Best-looking AMD Motherboard?

7 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

BTW I played BF4 on FX-8350 @4,53gHz + a heavily OC'd R9 290X combo, which is more or less identical to your setup (290X is faster clock for clock than the 390, as it's got the same chip as present in the 390X)

And the game ran flawlessly. As @i_build_nanosuits mentioned, BF4 is one of those games that work really, really well with the FX line, JayzTwoCents has a video on that, that when he moved from an FX-8350 to an i7-3770K, there was literally 0 difference in BF4. So something in your setup/settings/drivers is wrong, and you should look into that more.

i remember when i was using my GTX 780 i had issues with battlefield 3 perfomrming like complete crap where as bf4 would run great...and then i tried to help someone with the same hardware for which bf4 was running like crap...and we never found what it was..for me BF3 ran like crap until i formated my drive and re-installed everything including the game and all the drivers...i think there is something in battlefield that can make it so that it run like crap and i've never been able to figure out what it is...that game either run flawlessly or it run like poop and i've noticed this first hand...for me it happened when i swapped my video card...no driver re-install or drive wipe out with DDU managed to get rid of the issue...and re-installing the game didn't fixed it either...a complete re-install of windows and all drivers and the game fixed it.

I remember having a hard time getting 50FPS in Bf3 on a GTX 780 where as before i was getting easily 70FPS with the HD7950...then i re-installed everything and then i was getting 100FPS on the same settings...it's wierd but there is denefetly something there i'm 100% convinced on that and i have abslutely no idea what it is...and i guess i'll never know.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Don't ask anything about amd here. People have tridents in their hands.
On the other hand, it's a bad idea to buy an FX processor in 2016. Let's be realists. Go for skylake or wait for Zen and avoid by all means asking about AMD... You wont get any answers other than buy an Intel. Even with Zen same shit will happen. :)

9 minutes ago, stefangtx70 said:

Don't ask anything about amd here. People have tridents in their hands.

... avoid by all means asking about AMD... You wont get any answers other than buy an Intel. Even with Zen same shit will happen. :)

what do you know about that, the dude with a grand total of 4 posts?!

insulting an entire community on day 1 is not the way you should enter the stage son.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I know a little about him. He joined today LTT forums.
Time will tell man. :)

2 minutes ago, stefangtx70 said:

I know a little about him. He joined today LTT forums.
Time will tell man. :)

?! are you high or something?

are you okay?

i was talking about you...

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

?! are you high or something?

are you okay?

You asked me about the guy with the 4 overall posts ( i thought you meant me) and i replied you... who's high? :)

1 minute ago, stefangtx70 said:

You asked me about the guy with the 4 overall posts ( i thought you meant me) and i replied you... who's high? :)

the guy with 4 posts total insutling the entire community on day 1...it's YOU my brother...i was talking about YOU :P lol

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

GTA V is not really well optimized. It is "massively threaded" but not optimized for multiple threads. It is basically just adding the lines of text that @patrickjp93 posted earlier without actually checking if they do what you intended them to do.

You can clearly see that GTA V scales poorly with threads when you compare a 4790k to a 5960X. Scaling is nowhere near as good as in true multi-threaded software such as Cinebench or video rendering software.

Well, you can throw all the threads you want at the problem. The choke point is how much of the program you can parallelize. Only 95%? Then 20 threads is all you ever want (Amdahl's Law).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just to end this giant argument, I ended up with an MSI B150M Mortar Arctic and an i5 6600k.

Intel is more expensive but has better performance and newer hardware. I believe Intel is better for gaming.

AMD is cheaper and uses essentially fake cores. AMD cores are actually two physical cores with two threads in each (if I remember correctly) and use more outdated hardware.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

the guy with 4 posts total insutling the entire community on day 1...it's YOU my brother...i was talking about YOU :P lol

No man, I am not insulting the entire community. I just hate people who do not provide helpful answers to the OP. That's all. Many people here gave useful answers and tips and some other trolls just screwing around. Forums have these things, and we are free to discuss. I made my self clear.

