Can i sli 2gb and 4gb videocards?

Anfroney

Ive recently purchased a 2nd videocard for a pc and saw that it was a 4gb card, the one already in it is a 2gb card. I am asking if i can sli these 2 cards together, ive seen from lots of people that you can and cant do it. If so how do i do it? Thanks

Phanteks Enthoo Primo Intel Core i7 3930k | Asus Rampage iv Formula | Seagate 4TB 

Dual 480mm Coolgate + 240mm Coolgate | 16GB G.Skill Trident X F3-2400 OCZ ZX 1250W

4GB Asus GTX 670 OC 3 Way Sli Western Digital 2TB | Samsung 830 128GB Raid 0

Yes you can, but you will be limited to 2gb. It SLIs normally. 

You could have searched, we have a gross amount of threads indexed on this very subject. 

Error: 410

I believe you can but, I think it would limit the framebuffer to 2GBs.

Let's see what others say...

Yes, but I wouldn't do it. Generally the rule of thumb is to use cards with same amount and speed of VRam, but it is possible.

You can but you will be limited. And one more thing: Anfroney? Is that you you Aussie?

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Dont really mind aobut the frame buffer being 2gb. Using a single screen atm

Phanteks Enthoo Primo Intel Core i7 3930k | Asus Rampage iv Formula | Seagate 4TB 

Dual 480mm Coolgate + 240mm Coolgate | 16GB G.Skill Trident X F3-2400 OCZ ZX 1250W

You can but you will be limited. And one more thing: Anfroney? Is that you you Aussie?

Long time no see bluejay :o haha

Long time no see bluejay :o haha

JESUS CHRIST NO WAY!!! :D

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

installed latest drivers, when i go to launch any application it just stops displaying anything on my screen forcing me to reboot

http://puu.sh/4Kvhs.png cant get sli to work at all now.

I thought with nVidia the cards had to be the same card with the same memory.

... I was wrong

nVidia

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?

When purchasing a second graphics card, you should try to match the memory size so that you are ensured full value and performance from your purchase. However, while it is not recommended, NVIDIA does offer the flexibility to run graphics cards with different sized memory by using CoolBits. Using CoolBits (value set to 18), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate them together in SLI mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using CoolBits, the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the memory sizes.

Coolbits wiki

Coolbits Download

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4