XSPC D5 pump not starting

So I put together my first custom loop recently, and everything was working fine. A few days ago my pump (an XSPC D5 Vario) stopped turning on. When I disassembled the loop to have a look at it I found that the impeller was stiff, and it would not start spinning unless I manually spun it. Any advice on what could be causing this and how to fix it?

1 minute ago, Valinor said:

So I put together my first custom loop recently, and everything was working fine. A few days ago my pump (an XSPC D5 Vario) stopped turning on. When I disassembled the loop to have a look at it I found that the impeller was stiff, and it would not start spinning unless I manually spun it. Any advice on what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Was the pump ever run dry check the ceramic bearing surface it should be mirror smooth if it's rough at all it potentially was damaged. Also see if there is any obstructions in the housing that may get in the way of the impeller. 

38 minutes ago, W-L said:

Was the pump ever run dry check the ceramic bearing surface it should be mirror smooth if it's rough at all it potentially was damaged. Also see if there is any obstructions in the housing that may get in the way of the impeller. 

It was dry run for a few seconds, although that was after it had stopped working, and there aren't any obstructions. The ceramic bearing does seem to have some minor damage; there's a small amount of what looks like metal, although I can't tell if the surface is scratched or something is deposited on it.

Thanks for the quick reply btw :)

Just now, Valinor said:

It was dry run for a few seconds, although that was after it had stopped working, and there aren't any obstructions. The ceramic bearing does seem to have some minor damage; there's a small amount of what looks like metal, although I can't tell if the surface is scratched or something is deposited on it.

I would carefully clean it off and try running it in an open loop say with a bucket and the pump primed to see if it's able to move fluid first. 

39 minutes ago, W-L said:

I would carefully clean it off and try running it in an open loop say with a bucket and the pump primed to see if it's able to move fluid first. 

Great, I'll give that a go tomorrow. Thanks for the help :)