How long can I extend my HDMI cable with extension Adaptors?

Go to solution Solved by Syntaxvgm,

The problem with extension via adapters is it relies on the outgoing signal strength (believe it or not some devices are weaker than others) and the quality of the cabling. I have a good 50 foot cable that goes through a brush plate in my office to the other side of my living room to my tv. I used to have an additional 10FT on top of that with no problem, and I tested an extra 25. Though, I would not go over 75 foot myself. If HDMI over Ethernet is not appealing, here's an idea- get good 50 foot cables (they're not bad priced, look for amazon reviews ) and put splitters in between the 50 foot sections of cable as range boosters- there cheap and do the same thing. 

Here's a good splitter I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D66RAU/ (bonus- it strips HDCP)

Youll notice that hdmi cables you see that are 75 foot and above with good reviews have a "signal booster" in the middle, which is basically a repeater that works about the same way as the splitter but unpowered (using splitters is better for this reason, most hdmi repeaters are unpowered, and are often rated only for ~ 100ft). The latency is negligible, and thankfully for security cameras that doesn't matter very much. If this were a computer you were hooking up, you'd have to worry about  USB or a solution for it, my 50ft cable has 2 range extenders in it (same chips as usb hubs) and a powered usb hub on the end to give full device power. 

EDIT- changed link to right product 

I have a huge distance of 140 meters to cable from my basement to the top floor with having to connect to a HDMI display in every floor for a security camera. The camera provides a HDMI output and I had 3 spare HDMI monitors to hook it up with.

I want to know if it'll be possible to use extension(amplifier) adapters every 20 meters for the entire length along with 1 x 2 HDMI splitters where I'm putting up the HDMI display.

I'm adding an image for further reference to make myself clear. I just need to know if this setup will work before I can invest money to buy the splitters(amplifier) and adapters.

BUILD:

CPU: i7-13700K| Motherboard: ASUS Z790 Prime - CSM | RAM: 16GB x 2 (Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600Mhz)

GPU: Nvidia 3070 Founder Edition | Case: NZXT Flow H7 | PSU: CoolerMaster 100W

probably not possible.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

probably not possible.

Signal will drop out? Any other ideas? Wireless or something or that sort?

BUILD:

CPU: i7-13700K| Motherboard: ASUS Z790 Prime - CSM | RAM: 16GB x 2 (Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600Mhz)

Just now, Jash Jacob said:

camera -> pc (capture card) -> software that displays said input -> use some sort of monitoring program (teamviewer)? -> other LCD screens

you can run teamviewer on a pentium d so...

im going to assume that the signal is going to drop out because its so long.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

hmm do these AMPs need an external power source ? Could be a pain if they do.

And 140m with hdmi o.O that sounds like, a project

2 minutes ago, Jash Jacob said:

HDMI over cat6 is normally good for about 150ft so might need a repeater

HDMI over copper for fibre is your best bet!!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, thomasths27 said:

hmm do these AMPs need an external power source ? Could be a pain if they do.

And 140m with hdmi o.O that sounds like, a project

The ones i found on local amazon doesn't require powersource. Wonder if that's okay?

But the 1x2 splitter has powersource so will it have some sort of boost?

BUILD:

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

HDMI over cat6 is normally good for about 150ft

How many times can I do this conversion ?

BUILD:

1 minute ago, Jash Jacob said:

How many times can I do this conversion ?

Not 100% sure

if you need further, look into HDMI over copper or even HDMI over fibre!!!

I think you are approaching this wrong

Get a camera set up, connected to a nearby PC, use remote desktop to monitor the cameras+

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I was thinking along the same lines as @themctipers. I'm not hugely familiar with this sort of thing, but think it's more possible to have just output to one computer/raspberry pi or something and then just remote connect to view from other locations using another raspberry pi or soemthing small and affordable at those locations.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, Jash Jacob said:

Get a little raspberry pie with hdmi. connect it with your home Network. (If u have W-lan outside even better)

Set it up to stream into your network.

Get a small pc ( or a raspberry pie) for all, or two monitors close to each other and view the stream with vlc or some other viewer.

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I was thinking along the same lines as @themctipers. I'm not hugely familiar with this sort of thing, but think it's more possible to have just output to one computer/raspberry pi or something and then just remote connect to view from other locations using another raspberry pi or soemthing small and affordable at those locations.

I don't want to go wireless because of thickwalls in my building..

BUILD:

5 minutes ago, Jash Jacob said:

The ones i found on local amazon doesn't require powersource. Wonder if that's okay?

But the 1x2 splitter has powersource so will it have some sort of boost?

