How are these used?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

They're re cheap CPUs that are effective at bitcoin mining.

They're re cheap CPUs that are effective at bitcoin mining.

Yeah but what socket do they go in .etc

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

well, let's wait until someone orders them and then wait a year or so for butterfly labs to actually deliver them and then we'll see if they're legit.

on a more serious note, I'm guessing this is for a build-your-own-miner sort of thing plus it's aimed for larger players since "Minimum purchase:  100 chips" and that equals to $7,500

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

well, let's wait until someone orders them and then wait a year or so for butterfly labs to actually deliver them and then we'll see if they're legit.

on a more serious note, I'm guessing this is for a build-your-own-miner sort of thing plus it's aimed for larger players since "Minimum purchase:  100 chips" and that equals to $7,500

I can get 15 for $25. Pre-order ofc.

They look like BGA chips, i.e. they will be compatible with a certain variant of boards which they are then soldered onto.

They're definitely intended for 'larger players' - more specifically, third party manufacturers. The boards which these chips work in essentially do not exist. There is a reference design available but it's up to the manufacturer exactly how they make use of that schematic.

Yeah but what socket do they go in .etc

They are BGA chips - unless there is a generic "144" BGA socket design (I'm not familiar enough with the standard) then they are soldered directly to a board which is already wired to work with them.

I can get 15 for $25. Pre-order ofc.

You'd struggle to make use of them unless you have some way to build a board using the provided schematic or someone else makes a board without soldering the chip on...

They're definitely intended for 'larger players' - more specifically, third party manufacturers. The boards which these chips work in essentially do not exist. There is a reference design available but it's up to the manufacturer exactly how they make use of that schematic.

They are BGA chips - unless there is a generic "144" BGA socket design (I'm not familiar enough with the standard) then they are soldered directly to a board which is already wired to work with them.

You'd struggle to make use of them unless you have some way to build a board using the provided schematic or someone else makes a board without soldering the chip on...

thanks for clearing that up :)

@natkoui

wait, that's a render and not the actual image of the card? lol, butterfly labs, making people wait a year for their products AGAIN.

@natkoui

wait, that's a render and not the actual image of the card? lol, butterfly labs, making people wait a year for their products AGAIN.

looks like a render to me because of the way it's shadow is propelled and how the pci slot is not actully there but is a grey paint

This is actually something I could get on board with. CPU sockets are proprietary by nature so a bitcoin-mining CPU? No. A bitcoin-mining PCIe device though? Now we're talking.

but still, since bitcoin mining is getting harder and harder, add to that the reputation of butterfly labs plus that the card is still only a render, it wouldn't surprise me that when these actually come out they will be obsolete.

but that's just me

@natkoui

it looks like a gpu style chip and to be sold like gpus are sold to board partners ASUS gigabyte MSI etc you could build your own but it will be less effecent and alot of learning on the way there

but still, since bitcoin mining is getting harder and harder, add to that the reputation of butterfly labs plus that the card is still only a render, it wouldn't surprise me that when these actually come out they will be obsolete.

but that's just me

Oh absolutely, I'm not gonna buy one of these things on faith. I'm just saying a PCIe-based ASIC would be something I'd look at.

These cards could make it super cheap to make a brute-forcing password cracker.

These cards could make it super cheap to make a brute-forcing password cracker.

but who uses SHA-256 for passwords anymore???? everyone is using AES

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

but who uses SHA-256 for passwords anymore???? everyone is using AES

AES is encryption, it means with the key, it can be reversed. SHA is a hash algorithm, meaning it can't be reversed. If someone is using AES to store passwords, they should be fired!