Help with a Network Setup / Overhaul

Hey guys,

So here's the deal. I fell into the lead position of the IT people at my student union (Living in the Netherlands. I could explain if you wanted to know). Anywho.... Our network is seriously dilapidated. We have wires going everywhere through a building so old I can't actually get to them because it's literally a monument. as far as I remember it's all connected to our custom linux server through an old (like 1980s OLD) HP 'SmartPatch' If I recall correctly.

Here's where you come in, I need advice. and some serious advice at that. The Smart Patch is dying, the fans in it broke years ago and I am not sure it'll survive the summer. I need to know if any of you know what kind of gear would be best suited for the kind of stuff I am using. If I should keep the cables I have (Some of them go to parts of the building I can't get to anymore), Or if I should just find out what cables I still use and patch those back into a new system all together.

I really don't know what's the best approach. I'd be happy to get more details for you guys if anyone is serious about helping me out.

Thanks guys!

12 minutes ago, BioHazard4524 said:

Hey guys,

So here's the deal. I fell into the lead position of the IT people at my student union (Living in the Netherlands. I could explain if you wanted to know). Anywho.... Our network is seriously dilapidated. We have wires going everywhere through a building so old I can't actually get to them because it's literally a monument. as far as I remember it's all connected to our custom linux server through an old (like 1980s OLD) HP 'SmartPatch' If I recall correctly.

Here's where you come in, I need advice. and some serious advice at that. The Smart Patch is dying, the fans in it broke years ago and I am not sure it'll survive the summer. I need to know if any of you know what kind of gear would be best suited for the kind of stuff I am using. If I should keep the cables I have (Some of them go to parts of the building I can't get to anymore), Or if I should just find out what cables I still use and patch those back into a new system all together.

I really don't know what's the best approach. I'd be happy to get more details for you guys if anyone is serious about helping me out.

Thanks guys!

Need something cheap? Go on ebay and get something like the quanta LB4M, or the Netgear GS748T. Both can usually be had for less than $100 USD. If you want something good and cheap, check out the Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch line. The switches are feature-packed and reliable.

My native language is C++