Download speed is limited?

VredinLad
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The " my network is at 100% usage (100Mbps) " tells me the network card in your computer is configured for some reason for 100 mbps.

Either your network card is capable of only 100mbps , or the other end of the cable is plugged into a 100 mbps port, or the cable had some fault that forced the network card to reconfigure itself in "maximum 100 mbps" mode.

You mention an Asus GigaX 1016D switch. According to its specifications it has 16 x 100 mbps ports, so if you connected your computer to it then your speed will be limited by the maximum 100 mbps speed of the switch.

If this is the case, you need to change the switch to one with gigabit ports, or plug your computer directly in the back of that TP-Link AC1200 router, which has 4 gigabit ports in the back.

Hi there,

When downloading steam games i noticed that my speeds did not match those of my brother, my task manager tells me my network is at 100% usage (100Mbps).

My motherboard supports up to 1Gbps, is it possible my cable does not support more than 100Mbps?  Also when i added my wireless Belkin adapter my download speed went up, does download bandwidth stack with more active ports?

Anyone who can help me?:/

It's either the router's problem or the cable's problem.

Unplug the cable and look in the see through connector. How many wires are there?

what speeds are you paying for from your ISP?
what speeds is your brother getting when downloading the SAME game?

replug your ethernet cable into your pc
sometimes for me it would register a 100mbps connection even though it should be 1gbps

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Don't know where you live but here in the UK, the most popular internet provider (BT) had the most common router only having 1 1Gbps port, rest 100Mbps. This could be your problem, have a look at the router.

4 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:
5 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

It's either the router's problem or the cable's problem.

Unplug the cable and look in the see through connector. How many wires are there?

I can see 8 pins.

1 minute ago, VredinLad said:

That cable is capable of gigabit speeds. Send us what your router is.

what is the speed you (are supposed to) get from your ISP, and what zare the network devices in place? (router, switches, hubs, etc.)

This is what i use: Tp-link Ac1200 router, Ubee EVW320 modem, Asus GigaX 1016D switch and 2 cables to connect my pc with all this (both have 8 pins)

The " my network is at 100% usage (100Mbps) " tells me the network card in your computer is configured for some reason for 100 mbps.

Either your network card is capable of only 100mbps , or the other end of the cable is plugged into a 100 mbps port, or the cable had some fault that forced the network card to reconfigure itself in "maximum 100 mbps" mode.

You mention an Asus GigaX 1016D switch. According to its specifications it has 16 x 100 mbps ports, so if you connected your computer to it then your speed will be limited by the maximum 100 mbps speed of the switch.

If this is the case, you need to change the switch to one with gigabit ports, or plug your computer directly in the back of that TP-Link AC1200 router, which has 4 gigabit ports in the back.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

Thanks all, this seems to be the thing that limited my speeds.

i did some testing with the switch and router and this is the result:

cable in switch: ookla 41.51 Mbps, Steam ~4 MBps ~50% usage (sometimes it went up to 100% causing skype voices to act weird)

cable in router(1st port): ookla 176.56 Mbps, steam ~20 MBps ~20% usage
cable in router(3rd port): ookla 3.4 Mbps, Steam 5-30 KBps 0% usage 

For now ill let my cable be in the 1st port of the router, this gives an average speed of 176.56 Mbps(Ookla speed test) and a solid ~19 MBps Steam download speed.