4770K build upgrade

Hello community!
I'm planning to upgrade my current desktop rig in steps - PSU, CPU cooler, GPU, case and extra fans plus maybe some RAM sticks...
Current rig specs below (in italic soon to be upgraded/exchanged parts):
Monitor: Trying to find best issue-less 34" ultra-wide - more info below
CPU: i7 4770K @4.00GHz + stock cooler
RAM: Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz HyperX Black CL10
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB WindForce 3X
MOBO: Asus Z87-DELUXE Intel Z87 LGA1150
SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB
HDD1: WD Black 6TB WD6001FZWX
HDD2: WD Black 4TB WD4003FZEX
HDD3: WD Black 4TB WD4003FZEX
HDD4: WD Black 2TB WD2002FAEX -> to be replaced due to Raw Read Errors (probably another WD6001FZWX)
HDD5: WD Black 1TB WD1003FZEX -> after getting new replacement for FAEX, this one will be packed and replaced by Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
PSU: Thermaltake Toughtpower 750W
ODD: LG BD-RE LG BH08LS20
Case: Chaser MK-I  VN300M1W2N

/Monitor/

The monitor will be 3440x1440 - still unspecified model and manufacturer due numerous issues with X34s and P348Q - had two X34s (returned due BLB, visible vertical tearing despite G-SYNC, overheating causing unit shut-down and LED under-bar flashing) and one P348Q (to be returned due BLB, ROG logo turning off itself without a reason and those built-in speaker really sucks - so quiet that can't watch youtube while eating) - will try over and over again till I'll find near perfect one for this buck, but I'm pretty sure to stick to Ultrawide.

/PSU/

Firstly I'd like to switch that pretty antique (~7 year old) PSU for something better with more wattage. Final config (for now just one 1080) would consist of 2x GTX1080s or yet unreleased 1080Ti in SLI so some more power is needed. So far I have no plans for switching CPU&MOBO at least till Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X will be released (with native hardware x265). Storage will finally consist of two SSDs (256GB 850 PRO and 1TB 850 Evo from GS60) plus four HDDs - 2x6TB and 2x4TB in black flavor. Honestly I'm pretty puzzled which one should I choose - something with about 1000-1200W, Gold or Platinum efficiency (Titanium is way over my budget) and a price tag of roughly 250-300USD - I know that taking that PSU for single or even two 1080 is a bit overkill but I'd like have nearly silent build with PSU fan spinning only during load. Ah and long warranty is welcome (like with EVGA ones). And probably there might be some availability problems in my home country (PL) so presenting few models to choose from is welcome.

/CPU cooler/

Don't kill me for still using Intel stock cooler - didn't have money to spare on it as my main gaming rig was GS60-2QE (970M) and it was used rather as storage machine and incredibly rarely as gaming tool. But as that laptop is getting more
and more rusty after ~18 months I'm preparing to ditch it for desktop and getting it replaced or cashing it back (numerous flaws under warranty like dying screen with whitespot/overheating/fan failing/issues with power section causing screen flashing etc.). So its time to fix cooling issue. Did some research about CPU cooling and after some brainstorming, measuring and wallet checking crossed out AiO LCS as a bit too pricey for me (taking into account other mods), so only air based ones are left - do you think that Dark Rock PRO 3 would be the best choice in terms of lowest noise levels? And no more than 90-100 USD price-tag. And of course no puke-shit colored Noctua's - something black or with metallic accents.

/GPU/

As far for GPU I'm not eager to spend ~700 USD for it but I'd prefer one but powerful one (DX11 wise) than getting SLI or CrossFire at start (taking into account power-draw and emitted heat into room) so I'll probably stick to cheapest non-referent 1080 with as little as possible color accents (eg. no red MSI's but maybe ZOTAC's) and longest warranty.

/CASE/
About a case, current one is becoming more and more overcrowded (eg. SATA drives) and thought about ditching it for something more roomy - by a chance I managed to see one from Thermaltake - Core x9 - got amazed by three things vertical MOBO placement, great access to component from any side and stack-ability. But after some time I'm getting doubts - fans from current case (200mm ones) are a bit noisy so I don't think that x9's ones would be less audible... Other option is soon to be released DG-87 - great looking and future-proof for my distant LC plans... What do you think about that in ~250 USD range?

