Nvidia Titan X

Mountaingoat48
Go to solution Solved by Remixt,

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-store here this link should work. Ignore the haters, buy what you want to buy.

Im trying to buy the Nvidia Titan X but the US website wont let me buy the card and it wont add it to my cart. Is anyone else having these same problems? What should I do?

Why do you want to buy it instead of 1080 sli?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Here's what you do:

1) Buy a 1080 instead

2) Spend the $600 savings on something else

3) Enjoy kick-ass frame rates!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

30 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I agree with this. This card has 28.5% more CUDA cores than the 1080, which means that if games utilise 100% of this card and this monster GPU can utilise asynchronous compute and such efficiently that is the maximum percentage increase in performance you will get over a 1080. In all likelihood in real world gaming you won't get scaling like this. (This is assuming that this card even overclocks as well as a 1080, which is a big if on such a beefy, powerhungry, and high TDP card)

If a game gets 28.5% extra performance from SLI, it is considered a bad port and is one of those horror stories held up as an example of why not to use SLI. In general you should be looking at upwards of 50% scaling, with ideally more like 70 or 80%. The worst case scenario for dual 1080 scaling would be best case scenario for this card compared to a single 1080, and yet they both cost around the same amount. I've never considered dual 1080s a value for money option before, but compared to this card it definitely is.

32 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Because its cheaper?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

15 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Because its cheaper?

If you take an aftermarket 1080 (somewhere around 650-700 dollars) the Titan X is around 20-25% faster. Most games these days have sli scaling of at least around 50%. What this means is if you buy 1080 sli instead you'll be paying 8-17% more money for at least a 20% performance uplift in most games. That's not to mention that if you directly compare a 1080 to a Titan X the Titan X costs around 70-80% more expensive for only a 20-25% boost in performance.

Anyhow, if the op doesn't mind waiting a little a 1080ti has to be due in q1 2017 or so and the 1080ti will probably perform around the Titan X for 800-900 dollars.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-store here this link should work. Ignore the haters, buy what you want to buy.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If you take an aftermarket 1080 (somewhere around 650-700 dollars) the Titan X is around 20-25% faster. Most games these days have sli scaling of at least around 50%. What this means is if you buy 1080 sli instead you'll be paying 8-17% more money for at least a 20% performance uplift in most games. That's not to mention that if you directly compare a 1080 to a Titan X the Titan X costs around 70-80% more expensive for only a 20-25% boost in performance.

Anyhow, if the op doesn't mind waiting a little a 1080ti has to be due in q1 2017 or so and the 1080ti will probably perform around the Titan X for 800-900 dollars.

I am sceptical even of this. The Titan X has a really weird number of cores. 3584? Really? It should have had 3840. This implies to me that it is a cut down card, and if AMD's new Vega Fury (assuming there is such a thing) stuns us all then the 1080 Ti will be another 20% better, and I wouldn't expect it to be cheap. I also would not expect them to release the fully enabled version unless they absolutely have to in order to claim to have the most powerful single GPU card at the time.

7 minutes ago, Remixt said:

Apparently giving good advice and trying to avoid people wasting their money is being a "hater" now. I guess some people just enjoy being ripped off.

Just now, othertomperson said:

I am sceptical even of this. The Titan X has a really weird number of cores. It should have had 3840. This implies to me that it is a cut down card, and if AMD's new Vega Fury (assuming there is such a thing) stuns us all then the 1080 Ti will be another 20% better, and I wouldn't expect it to be cheap. I also would not expect them to release the fully enabled version unless they absolutely have to in order to claim to have the most powerful single GPU card at the time.

Apparently giving good advice and trying to avoid people wasting their money is being a "hater" now. I guess some people just enjoy being ripped off.

He didn't come to ask for advise. It would be fine if you helped him solves the problem and then gave said advise. Also being ripped off is totally subjective, some people have enough money that it doesn't matter what it costs. The best of the best graphics card is available for 1200, to some its worth the insane (it is insane) price.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

11 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

2x STRIX 1080 = £1400

1 Titan = £1100

That's almost 25% more expensive. Plus not everyone can run 2 cards in their system, so a Titan X is the way to go if they want the most performance in a small form factor

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

7 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

I am sceptical even of this. The Titan X has a really weird number of cores. 3584? Really? It should have had 3840. This implies to me that it is a cut down card, and if AMD's new Vega Fury (assuming there is such a thing) stuns us all then the 1080 Ti will be another 20% better, and I wouldn't expect it to be cheap. I also would not expect them to release the fully enabled version unless they absolutely have to in order to claim to have the most powerful single GPU card at the time.

I recall hearing it is a cut-down gp102 from somewhere.... It's just like the original Titan all over again.

5 minutes ago, Remixt said:

He didn't come to ask for advise. It would be fine if you helped him solves the problem and then gave said advise. Also being ripped off is totally subjective, some people have enough money that it doesn't matter what it costs. The best of the best graphics card is available for 1200, to some its worth the insane (it is insane) price.

We're trying to help him get the best performance for the money, that's all.

2 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

2x STRIX 1080 = £1400

1 Titan = £1100

That's almost 25% more expensive. Plus not everyone can run 2 cards in their system, so a Titan X is the way to go if they want the most performance in a small form factor

He's not in the uk. Here in the us you can get a 1080 strip for 650 dollars. Two would be 1300, then add 50 dollars for the sli bridge, and you're at 1350 dollars. That's 12.5% more money for over 20% more performance.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Remixt said:

Thank you so much. The link worked and I appreciate you helping me out. Everyone else seems to be trying to give advise I never asked for. Thanks again for helping me!

