pc goes BANG

Go to solution Solved by Wulfgar,

First thing you should do is contact Corsair and see how you can diagnose it. Then, call Asus if the PSU is somehow fine. You want to be able to prove that the hardware died due to manufacturer defect. Good luck.

I appreciate any help and all responses

Today it has been a month since I have constructed my first pc. I had just started playing music, after 30 minutes of it being on and heard a bang from within it was about as loud as some one clapping if not louder( really was an almighty crack)

I took apart my pc to find that there were no noticeable burns on the motherboard, but I can only see a little of the back thanks to the thermal skin . There is no loose debris in my pc and I cannot see a burst capacitor in my psu. the bang stopped my pc dead in its tracks and the fuse and plug socket are fine I can not even get the motherboard light to come on. please help.

regards

steven

specs

4770k Intel processor

z87 asus sabertooth tuf motherboard

stock cooler on processor

corsair hx750 PSU

EVGA graphics card GTX770

RAM corsair dominator 1866mhz

Have you tried turning the system on since that occurred?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Try to remove the thermal armour from your motherboard and see if you can see any burn marks.

Remove the thermal armour and have a visual inspection. A thorough one. Then test each part one by one with a different system.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

You could also do a smell test to see if there is the distinct scent of burned electronics.

You could also do a smell test to see if there is the distinct scent of burned electronics.

Just in case you thought this sounded silly, I genuinely would use smell in my diagnosis of this issue lol

Just in case you thought this sounded silly, I genuinely would use smell in my diagnosis of this issue lol

A PSU with burned components smells so bad.... :blink:

test your PSU by removing every connector and getting a paperclip and sticking it in a green and black wire and see if the fan spins!!!!

if it does then its OK, if it doesn't then your PSU died :(

Cpu: I7-3770k @4.2GHz Mobo: Gigabyte Z77-UP4TH Ram: Kingston Hyper x 16GB GPU: Gigabyte 7950

PSU: Corsair TX 850  HDD: WD RED 2TB Cooling: H100i Case: NZXT 630

I have tried turning it on since it did this and it is completely dead nothing will indicate there is power. When the pc did go band there was a faint burning smell, but it was only around a few seconds.

How do I remove the thermal armour and will it void the warranty ?

Popping in to see what has happened since last post. Hopefully it was just the PSU and not the entire system...:c

Check the motherboard with another PSU. If it doesn't turn on then it is the motherboard. Good thing it has a 5 year warranty though.

Codename: Project Stealth. See profile for specs.

It doesn't make sense that the MB will go bang like that, sure you can fry it pretty bad if something is wrong however it will not make the sound you described , best bet is the PSU. However the psu may have damaged the mb, video card etc in the event of whatever happened. So as many other said check the psu first. However chances are that in the event of this happening it might have given to much power to one or several of you components overheating it and frying it, so just pray to the gods once you sit there and are ready to check it with another psu :unsure:  :wacko:

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

Can I please thank everyone for there help, and it is much appreciated !

I sadly do not have a second power supply so I can not trouble shoot and identify if it is the motherboard or the PSU. I have now done the paperclip test and the PSU fan does not spin.  As a separate question the HX series from corsair does not force the fan to spin unless it is over 20% load, I do not know if this will mean the PSU fan will not spin on start up. If some one know the answer to this it would help me identify the problem. I also don't have a fan to molex connector so I cannot check this way either.

There are plentiful suggestions to remove the armour on the motherboard but at my amateur stage I really don't feel confident enough to take it off and I have no idea if it will void the warranty. I would also like to ask that if a capacitor has gone would there not be some debris in my case because I can not find any.

Finally I would like to THANK YOU ALL.

What are the odds my system is fried and are there any signs I  can look for like burn marks? and will the warranties cover each component?

First thing you should do is contact Corsair and see how you can diagnose it. Then, call Asus if the PSU is somehow fine. You want to be able to prove that the hardware died due to manufacturer defect. Good luck.