/other stuff/

As for extra fans and RAM, it all depends how much will be left in my pocket after all these mods and which case I would choose - DG-87 in stock have nearly all fans already installed - only 2 140mm can be installed later. For RAM I would either add two more 1600 8GB sticks or swap old ones for higher clocked 4x8GB DDR3s  but it is way to soon to anticipate course of action (why I need so much RAM? Like running few VM simultaneously).

/sidenote aka server-NAS plan/
Got an idea how to reuse my old X58 build or rather MOBO itself and some other scrap parts - as second-hand E5620 is extremely cheap (~$12) combining it with leftovers from this system (GTX770, PSU, case) and old Intel 520 120GB SSD might be a good start. All I need is some cheapo cooler and ECC RAM, some NAS-friendly drives and 10Gbit card... But it's for a different time...

Wow that is a lot of storage space.

Sounds like you've got it all planned out pretty well to me.  I'm not sure you need a lot of feedback.  EVGA PSUs are awesome with great warranty.  Dark Rock Pro 3 is a great cooler.  Zotac 1080 is good, though I like the look of Asus Strix personally.  Case is all about personal preference.  For future RAM upgrade, don't worry about getting high clocks as it is usually not a noticeable upgrade, although it is oddly satisfying to have all RAM sticks exactly the same.  Same for case fans - it's nice when they match.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Also, I would definitely add some custom sleeved power cables to such an epic rig.  And be sure to set aside an hour or two for cable management.  It's a pride of ownership thing.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

14 hours ago, LtxPL said:

~snip~

Hey there LtxPL :) Welcome to the community! 

That's an impressive build! What are you using it for? 

Are you using those WD Black drives in any sort of RAID? Have in mind that these drives are not designed for RAID usage or to be installed in a larger number in the same case. Though they are performance drives capable of extensive and heavy workloads and are designed to handle harsher environments, having that number of drives in the same case close to each other may result in issues due to vibrations or heat. I'd rather go with WD Red drives instead of WD Black for such type of usage as they have the additional features and design to work specifically in such environments. 

Post back if you have any questions,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

21 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

Wow that is a lot of storage space.

Yep, got a huge games, VM, music, movies and tv dramas collection. But in the final build there will be like 8 or 9 TB of free space across various drives...

Sounds like you've got it all planned out pretty well to me.

Been planning this upgrade for some time with few months breaks.

EVGA PSUs are awesome with great warranty.

Been thinking about Corsair PSUs due to addition of designated monitoring soft with Corsair Link -  is it worth using it, assuming difference in price to be negligible? Warranty length is the same (10ys)...

Dark Rock Pro 3 is a great cooler.

Good to hear - I know this one to be quite a pain to mount at first but hey you do it not so often...

Zotac 1080 is good, though I like the look of Asus Strix personally.

Well I would choose the cheapest one as difference in OC is minimal - Zotac might be a bit pricey than EVGA but with 5 year warranty at start while the latter warranty can be upgraded. Strix got one drawback - I won't use that many HDMI ports (not planning to become VR-junkie at least for now) and DP might be useful for two additional monitors with >60Hz & >1440p...

Case is all about personal preference.

Still waiting for full reviews of DG-87 but quite possibly I'll order both to the store and choose the one I like more...

For future RAM upgrade, don't worry about getting high clocks as it is usually not a noticeable upgrade, although it is oddly satisfying to have all RAM sticks exactly the same.

Thanks for info about speed but honestly with dual tower like Dark Rock Pro RAM will be hardly noticeable.

Also, I would definitely add some custom sleeved power cables to such an epic rig.

Might consider doing that but it might get pricey ~110USD at local store (CableMod kit). That's why I ditched idea of buying Thermaltake PSU - cheaply looking sleeves...

And be sure to set aside an hour or two for cable management.

Well said, effect is worth the effort - not only visually but also practically - know that after managing 9-plug extension cord and all cables connected to it plus Ethernet cables nearby...

It's a pride of ownership thing.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there LtxPL :) Welcome to the community! 

Thanks!

That's an impressive build! What are you using it for? 

Built solely as a gaming rig in '13, but it evolved into programming and VM rig plus some ready to use music and video library. Plus with full release of Windows Server 2016 I'll probably ditch W7...

