The new heatkiller water blocks compatibility with custom models of the GTX 1080

Yeah, a simple question. Is there anyone who owns the Zotac AMP! Edition of the GTX 1080 and the heatkiller IV water block, if so are they compatible?

Heatkiller doesn't offer any info about this specific model besides that it's "unknown" if it fits.....

2 minutes ago, IRaE said:

Yeah, a simple question. Is there anyone who owns the Zotac AMP! Edition of the GTX 1080 and the heatkiller IV water block, if so are they compatible?

Heatkiller doesn't offer any info about this specific model besides that it's "unknown" if it fits.....

So the heatkiller IV is an Intel CPU block, I feel bad for having experience in doing this.

Look for the diagonal distance between the 4 screws around the GPU die in the GPU PCB, and then try to find the diagonal size between the waterblock screws (most likley searching for that is easier if you just look at the size of the LGA it mounts to). And then compare those sizes, if there within about 2mm it will be possible (if your brave).

"Hmmm, this is for sure the type of music you listen to,  if you want to lose friends."

'That last one' ??

1 minute ago, Geeb_ said:

So the heatkiller IV is an Intel CPU block, I feel bad for having experience in doing this.

Look for the diagonal distance between the 4 screws around the GPU die in the GPU PCB, and then try to find the diagonal size between the waterblock screws (most likley searching for that is easier if you just look at the size of the LGA it mounts to). And then compare those sizes, if there within about 2mm it will be possible (if your brave).

Does this look like an CPU block to you?

1012930-1.jpg

Just now, Geeb_ said:

oh, Correction the block IS a GPU block, sorry. Well then a bit of common sense is required (does it look like it will work). Most likely it wont, but hey you might get lucky ( :F )

"Hmmm, this is for sure the type of music you listen to,  if you want to lose friends."

'That last one' ??

4 minutes ago, Geeb_ said:

oh, Correction the block IS a GPU block, sorry. Well then a bit of common sense is required (does it look like it will work). Most likely it wont, but hey you might get lucky ( :F )

t would seem like it would work but some capacitors are located at the wrong places or aren't even there so......

1012930-3.jpg

28.jpg

Just now, IRaE said:

t would seem like it would work but some capacitors are located at the wrong places or aren't even there so......

1012930-3.jpg

28.jpg

Confident with power tools?

'That last one' ??

Just now, Geeb_ said:

Confident with power tools?

No, I see that I would need to drill out a piece to fit the second power plug but....... My dad maybe but he's not the best when it comes to PC's

No, I see that I would need to drill out a piece to fit the second power plug but....... My dad maybe but he's not the best when it comes to PC's

Meh, give it a go, its a good water block and DIY is always fun, me and my friend do DIY on PCs all the time (Or cause PCs to DIY)

Get it 'DIY' - 'Die' 

hehehe 

kill me

'That last one' ??

Pretty sure the PCB on the zotac card is to tall, the connector on the block would hit the PCB. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

4 minutes ago, Lays said:

Pretty sure the PCB on the zotac card is to tall, the connector on the block would hit the PCB. 

Yeah, now that you say that..... I looked it up and the card pcb is 50 mm longer than the water block

Yeah, now that you say that..... I looked it up and the card pcb is 50 mm longer han the water block

If the block isn't designed for the pcb it will not fit without modding it, or making your own block. Usually with nonreference cards not every conpany will make a block for every different pcb.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

15 minutes ago, Geeb_ said:

Meh, give it a go, its a good water block and DIY is always fun, me and my friend do DIY on PCs all the time (Or cause PCs to DIY)

Get it 'DIY' - 'Die' 

hehehe 

kill me

DIY would probably end up like this

1012930-3.jpg

Just now, IRaE said:

DIY would probably end up like this

1012930-3.jpg

Yh, seems easy as far as I can tell

'That last one' ??

Just now, Geeb_ said:

Yh, seems easy as far as I can tell

Yeah but as LAYS said, the PCB is to tall so I would need to somehow extend the tubing compartment thing 50 mm up so it doesn't touch the PCB.....