2 minutes ago, dave909904 said:

Just to end this giant argument, I ended up with an MSI B150M Mortar Arctic and an i5 6600k.

Intel is more expensive but has better performance and newer hardware. I believe Intel is better for gaming.

AMD is cheaper and uses essentially fake cores. AMD cores are actually two physical cores with two threads in each (if I remember correctly) and use more outdated hardware.

Best choice you could make for the money you spent. I would wait a little and spend a tad more on the mobo. (Y)
AMD has physical cores. They have 2 integer modules that share a floating point module. It needs serious optimization to make use of that "architecture".

1 minute ago, stefangtx70 said:

Best choice you could make for the money you spent. I would wait a little and spend a tad more on the mobo. (Y)

Any suggestions for the motherboard (under $120)

8 minutes ago, dave909904 said:

sometimes, we like to use a thread to have a more indepth discussion...we love talking about this stuff, and this is what happened here...it was not a giant argument, but rather a nice healty discussion about the subject :)

i see you did your research...amd does use what is called ''CMT'' or cluster based multi-threading...basicaly what they have there is two integer processor per ''module'' those modules also contain 1 FPU (floating point unit) and 1 instruction decoder...so yeah...they aren't 8 core processor...but at the same time they are...that is because there is no real definition of a core. what we know on the other hand (and this has been proved over and over across the whole internet) is that the ''Core'' AMD is using in all their CPU's up to this day are MUCH inferior to the intel ones...you have to go back to around 2008 to find intel CPU's with cores as weak as the ones in current AMD CPU's...and this will impact your gaming experience from anywhere from ''negligeable'' all the way up to ''Deal breaker'' depending on the game, which GPU you use, at which settings etc.

Also, for the i5-6600K i would recommend a Z170 motherboard so that you can overclock it...otherwise just save the money and get an i5-6500/6600 instead. ;)
good luck!

7 minutes ago, stefangtx70 said:

No man, I am not insulting the entire community. I just hate people who do not provide helpful answers to the OP. That's all. Many people here gave useful answers and tips and some other trolls just screwing around. Forums have these things, and we are free to discuss. I made my self clear.

^^ that's not what i see when i read your first post...anyways.

have a good day.

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

sometimes, we like to use a thread to have a more indepth discussion...we love talking about this stuff, and this is what heppened here...it was not a giant argument, but rather a nice healty discussion about the subject :)

i see you did your research...amd does use what is called ''CMT'' or cluster based multi-threading...basicaly what they have their is two integer processor per ''module'' those modules also contain 1 FPU (floating point unit) and 1 instruction decoder...so yeah...they aren't 8 core processor...but at the same time they are...that is because there is no real definition a core. what we know on the other hand (and this has been proved over and over across the whole internet) is that the ''Core'' AMD is using in all their CPU's up to this day are MUCH inferior to the intel ones...you have to go back to around 2008 to find intel CPU's with cores as weak as the ones in current AMD CPU's...and this will impact your gaming experience from anywhere from ''negligeable'' all the way up to ''Deal breaker'' depending on the game, which GPU you use, at which settings etc.

Also, for the i5-6600K i would recommend a Z170 motherboard so that you can overclock it...otherwise just save the money and get an i5-6500/6600 instead. ;)
good luck!

have a good day.

The argument part was exaggerated.

Does the MSI board not officially support overclocking, or can I not overclock it at all? 

7 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

sometimes, we like to use a thread to have a more indepth discussion...we love talking about this stuff, and this is what happened here...it was not a giant argument, but rather a nice healty discussion about the subject :)

i see you did your research...amd does use what is called ''CMT'' or cluster based multi-threading...basicaly what they have their is two integer processor per ''module'' those modules also contain 1 FPU (floating point unit) and 1 instruction decoder...so yeah...they aren't 8 core processor...but at the same time they are...that is because there is no real definition a core. what we know on the other hand (and this has been proved over and over across the whole internet) is that the ''Core'' AMD is using in all their CPU's up to this day are MUCH inferior to the intel ones...you have to go back to around 2008 to find intel CPU's with cores as weak as the ones in current AMD CPU's...and this will impact your gaming experience from anywhere from ''negligeable'' all the way up to ''Deal breaker'' depending on the game, which GPU you use, at which settings etc.

good luck!

have a good day.

