If I get a USB 2.0 hub, I'll gain additional X full-speed USB 2.0 ports?

Tomek20225

Or do I need a USB 3.0 hub in order to achieve this?

Thanks in advance! :D
Thomas

6 minutes ago, Tomek20225 said:

Or do I need a USB 3.0 hub in order to achieve this?

Thanks in advance! :D
Thomas

Neither, unless it's a PCIe card.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

each port is the entire usb 2.0 speed (if you dont get a disaster of a hub) but they share the speed of the usb 2.0 port they're hooked up to the pc with.

If you theory is true I can plug usb hub to sub hub which I can achieve 1000tb/s,?

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

Neither, unless it's a PCIe card.

Then what I gain except extra power ports?
The description of each hub clearly says that I get more ports into which I can plug devices and receive/send data.

Just now, Tomek20225 said:

Then what I gain except extra power ports?
The description of each hub clearly says that I get more ports into which I can plug devices and receive/send data.

They will fully work, just not at the full speed. Think about it, the ports have to send data over the main connector, and share the bandwidth.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

They will fully work, just not at the full speed. Think about it, the ports have to send data over the main connector, and share the bandwidth.

they are all the "full speed" but they share the "full speed" of the uplink, so if lets say you plug in one usb drive it'll be the full usb speed writing to it, but when you plug in a second and start writing simultaniously to both the individual speeds halve.

Just now, manikyath said:

they are all the "full speed" but they share the "full speed" of the uplink, so if lets say you plug in one usb drive it'll be the full usb speed writing to it, but when you plug in a second and start writing simultaniously to both the individual speeds halve.

That's the point I'm making, I'm just not that good at explaining things sometimes...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

That was my first thought when I saw those, but every hub claims to deliver full speed to each port, so I preferred to ask.
The thing is that I have 4 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 on the back of my PC. I have a keyboard, mouse, iPhone dock, webcam, XBox wireless controller receiver and a printer connected. I'm planning to buy a pair of new headphones, which will probably connect via USB. Since I don't want to plug anything up front, I'm looking for a hub into which I will connect, for example, a keyboard and mouse, so that I'll have a free port for headphones and 2 additional ones for the future.

1 minute ago, Tomek20225 said:

That was my first thought when I saw those, but every hub claims to deliver full speed to each port, so I preferred to ask.
The thing is that I have 4 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 on the back of my PC. I have a keyboard, mouse, iPhone dock, webcam, XBox wireless controller receiver and a printer connected. I'm planning to buy a pair of new headphones, which will probably connect via USB. Since I don't want to plug anything up front, I'm looking for a hub into which I will connect, for example, a keyboard and mouse, so that I'll have a free port for headphones and 2 additional ones for the future.

That'll be fine, it's not like those take very much bandwidth at all. Although you should probably get a powered hub, and plug the iPhone dock in to that.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

3 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

That's the point I'm making, I'm just not that good at explaining things sometimes...

These are the answers that I needed! :D
Thanks guys ;)
Just one more thing - a good mechanical keyboard and a mouse will work just fine when connected to a 2.0 hub?

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

here's the way to explain it:

- each usb port is a two lane road.

- the uplink to the computer is also a two lane road.

- as long as the total amount of cars doesnt exceed the capacity of the two lane road to the computer there's no slow down.

- when there's too many cars there's a traffic jam and the devices will have to wait their turn to send cars.

Just now, Tomek20225 said:

These are the answers that I needed! :D
Thanks guys ;)
Just one more thing - a good mechanical keyboard and a mouse will work just fine when connected to a 2.0 hub?

That'll be fine, it's not like those take very much bandwidth at all. Although you should probably get a powered hub, and plug the iPhone dock in to that.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler