PCIe lane support question

I have a 4790-K processor. It supports 16 PCIe lanes.

Here are its specificatios: http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz#@specifications

I have a wifi card in a 1x PCIe slot and my gtx 760 uses a 16x PCIe slot (16 lanes... also single handedly maxes out the number of lanes supported by the processor).

I have 2 questions:

1: Does the 1x lane used by my wifi card negatively effect the gpu performance since more lanes are in use than the processor supports (or am I just totally missing something)? The wifi card works, so if there is a bottleneck does it knock the gpu utilization down to 15 or 8 lanes (since PCIe lanes are usually 1x, 4x, 8x, or 16x)?

2:I'm fairly certain I already know the answer to this, but would adding a second graphics card

Edit: (finishing the post now...) would adding a second graphics card add any benefits at all? Does SLI utilize 32 lanes?

Edited by ATFink
Accidently submitted before I finished the post

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

no it won't affect the gpu.

There are anouther 16 lanes comming from the chipset, which is what the sata, wifi, usb,ethernet are all using.

2 minutes ago, ATFink said:

I have a 4790-K processor. It supports 16 PCIe lanes.

Here are its specificatios: http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz#@specifications

I have a wifi card in a 1x PCIe slot and my gtx 760 uses a 16x PCIe slot (16 lanes... also single handedly maxes out the number of lanes supported by the processor).

I have 2 questions:

1: Does the 1x lane used by my wifi card negatively effect the gpu performance since more lanes are in use than the processor supports (or am I just totally missing something)? The wifi card works, so if there is a bottleneck does it knock the gpu utilization down to 15 or 8 lanes (since PCIe lanes are usually 1x, 4x, 8x, or 16x)?

2:I'm fairly certain I already know the answer to this, but would adding a second graphics card

Edit: (finishing the post now...) would adding a second graphics card add any benefits at all? Does SLI utilize 32 lanes?

No, Mobil has its own pcie lanes. The clue lanes are used for the gpu only. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1. 1x,4x, and 8x are connected to the chipset, not the CPU so the answer is no.

2. Each card would run at 8x and there wouldn't be a noticeable difference.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

The CPU PCIe lanes are exclusively only for the GPU. All other lanes are pulled from the chipset. 

intel_9_series_chipset_z97_overview.jpg

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

10 minutes ago, ATFink said:

I have 2 questions:

1. Not at all. Others have covered this greatly.
  2. You can run two GPUs in x8 mode in SLI and it will greatly outweigh the single card performance hit from running in x8 mode.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 minute ago, straight_stewie said:
  1. Not noticeably. If you only have 16 lanes total, and you use one for your wifi card, your GPU will only run in x8 mode. PCIe only supports these lane configurations/modes: x32 (which for all intents and purposes doesn't actually exist), x16, x8, x4, x2, and x1. Each mode/configuration essentially doubles the bandwidth of the previous mode. This doesn't mean as much as it sounds though. The difference between x16 and x8 modes is rather negligible, equating only to 2 or 3 FPS loss in most games.
  2. If you're processor only supports 16 lanes, then that's all you get. With your WIFI card in, you have 15 lanes to play with. This means that your options are having one GPU in x8 mode, or two GPUs in x4 mode. It depends on what games you play, but sometimes games/applications get very little performance benefit from SLI. Other games get alot of benefit, so much so that it will outweigh running in the slower mode.

In my opinion, the best thing to do would be to replace your wifi card with a USB wifi adapter and then running two cards in SLI in x8 mode.

you are wrong. Please see my post above. There are 2 sets of PCIe Lanes, 16 from the CPU, and more from the Chipset. GPU Chipset lanes are exclusive to the CPU. All others use the Chipset lanes. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

you are wrong. Please see my post above. There are 2 sets of PCIe Lanes, 16 from the CPU, and 16 from the Chipset. GPU Chipset lanes are exclusive to the CPU. All others use the Chipset lanes. 

Yes. I realized that and edited my post. Sorry about that.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Well that was fast. Thanks for the info and saving me a few hours of research and benchmarking. Hopefully this wasn't a question you guys have had to answer 100 times previously.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

moved to CPUs and motherboards

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yay for using the search function before starting my own topic, It's good to know that having two gpus and a wlan card is effectively only x8 for the GPU rather than x8/x4/x4 (with the wlan card using one of the x4's)