4790K overclocking failed

Go to solution Solved by Beeeyeee,

thats odd, try more voltage it can change over time. overclocking wares on your components.

Booted my PC today, got greeted by the BIOS saying that "overclocking failed." It was set to 4.6GHz, tried to adjust it to 4.4GHz, but it still would give me the same error. Anyone know what could be happening?

My Build:

Intel 4790K

ASUS Z97-AR

MSI GTX 970 OC SLI

Kingston HyperX 16GB 

EVGA 750W B2

Just now, TheRandomness said:

What voltage

1.25, it's been fine for 6 months suddenly crapped out, runs fine on stock.

thats odd, try more voltage it can change over time. overclocking wares on your components.

I've never heard of a DC chip degrading from 1.25v, that sounds crazy to me.  I've been running 1.3v+ (usually closer to 1.4) for 18 months without a single bit of degredation.  If it was stable then not at 1.25v at 4.6ghz and you dropped it to 4.4ghz and it still failed then maybe something just got messed up.  have you tried running your same previous OC after resetting everything to stock? 

edit: unless your abusing the thing heat wise or something like that

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

6 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I've never heard of a DC chip degrading from 1.25v, that sounds crazy to me.  I've been running 1.3v+ (usually closer to 1.4) for 18 months without a single bit of degredation.  If it was stable then not at 1.25v at 4.6ghz and you dropped it to 4.4ghz and it still failed then maybe something just got messed up.  have you tried running your same previous OC after resetting everything to stock? 

edit: unless your abusing the thing heat wise or something like that

its not just the voltage, increasing the clock speed is hard on those little transistors. also it varys based on architecture, are you running Haswell too? and yeah whats the average temps?

3 minutes ago, cdominic3 said:

@0ld_Chicken @Beeeyeee i'm running it with a thermaltake ultimate 3.0 360mm rad push-pull, avg temps are 24-27 idle, 50 max when gaming

you got an odd situation. also it could be something on your motherboard failed.

6 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

its not just the voltage, increasing the clock speed is hard on those little transistors. also it varys based on architecture, are you running Haswell too?

yup, 4790k running at least 4.8ghz since I got it 18months back.  I've spent a decent amount of time benching it as well, running up to 1.45v and 5.2ghz.  Still does 4.8ghz at 1.275v just like the day I got her.  If I try 1.265v it'll certainly crash within an hour of anything other than idling.  

I believe in, and am afraid of degradation... Just not at 4.6ghz @ 1.25v while watercooling.  I've talked to a few other users that claim they use higher 24/7 voltages than I do and have never experienced degradation. 

@Benji_w (pretty sure he's banned thou)

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Just now, 0ld_Chicken said:

yup, 4790k running at least 4.8ghz since I got it 18months back.  I've spent a decent amount of time benching it as well, running up to 1.45v and 5.2ghz.  Still does 4.8ghz at 1.275v just like the day I got her.  If I try 1.265v it'll certainly crash within an hour of anything other than idling.  

I believe in, and am afraid of degradation... Just not at 4.6ghz @ 1.25v while watercooling.  I've talked to a few other users that claim they use higher 24/7 voltages than I do and have never experienced degradation. 

dang. I had one that refused to go any higher than 4.2 :(

@Beeeyeee @0ld_Chicken exactly why i'm here, this is flat out weird, even got this to clock to 5.0ghz, i think i should just play with the settings more. increase voltages like you guys said. i'll update you with how this goes.

5.0 king.png

4 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

dang. I had one that refused to go any higher than 4.2 :(

whaaaa?  4770k?

edit: haha finish a thought much?

2 minutes ago, cdominic3 said:

@Beeeyeee @0ld_Chicken exactly why i'm here, this is flat out weird, even got this to clock to 5.0ghz, i think i should just play with the settings more. increase voltages like you guys said. i'll update you with how this goes.

what? I doubt I can boot into windows at 1.325v and 5.0ghz :o not that its necessarily stable but thats a good sign right there.  Did you try the 1.25 and 4.6ghz after resetting everything to stock?

8 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

whaaaa?  4770k?

edit: haha finish a thought much?

4790k, what do you mean? I finished all my thoughts.?

25 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

4790k, what do you mean? I finished all my thoughts.?

sorry, I meant ME finishing my thoughts. My bad 9_9  

I've never heard of a 4790k not being able to get past 4.2.... Mine turbod to 4.4 out of the box without touching a single setting....

2 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

sorry, I meant ME finishing my thoughts. My bad 9_9  

I've never heard of a 4790k not being able to get past 4.2.... Mine turbod to 4.4 out of the box without touching a single setting....

I know its not cool man! i gave it all the volts, it had a liquid cooler, everything. not fair!:P

Clear cmos and try again

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

@Beeeyeee @0ld_Chicken okay boys figured it out, VRM is busted. voltages weren't changing automatically or manually, getting it replaced today. thanks for telling me to adjust voltages wouldn't have figured this out.

1 hour ago, cdominic3 said:

@Beeeyeee @0ld_Chicken okay boys figured it out, VRM is busted. voltages weren't changing automatically or manually, getting it replaced today. thanks for telling me to adjust voltages wouldn't have figured this out.

I'm glad you figured it out. See you in 2-7 weeks when you get your board back!;p