Just now, Mountaingoat48 said:

Thank you so much. The link worked and I appreciate you helping me out. Everyone else seems to be trying to give advise I never asked for. Thanks again for helping me!

No problem.

9 minutes ago, Mountaingoat48 said:

They mean well. From their perspective what they're doing is the right thing to do, and when their perspective changes with new information, so will their behavior.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

They mean well. From their perspective what they're doing is the right thing to do, and when their perspective changes with new information, so will their behavior.

Have you made a decision yet or still waiting?

I tried to snag one but it said our country is "restricted".

I called customer service and tl:dr SOL !

Long version:

them: "Sorry sir you can't order it yet, we can email you when it's available yada yada..."

me: "Oh, so from the NVidia site I was able to click buy, go to the shopping cart, fill out the order information and click submit, but you're telling me it's all a big joke on NVidia's part, it's all a ruse ?"

them: "Well that isn't us, that's a different company. We're sales."

me: "Oh, so when it didn't go through because it said Canada was restricted, then when I dialed the customer service number and got you directly, you're saying that still isn't you ? You handle customer service for a different company on the side ?"

them: "Oh, um, well I guess you can order it. Let me talk to my supervisor. (on hold) Um, well we put in a ticket to fix the error, you can keep trying all day and hope it's fixed sometime. Anything else we can help you with ?"

me: "Uh, no."

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Have you made a decision yet or still waiting?

Still waiting. I want full benchmarks, not leaks. More concerned with making the right decision than making the decision right now. This is a two year plan for me as right after making this purchase I start on saving for my X99 upgrade. But I'm leaning towards the 1080 SLI.

Just now, App4that said:

Still waiting. I want full benchmarks, not leaks. More concerned with making the right decision than making the decision right now. This is a two year plan for me as right after making this purchase I start on saving for my X99 upgrade. But I'm leaning towards the 1080 SLI.

Good call on waiting.  I've got two loaded in the cart, but I'm doing the same thing.

If you're thinking of going x99 in the future, I'd hold off.  If it's in the next month or so then go for it, but we're too close to Skylake X to not wait and see.

1 hour ago, othertomperson said:

This card has 28.5% more CUDA cores than the 1080

GTX 1080 = 2560 cuda cores

GTX TITAN X = 3584 cuda cores

3584/2560 = 1.4

2560 x 1.4 = 3584

GTX titan X has 40% more cuda cores...not 28%?

Do you know how many games scale anywhere from 0% to 40% with SLI?! i'd say...most of them?

A single Titan X is MUCH better than 1080 SLI...but a single 1080 should be enough for most users...at least for now ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Good call on waiting.  I've got two loaded in the cart, but I'm doing the same thing.

If you're thinking of going x99 in the future, I'd hold off.  If it's in the next month or so then go for it, but we're too close to Skylake X to not wait and see.

I want the extra cores and memory channels. IPC is important but for me moving forward I needs change a bit. Beauty of PC's, they evolve with you. Looking at the 6800k.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

I want the extra cores and memory channels. IPC is important but for me moving forward I needs change a bit. Beauty of PC's, they evolve with you. Looking at the 6800k.

he's right though...the skylake extreme is most likely coming out soon...probably this fall...and i think it will also use a new socket...new chipset, with newer features, better IPC etc.

broadwell_E at this point IMHO does not make much sense...especially coming for a 4790k man ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

he's right though...the skylake extreme is most likely coming out soon...probably this fall...and i think it will also use a new socket...new chipset, with newer features, better IPC etc.

broadwell_E at this point IMHO does not make much sense...especially coming for a 4790k man ;)

But that's a gaming CPU, my rig is moving away from a gaming focus. And I'm not to keen on pigeon holing myself in a socket that's dead after one run of chips like what happened to Skylake. If the performance is there in none gaming tasks of course I'll consider it. But, I don't see that happening. I need lanes, cores, and channels.

Just now, App4that said:

But that's a gaming CPU, my rig is moving away from a gaming focus. And I'm not to keen on pigeon holing myself in a socket that's dead after one run of chips like what happened to Skylake. If the performance is there in none gaming tasks of course I'll consider it. But, I don't see that happening. I need lanes, cores, and channels.

no no you don't get it...that not the gaming line...i'm talking about skylake-E or Skylake-X CPU's...the 8/10/12 core monsters with the skylake improvements...the enthusiast/workstation line of CPU...also skylake and Z170 is not dead the new CPU's (kabylake i think they are called) the i7-7700K has been leaked already and is a direct drop in to any Z170 motherboard.

But Skylake-E/Skylake-X is something else...it's the successor to X99.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

no no you don't get it...that not the gaming line...i'm talking about skylake-E or Skylake-X CPU's...the 8/10/12 core monsters with the skylake improvements...the enthusiast/workstation line of CPU...also skylake and Z170 is not dead the new CPU's (kabylake i think they are called) the i7-7700K has been leaked already and is a direct drop in to any Z170 motherboard.

But Skylake-E/Skylake-X is something else...it's the successor to X99.

Well, earliest I'd be buying is January so no worries. If it's a justified purchase it will be purchased. But it has to be justified.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Well, earliest I'd be buying is January so no worries. If it's a justified purchase it will be purchased. But it has to be justified.

If that's the case, definitely wait for Skylake X in the second half of 2017.  At this point it's looking like both Skylake X and Kaby Lake X will share the same LGA 2066 socket and Kaby Lake chipset.  Not only will you be able to chose between a high clocking 4 core or a encoding crushing 10 core, but you'll get the advantage of up to 44 CPU PCIe lanes combined with the 24 PCIe lanes from the new Kaby Lake chipset.  Both sharing the same platform is a HUGE deal.