Intel CPU confusion.

Is there any possible reason for an ivybridge to be costly than an skylake. I've checked the prices for i5's. Were they originally priced higher?? 2

Also is there a guide anywhere explaing the details of the changes the processors have gone through for every architecture change? I really would appericiate anyone providing a guide or a link to one.

Hey, Intel ark provides all the specs, but I'd like to know about the changes they have been making, how it actually increases performance, and by what amount. Can I find these on intel ark. I'm a noob so don't know much. That's why I'm trying to find a detailed guide or something. 

Also can you answer the actual question, that would be helpful.

12 minutes ago, Narigaur said:

Check Intel ARK. You'll find the things you need there.

Hey, Intel ark provides all the specs, but I'd like to know about the changes they have been making, how it actually increases performance, and by what amount. Can I find these on intel ark. I'm a noob so don't know much. That's why I'm trying to find a detailed guide or something. 

Also can you answer the actual question, that would be helpful

Pricing for Ivy Bridge is likely unreliable since it is long not for sale, and used pricing can vary a lot. Do note whatever people ask for, doesn't mean they get it.

For generation differences while something likely exists out there, I'm not sure where that would be. There are usually good write ups of each generation on sites like Anandtech, but it wont give you all the generations in an overview. Some things will benefit from new architectures more than others.

Personally, I never had an Ivy Bridge but assuming it is near enough the same as Sandy Bridge, going to Haswell got you a bunch of new instructions in AVX2 and FMA, which can give a nice boost to software using it. The refresh to Broadwell was less exciting apart from the novelty of 128MB L4 cache on the desktop parts. This can help some niche cases. On again we get to current Skylake. They tightened some instruction timings which provides a bit of a benefit, as well as bringing DDR4 ram to the mainstream.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The highest tier of CPU's in any particular platform usually get 'expensive' when people realize their lower-end CPU's are a bit slow, and they want to upgrade but not commit to an entire new system.

And why not?  If you're sitting there with, say, a Celeron G1610 (one of the cheaper dual core Ivy Bridge CPU's), and you need a faster computer, buying an i7-3770 and slapping it on your existing motherboard  (if only a cheap board) is an extremely attractive proposition instead of basically buying a new machine with a Skylake which is barely any faster. 

Performance-wise, Skylake is about 30% faster clock for clock.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

38 minutes ago, rdical1412 said:

Is there any possible reason for an ivybridge to be costly than an skylake. I've checked the prices for i5's. Were they originally priced higher?? 2

Also is there a guide anywhere explaing the details of the changes the processors have gone through for every architecture change? I really would appericiate anyone providing a guide or a link to one.

Well there are core2duos that have a $300 msrp. It makes sense for the ivybridge cpus to be prices higher compared to the skylake because they are comperable in performance, so new manufacturing processes will make cpus cheaper just like anything else.

If you are looking for completely specific changes beyond lithography then you will most likely have to go work for intel and get classified info out of them.  

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •