How to tell the date something was purchased

TubsAlwaysWins

How do you tell the date something was purchased based off of a serial number or mac address? I have a Netgear switch that was given to me as a gift that stopped working. I am pretty sure it was purchased within the last year. I need the date purchased so I can RMA it

Breaking things 1 day at a time

• NETGEAR itself does not give refunds or offer product upgrades. Refunds come from the place of purchase only.
  • Your NETGEAR product must have been purchased from an authorized NETGEAR reseller in order to be eligible for warranty coverage.
  • Warranty is for the original purchaser only and is not transferable
  • Proof of purchase is required to get warranty service.

1 minute ago, PlayCrackTheSky said:
  • NETGEAR itself does not give refunds or offer product upgrades. Refunds come from the place of purchase only.
  • Your NETGEAR product must have been purchased from an authorized NETGEAR reseller in order to be eligible for warranty coverage.
  • Warranty is for the original purchaser only and is not transferable
  • Proof of purchase is required to get warranty service.

Crap

21 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

How do you tell the date something was purchased based off of a serial number or mac address? I have a Netgear switch that was given to me as a gift that stopped working. I am pretty sure it was purchased within the last year. I need the date purchased so I can RMA it

You cannot determine when something was purchased based on it's Serial Number or MAC Address.

In SOME industries, you can tell (or lookup using an online tool) when the device was manufactured using the Serial Number. HDD's are an example of this. If the HDD was manufactured within the warranty period (Eg: 3 year warranty, and the HDD was manufactured 6 months ago), then you can claim warranty on it, generally regardless of proof of purchase.

With a Netgear product, you need the warranty.

If it was given as a gift, simply ask the person who gave it to you for a copy of the receipt.

The warranty is non-transferable, but how are they gonna know who bought it? Get a copy of the Invoice (if purchased online), or the actual receipt, if purchased in-store.

Hopefully they kept the receipt...

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You cannot determine when something was purchased based on it's Serial Number or MAC Address.

In SOME industries, you can tell (or lookup using an online tool) when the device was manufactured using the Serial Number. HDD's are an example of this. If the HDD was manufactured within the warranty period (Eg: 3 year warranty, and the HDD was manufactured 6 months ago), then you can claim warranty on it, generally regardless of proof of purchase.

If it was given as a gift, simply ask the person who gave it to you for a copy of the receipt.

The warranty is non-transferable, but how are they gonna know who bought it? Get a copy of the Invoice (if purchased online), or the actual receipt, if purchased in-store.

Based on the earlier response from OP, I can only assume they did not keep the receipt..

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

18 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Ok thanks

10 hours ago, Divide_By_0 said:

Based on the earlier response from OP, I can only assume they did not keep the receipt..

Perhaps. But since the OP didn't say one way or the other, all that is, is an assumption. I have no idea whether they have the receipt, or can get access to it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)