I have done my tests man. 2modules 4 thread and 4 modules with 4 threads. The second has the best performance. I downclocked to 2.4 and compared the cb score to a Q6600. It was nearly the same. The 2module 4 thread fall behind the Q6600 at same clocks. I do a lot of research about processors and try everything to give me the right to provide advice and help to people.  :) Buying an FX or even worse an APU is a bad idea in 2016. It's well known.
Have a nice day man.!

Does the MSI board not officially support overclocking, or can I not overclock it at all? 

If the board supports oc is good if not i recommend going with that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566&cm_re=Skylake_motherboard-_-13-132-566-_-Product

5 minutes ago, dave909904 said:

humm...the answer is very grey and you'll probably not like it.

Overclocking on ''other than Z170'' chipset was indeed supported by some motherboard, but there is no official listing for the boards that supported it...also, you had to be on a precise version of the BIOS, with the correct version of windows...intel since then locked overclocking on all locked CPU's and all ''other than Z170'' chipset motherboards through a micro-code update that was rolled out in a microsoft windows update to the masses...so, you'd have to be ''locked in time'' with all the correct pieces of the puzzle in place in order to be able to overclock the CPU...and even then there is no memory overclocking support (no XMP profile...memory run a 2133mhz no matter what you'd try) so yeah...if you want to overclock your unlocked CPU that you pay a premium for, you basically need a Z170 motherboard. :(

Can you recommend any with a white PCB? Excluding the Sabertooth Z170 S.

Im not looking for RGB LEDs or anything like that, just a white board with something covering the ports (i do want that) 

white PCB?

gosh...these things are very rare and usually they are used in much premium hardware...i don,t see any white PCB motherboard that would be priced reasonably...in fact, other than the sabertooth one i don't know of any.

what you should consider is an all black motherboard and use white accents on RAM, CPU cooler, Fans, graphics card etc....

The MSI Z170 PC MATE is an all black board that is cheap...it's decent and will match any color scheme.

1 minute ago, dave909904 said:

I know shit about motherboard color atm. As it seems, there are a few that incorporate the white pcb. Do some research and keep in mind that these mobos wont be cheap enough.

Also, is the $20 for SP120 fans worth it, or should I use the ones that come stock with a 240mm Thermaltake Water 3.0 AIO?

Im not looking for RGB LEDs or anything like that, just a white board with something covering the ports (i do want that) 

the asus Z170 A is a nice board with white accents and a plastic shroud over the ports...you might like it?

it has a brown PCB though...very brown...if you want it with a black PCB you should look at the Z170 A DELUXE motherboard...but you know, a brown PCB when inside a case look black...even with white led lighting...my own board is a brownish color and only when it is under the sun or under direct heavy light can i see that it is brown...in my machine it look like a black PCB.

00-whole_board.jpg

1 minute ago, dave909904 said:

Also, is the $20 for SP120 fans worth it, or should I use the ones that come stock with a 240mm Thermaltake Water 3.0 AIO?

it's expensive...i would try the stock fans first...adjust their speed in your UEFI or by sotware so that they are not too noisy...there is a very big diminishing return from spinning the fans too fast where they get loud as fuck but the temps remain the same...so i think most of the time it's just a question oh having the fanspeed set properly...better higher quality fans will give you a wider window of acceptable ''noise levels'' but spin any fans too fast and they'll get audible...that's just how it is.

So, i'd try the stock fans...see what you can do with them...if they don't satisfy your need consider ordering new fans as a future upgrade for your machine.