How should I overclock my 6600k?

Hello.

I am new to the overclocking world and I am looking at overclocking my i5 6600k with an h100i water cooler on my Asus Z170-A Motherboard. I was wondering what settings do I need to change to get a stable overclock. 

Here are my temps without the overclock:

30°C Idle

49°C (Max) stress testing with intel's xtu software. 

Also will overclocking void my warranty on my asus z170-a motherboard and 6600k cpu? 

Thanks

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

5 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Hello.

I am new to the overclocking world and I am looking at overclocking my i5 6600k with an h100i water cooler on my Asus Z170-A Motherboard. I was wondering what settings do I need to change to get a stable overclock. 

Here are my temps without the overclock:

30°C Idle

49°C (Max) stress testing with intel's xtu software. 

Also will overclocking void my warranty on my asus z170-a motherboard and 6600k cpu? 

Thanks

I believe it does void your warranty. But unless you really screw up and put 1.6V into the CPU or something, you'll be fine. Just keep it reasonable. But beware, you OC at your own risk.

To overclock, go into your BIOS. I'd not use XTU as software based OC can lead to issues if it becomes unstable - how can you revert changes if your computer won't boot so you can use the software?

Here's a great guide for the settings to change and what they are, plus safe guidelines.

http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/7481/tweaktowns-ultimate-intel-skylake-overclocking-guide/index5.html

EDIT: If you're going for an insane OC (which I don't recommend), you can buy OC protection plan from Intel. Don't buy it though if you just want to get to like 4.5 GHz though, it's a rip-off. It's meant for people pushing the limits of the CPU with phase-change cooling and stuff.

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Generally I increase the clock speed until it crashes (in xtu itself not the bios) then I increase voltage so it no longer crashes. Once I reach a temperature I'm not comfortable going over (usually 75C for me since I like to keep my system cool you don't want to go over 80C regardless) then I stop and run a longer test and set the bios settings to what I have in xtu. Oh and for skylake don't go over 1.45 V since that's outside what we would call safe

Just now, arch_linuxos said:

snip

if XTU crashes it reverts settings to bios settings, rather than keeping them

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I won't be using any software in the operating system. Only using the UEFI BIOS

Tech enthusiast and CS Student