Probably

12M (40ft) is about the maximum length at which the signal is still reliable.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

2 minutes ago, thomasths27 said:

Get a little raspberry pie with hdmi. connect it with your home Network. (If u have W-lan outside even better)

Set it up to stream into your network.

Get a small pc ( or a raspberry pie) for all, or two monitors close to each other and view the stream with vlc or some other viewer.

I need it to work without any setup even if the power fails. I shouldn't have to restart and setup anything of that sorts. Power cuts are common where I'm from 

BUILD:

The problem with extension via adapters is it relies on the outgoing signal strength (believe it or not some devices are weaker than others) and the quality of the cabling. I have a good 50 foot cable that goes through a brush plate in my office to the other side of my living room to my tv. I used to have an additional 10FT on top of that with no problem, and I tested an extra 25. Though, I would not go over 75 foot myself. If HDMI over Ethernet is not appealing, here's an idea- get good 50 foot cables (they're not bad priced, look for amazon reviews ) and put splitters in between the 50 foot sections of cable as range boosters- there cheap and do the same thing. 

Here's a good splitter I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D66RAU/ (bonus- it strips HDCP)

Youll notice that hdmi cables you see that are 75 foot and above with good reviews have a "signal booster" in the middle, which is basically a repeater that works about the same way as the splitter but unpowered (using splitters is better for this reason, most hdmi repeaters are unpowered, and are often rated only for ~ 100ft). The latency is negligible, and thankfully for security cameras that doesn't matter very much. If this were a computer you were hooking up, you'd have to worry about  USB or a solution for it, my 50ft cable has 2 range extenders in it (same chips as usb hubs) and a powered usb hub on the end to give full device power. 

EDIT- changed link to right product 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

11 minutes ago, Jash Jacob said:

I need it to work without any setup even if the power fails. I shouldn't have to restart and setup anything of that sorts. Power cuts are common where I'm from 

o.O I don't want to give wrong info especially if there is much what can go wrong. But maybe get an HDMI to lan/(cad5/6)  converter/streamer/extender. Lan/(cad5/6) can often go 150m without a AMP. But i dont really know how they work.

It may be too late if you already have the camera. But if not maybe you could go with a different type connection.

i don't think hdmi is meant to work like your diagram. If coax cable is an option, that may work. I have ran a coax cable over 200ft to a HD directv box without signal loss.

150ft was the recommend max distance, but 200 worked without an amp.

Intel 5930k/ asus x99 deluxe II/ 32gb crucial ballistix ram/ Evga 1080 ti SC2/ enermax air cooler/ enthoo luxe case

9 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

The problem with extension via adapters is it relies on the outgoing signal strength (believe it or not some devices are weaker than others) and the quality of the cabling. I have a good 50 foot cable that goes through a brush plate in my office to the other side of my living room to my tv. I used to have an additional 10FT on top of that with no problem, and I tested an extra 25. Though, I would not go over 75 foot myself. If HDMI over Ethernet is not appealing, here's an idea- get good 50 foot cables (there's not bad priced, look for amazon reviews ) and put splitters in between the 50 foot sections of cable as range boosters- there cheap and do the same thing. 

Here's a good splitter I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQP6PTK (bonus- it strips HDCP)

Youll notice that hdmi cables you see that are 75 foot and above with good reviews have a "signal booster" in the middle, which is basically a repeater but unpowered. The latency is negligible, and thankfully for security cameras that doesn't matter very much. If this were a computer you were hooking up, you'd have to worry about  USB or a solution for it, my 50ft cable has 2 range extenders in it (same chips as usb hubs) and a powered usb hub on the end to give full device power. 

Thank you! This is very informative. I don't mind the latency at all.

BUILD:

1 minute ago, Jash Jacob said:

Thank you! This is very informative. I don't mind the latency at all.

heads up I changed the link, I linked to a switch instead of a splitter. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Mk7-Golf-R said:

It may be too late if you already have the camera. But if not maybe you could go with a different type connection.

i don't think hdmi is meant to work like your diagram. If coax cable is an option, that may work. I have ran a coax cable over 200ft to a HD directv box without signal loss.

150ft was the recommend max distance, but 200 worked without an amp.

Coax can do 1080p?

BUILD:

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

heads up I changed the link, I linked to a switch instead of a splitter. 

Noted.

BUILD:

Just now, Jash Jacob said:

Coax can do 1080p?

It can, my cable box played in 1080i easily. But it may be different when using it for a security camera. 

I was just thinking for reliability, maybe coax or Ethernet.  It seems like a lot of potential failure points with several hdmi amps and splitters.

Intel 5930k/ asus x99 deluxe II/ 32gb crucial ballistix ram/ Evga 1080 ti SC2/ enermax air cooler/ enthoo luxe case