motherboard, but a 4.0GHz overclock will definitely be achievable on it, he just needs to follow a solid overclocking guide to the letter. To be perfectly honest, I'm not personally informed about how the H97m anniversary edition handles it, since I haven't seen any particular guides on it, but I do know that ASRock has enabled a degree of overclocking support on non-Z chipsets, along with some other motherboard manufacturers. It's definitely not as easy, but on a budget like this, it'll do. Frankly, he could probably get a Z97 board by reducing the cost of the windows license through getting an education license, but I don't know if he has access to that.

18 hours ago, Aventador1996 said:

WOW ! that's really awesome selection of components OK does that motherboard support GTX1060 ? I'll stretch my budget a little

Yes it will, and it probably won't change the price of your build that much. The 1060 is a decent value. Just make sure to include your country's taxes and make sure to check the prices of the components from wherever you are purchasing them from.

*Oh, and don't try to steal windows by getting an illegal version. 100% not a good idea. 

Save $70 and get the Windows Key from here. 

Paul from Paul's Hardware gets his keys from that site and says he has no problems with the keys. 

windows insider ftw. 

1 hour ago, Logarithm said:

No, they are actually pretty fantastic. In my personal rig, I am using the g3258, and with a conservative overclock of 4.0GHz, I get a consistent 60fps on pretty much every game I play, with the notable exception of GTA5. In that I only get a consistent 30fps, and that is a shortcoming. It won't be able to play some newer AAA titles that require 4-core processors, and that also is a shortcoming. However, the tradeoff is that it'll play any game that doesn't have that limitation fantastically. 

The monolithic idea of "dual-cores are bad" or "pentiums are bad" just doesn't hold up to reality.

Here's a few LTT videos on overclocking the G3258, it may help explain a bit more:

But the phrase "pentiums are bad" is true, especially for gaming. The g3258 will be a huge bottleneck to a 1060, nothing less then an i3 should be considered to go with one. The pentium is also bad for gaming as some games will literally not run on two threads, or they will stutter really really bad.

The g3258 was not designed for gaming, it is an overclocking toy that people use as a placeholder for something better.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

40 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

But the phrase "pentiums are bad" is true, especially for gaming. The g3258 will be a huge bottleneck to a 1060, nothing less then an i3 should be considered to go with one. The pentium is also bad for gaming as some games will literally not run on two threads, or they will stutter really really bad.

The g3258 was not designed for gaming, it is an overclocking toy that people use as a placeholder for something better.

One: The g3258 is not an "overclocking toy". It's a value-oriented processor that delivers solid performance for a low price. Seriously, It's not that crazy.

Two: The number of games that have trouble on two threads is low. Low enough that it doesn't invalidate it as a choice for a value-oriented purchase. That's not to say that it isn't a problem to consider. It's just that in a value-oriented build like this, it'll fit the situation much better than an i3 would.

Three: The g3258 will not serve as a "huge" bottleneck to the 1060. It'll serve as a bottleneck, in some situations, undoubtedly. But remember, most games aren't heavily multi-threaded. Pairing the cheapest i3 available with a 1060 will probably actually deliver a worse overall experience, since the single-core performance of the i3 will end up being worse than that of the g3258, and most games are still dependent on single-threaded performance. Also getting a more expensive processor will mean that he'll have to cut back on other parts of his build, which he frankly, doesn't have a huge amount of room for.

*The key thing to remember is that this build is centered around value, and the g3258 has a great value.

Watch the videos that I posted in my earlier comment. Maybe they'll help you understand.

And actually, I revised the list because I think that giving him an easier motherboard to overclock on would be better.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/X8x3tJ<-- (This one has a Z97 board and a 1060 now. It's slightly over $750, but it's really close to it. Try and find these parts in your country, and see what the final price total would be)

However I think that my old list still stands, and it has the leeway to put in an SSD(which is absolutely the first thing that you should get after this)

He can save $50 by getting Windows from the link I posted. And another $12 on a Zotac GTX 1060 Amp from B&H or from the same site save another $30 on the Mini. The mini just ran out of stock and the Amp is still on stock as of now.

Doing both of those will put the parts under or right at $700 with same parts list that @Logarithm put together.

5 hours ago, MachoCyclone said:

Save $70 and get the Windows Key from here. 

Paul from Paul's Hardware gets his keys from that site and says he has no problems with the keys. 

I've bought four keys from them myself, no problems whatsoever.