i7-6700K + Z170XP SLI Setup [PCIe confusion] Octane Render

Hello guys i have this build in mind:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/rzzhgL

I'm abit confused as to how will this work, especially rendering with Octane Render in Cinema 4D (you don't need SLI to be more effective). I just need to know if the speed of the two GTX 1070s has a bottleneck when both will be running at x8, as I understand that the 6700K only supports a maximum number of PCIe lanes  (x16). Or should I get 1 GTX 1080 instead?

Just now, Gpunsalang said:

I'm abit confused as to how will this work, especially rendering with Octane Render in Cinema 4D (you don't need SLI to be more effective). I just need to know if the speed of the two GTX 1070s has a bottleneck when both will be running at x8, as I understand that the 6700K only supports a maximum number of PCIe lanes  (x16). Or should I get 1 GTX 1080 instead?

PCIe Gen 3.0 won't be a bottle-neck in even 2-way SLI setups, for a very long time. So don't worry about it. About 1070 SLI or single 1080, check reviews pitting the 1080 against 1070 SLI, and then decide...

Nothing to see here ;)

3 minutes ago, Gpunsalang said:

Bottleneck will not happen. Generally the rule of thumb is to go with the single fastest card you can afford over SLI. Reason is that SLI support is spotty at times in games and application where you are nearly 100% guaranteed no issues single card. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Anand_Geforce said:

PCIe Gen 3.0 won't be a bottle-neck in even 2-way SLI setups, for a very long time. So don't worry about it. About 1070 SLI or single 1080, check reviews pitting the 1080 against 1070 SLI, and then decide...

Thank you for the very fast and clear answer! so it can work! omg you guys here are literally lifesavers for new builders like me. Thank you :D

6 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Bottleneck will not happen. Generally the rule of thumb is to go with the single fastest card you can afford over SLI. Reason is that SLI support is spotty at times in games and application where you are nearly 100% guaranteed no issues single card. 

With your opinion now I'm confident to go with the GTX 1080. Thank you for the advice!

15 hours ago, Gpunsalang said:

Thank you for the very fast and clear answer! so it can work! omg you guys here are literally lifesavers for new builders like me. Thank you :D

Happy to help! :)

P.S. Unless really necessary, don't go with SLI / CFX configs, as they are always causing trouble, aren't supported in a large number of games, and you don't get most of what you pay for. Unless the card is the top-end GPU, above which you can't get a better one (and you still want more performance), you might have an SLI / CFX setup (at your own risk and money). But if there is a better card that has the performance of the relevant GPUs in SLI/CFX, its best to choose the single-GPU solution.

Nothing to see here ;)