Are you using those WD Black drives in any sort of RAID? Have in mind that these drives are not designed for RAID usage or to be installed in a larger number in the same case. Though they are performance drives capable of extensive and heavy workloads and are designed to handle harsher environments, having that number of drives in the same case close to each other may result in issues due to vibrations or heat.

Nope just as single disks - did my research back in '14 how should I upgrade and which color should I choose. As for temperatures I monitor them all the time in Crystal Disk Info and the hottest temperature recorded is 43C on WD4003FZEX with max idle is at 38C, surprisingly WD6001FZWX is way cooler despite higher capacity - max temp at load is 40C - waaaay cooler than in online tests. As for vibration I might figure out something...

I'd rather go with WD Red drives instead of WD Black for such type of usage as they have the additional features and design to work specifically in such environments. 

But they need to be in RAID - at least level 1, but due to shortage of funds atm I'll buy them (or Gold or SE/RE) for my NAS build (X58 + Xeon) on later date... Had one Red drive (WD30EFRX) but it failed pretty soon due to bad sectors and couldn't recover too much data due to firmware (didn't know then why you shouldn't use Red as single drives; fortunately had copy of those files)... Got replacement drive (recertified) and put it unopened into storage for a later date and until recently had it unsealed I discovered after running HD Tune 5.6 test that 01 SMART ID (Read Raw Errors) parameter is growing (Raw values; two digit number) is it enough for sending it on warranty? While passing WDL test?

Post back if you have any questions,

Same question for other drive WD warranty (WD2002FAEX) - another drive with growing 01 SMART ID - this number is currently at 605 and while opening specific files that number grows by few and drive slows down a bit - all other possible causes (port/cables) are crossed out so it must be the drive...

/sidenote/

OFC I have backups - nearly a dozen older drives with capacity of 1 or 2TB with sensitive files written from time to time and then put in to storage box.

I think vibrations are you main concern with a lot of HDDs.  Be sure that your new case has nice rubber drive mounts to help isolate vibrations.  And depending how important your sensitive data is, you should consider off site storage as well.  Even if it's just an encrypted usb stick you keep at your mom's house!  

be sure to post some pics once you get this thing built!

PC Build

Desk Build

35 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

I think vibrations are you main concern with a lot of HDDs.  Be sure that your new case has nice rubber drive mounts to help isolate vibrations.

Thing is that Red drive was never inside my case - neither the first one nor the second, I have expansion card which consists of 2 esata and 1 molex port and respective cables so with closed case I can plug internal drives with full SATA3 speeds. And this Tt case got some rubberized plugs so I can nearly sense no vibration when touching metal and plastic parts near the drives. Moreover I did some drive switching between slots with no different impact on the drives - numbered slots where they were, switched, been using for few months and rechecked. Interestingly the first WD2002FAEX was DoA, second is dying, and what's more I've been using 5 HDD configs since '09 with no issues...

45 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

And depending how important your sensitive data is, you should consider off site storage as well.  Even if it's just an encrypted usb stick you keep at your mom's house!

Good idea, I tend to save data on microSD cards and hide them, well I won't disclose locations :)

1 hour ago, CostcoSamples said:

be sure to post some pics once you get this thing built!

Of course!

Well you could always try some enterprise grade drives if you are worried about reliability.  I think Linus did a video on them a while back.

PC Build

Desk Build

17 hours ago, LtxPL said:

~snip~

For the vibration part you could check the S.M.A.R.T. status of all drives and see if there's anything abnormal in the 191 0xBF G-sense Attribute that may indicate that the drives are suffering from those vibrations. If there's nothing there then you should be safe. :) Let me know if you need help with that.

WD Red drives can freely operate as standalone drives and do not necessarily need to be used in a RAID configuration in order to operate safely. I'm sorry to hear about the failed WD Red that you had, but this shouldn't have anything to do with it not running in a RAID configuration. The Read Raw Errors don't necessarily mean that the drive is malfunctioning as it can be caused by a number of things included software and other problematic hardware. As long as the drive is passing the WD DLG tests and all the other raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status are fine it should be safe to use. 

You can run the chkdsk /r on those drives to see if you have problems accessing any of the sectors. If you'd still want to go through the RMA process you can contact our Live support.  

Kudos for the backups as many people neglect having them and realize how important is to have your valuable data on multiple places only when it's too late. :)

Let me know if you need more info! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/