Just now, IRaE said:

Yeah but as LAYS said, the PCB is to tall so I would need to somehow extend the tubing compartment thing 50 mm up so it doesn't touch the PCB.....

Mmmm, I think it might be better to use a compatible block then, you choose.

'That last one' ??

1 minute ago, Geeb_ said:

Mmmm, I think it might be better to use a compatible block then, you choose.

Them i'm screwed, no one makes a water block for this card (for what I know) and the reason it must be this card is because it's the cheapest 1080 available to me......

At least the back plate is universal......... :|

38 minutes ago, IRaE said:

1012930-3.jpg

28.jpg

DONT DO IT! You WILL fuck up either the card, the block or BOTH. This block is for REFERENCE design PCBs and the AMP! Extreme has a custom one. Best bet is to roll with the stock cooler or return it and buy a card with an available full-cover block

• CPU
    Intel Core I5 6600k @ 4.4ghz
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX Fury @ 3666mhz
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1070 @ 2100mhz
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed Blackout edition
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • NEW Seagate Skyhawk 2TB
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
  • Sound
    Generic Dell Speakers and Razer Kraken USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

3 minutes ago, SpeederT12 said:

DONT DO IT! You WILL fuck up either the card, the block or BOTH. This block is for REFERENCE design PCBs and the AMP! Extreme has a custom one. Best bet is to roll with the stock cooler or return it and buy a card with an available full-cover block

Yeah, the block has been ruled out now....

So now that the block has been ruled out I have some other options, the EK VGA Supremacy (with those little attachable heatsinks) or just keep the stock cooler and rethink the way I want to make my loop.....

vga_supremacy-temp.jpg

Alphacool-GPU-Heatsinks-15x15mm-black-10-Stk-19120-0.jpg

52 minutes ago, IRaE said:

So now that the block has been ruled out I have some other options, the EK VGA Supremacy (with those little attachable heatsinks) or just keep the stock cooler and rethink the way I want to make my loop.....

You might want some active cooling for things like the vrms, especially if you are overclocking.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Okay so I think I will go with the ASUS GTX 1080 Turbo edition instead of the AMP edition by Zotac, so this thread will be null from now or at least until someone else want to continue. Even if that wouldn't make sense since the heatkiller IV only works on refrence PCB version of the 1080 but still......... Yeah I think I will change it to be about more than heatkiller water blocks, EKWB incoming be ready.....

Just last night I hit up a microcenter to buy up some new parts to water cool my 2 zotac amp edition cards in sli using my old swiftech mcw60 universal via water blocks. I have 3 of thrm for some reason. Anyways I have the upgraded "80" (forgot the name of it now) bracket that was needed for later Nvidia cards that happens to work with the 1080 as well.

Since the card already has a heatsink mounted on the hardest part (power regulators) I'd only need to mount small heatsinks on the ram.. and I have a ton of those around.

I also looked up that ek universal block and would rather go with that but the wife would rather save $100+. :/

Anyways I'm trying to talk myself out of it.. I can just exchange the card for a fd one and get a block made for those but I worry about coil whine. And these zotac cards don't have that! Overclock ok for a 1080.. seems bios is holding it back but I can't complain about 2050mhz though it dances under that during benches.

Love the look of the stock air and lights on these but with my motherboard (Asus maximus vII hero 1150) I only end up with a single card space in between the 2 1080s. :/

The first card cooks around 80 during benches. Haha.. with just a single card I only seen 64c at the highest tempt prior.

I always water cooled my cards but ran air for my last 980 sli setup and it was good enough holding temps below 70.

These zotac cards are nice and silent even with the fans at 100 which I've been runing them under load.

Sucks.. feel like if I could upgrade from the 4790k setup to a 6700k and a new mb with proper 2 slots of gap between the cards I could just keep going air.. would cost be more though at like 8-$900 :/