Motherboard for I7 4790k

Go to solution Solved by MCCOPRA,

yes after 2 days of hard work - summer heat and optimizations my setup is finally back in business.

Final Config

I7 4790k 4.7Ghz@1.278vid@1.304Vcore 

4x8Gb HyperX 1866Mhz@2133mhz 1.55Vdimm

MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G 1040@1100 Core - 1500-1600 Mem - Power Limit %50 - No Voltage - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13789996

4.7Ghz Stable Offset Mode Final.jpg

will keep it coming for changes.

Hi,

I was currently using my I7 4790k cpu at 4.7ghz@1.3v with my Msi Z97A Gaming 7 but unfortunately the motherboards one of the voltage controllers for case fan gave up so i have to sent it for rma.

Talking with the company they offered me Change the broken module (repair the Motherboard).

or get MSI Z97 Gaming 3 with them paying me the difference or get MSI Z97S Krait SLI the With them paying me the difference 

I am sure that i will never ever do any crossfire or sli config till they fix the windowed full screen mode for multi-gpu so 

Thinking of going Gaming 3 since it will be brand new i will get some money to save up for zen upgrade in Q1 2017 in the mean time i can use my i7 with 4.7Ghz@1.3v.

because if i get the board repaired ( I wont trust them ) it can create more problems since they will be 3rd party repair company.

What to do ? need some help to make my mind. 

2 minutes ago, MCCOPRA said:

Hi,

I was currently using my I7 4790k cpu at 4.7ghz@1.3v with my Msi Z97A Gaming 7 but unfortunately the motherboards one of the voltage controllers for case fan gave up so i have to sent it for rma.

Talking with the company they offered me Change the broken module (repair the Motherboard).

or get MSI Z97 Gaming 3 with them paying me the difference or get MSI Z97S Krait SLI the With them paying me the difference 

I am sure that i will never ever do any crossfire or sli config till they fix the windowed full screen mode for multi-gpu so 

Thinking of going Gaming 3 since it will be brand new i will get some money to save up for zen upgrade in Q1 2017 in the mean time i can use my i7 with 4.7Ghz@1.3v.

because if i get the board repaired ( I wont trust them ) it can create more problems since they will be 3rd party repair company.

What to do ? need some help to make my mind. 

Stay with the gaming 7? Why are you thinking of going to zen? It could be awful for all we know.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Keep the MSI Z97 Gaming 7 obviously because you wont be able to run the cpu at that speed if you get the Gaming 3, And also it won't have the features that the Gaming 7 has such as more USB ports or sound quality as well as the number of Sata ports for hard drives and ssd's. Just keep the Gaming 7 and don't be ridiculous!

Current PC: "For Now Because I Have A Habit"

CPU: Intel Core I7 6700K @4.5Ghz

Motherboard: Asrock Z170 Extreme4

RAM: 16GB G.skill TridentZ 3200Mhz DDR4

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 Riing RGB Edition 

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition MSI

Case: Limited Edition Thermaltake View 31 Riing RGB

Power Supply: CoolerMaster V750 Fully Modular

SSD: Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB

HDD: 3TB Toshiba 7200RPM

Peripherals:

Monitor: AOC U2868PQU 4K 28" 60HZ

Keyboard: G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 RGB Cherry MX Red

Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite

Mouse Pad: Razer Goliathus Speed Extended

Speakers: Creative SBS A250

Headphones: Razer Kraken Pro 7.1

1 hour ago, SLIClocker said:

Keep the MSI Z97 Gaming 7 obviously because you wont be able to run the cpu at that speed if you get the Gaming 3, And also it won't have the features that the Gaming 7 has such as more USB ports or sound quality as well as the number of Sata ports for hard drives and ssd's. Just keep the Gaming 7 and don't be ridiculous!

Overclock wise I dont think it will be a problem since even the basic msi z97 pcmate can provide 1.9v cpu voltage with 1.3 vcore. So overclocking is more related to cpu cooling and chip lottery. Usb side no problem the ports will be enought too. On sata wise i will be using m sata 250gb evo dropping sata to 4 port that will be just right for 2x250 gb evo raid 0, 2tb hdd and a optical drive or even can use usb optical and add another 2tb but since i have 3tb nas and a 2tb timemachine i dont need more storage. So gaming 3 will be just right in my mind if i am not wrong.

13 hours ago, MCCOPRA said:

Overclock wise I dont think it will be a problem since even the basic msi z97 pcmate can provide 1.9v cpu voltage with 1.3 vcore. So overclocking is more related to cpu cooling and chip lottery. Usb side no problem the ports will be enought too. On sata wise i will be using m sata 250gb evo dropping sata to 4 port that will be just right for 2x250 gb evo raid 0, 2tb hdd and a optical drive or even can use usb optical and add another 2tb but since i have 3tb nas and a 2tb timemachine i dont need more storage. So gaming 3 will be just right in my mind if i am not wrong.

So you are just going to downgrade for absolutely no reason at all? Well that is just stupid because you will be disappointed... Very disappointed.

Peripherals:

16 minutes ago, SLIClocker said:

So you are just going to downgrade for absolutely no reason at all? Well that is just stupid because you will be disappointed... Very disappointed.

Thank you, the downgrading reason is that they can only repair the motherboard not replace with a new one thanks to great support in Turkey.

Instead of using repaired(not trusting their repairs) motherboard, I was thinking of getting gaming 3 (New one Plus 100 US Dolar Refund).

Also Regarding your downgrade concern I have used my system with even the cheapest motherboard available to 1150 socket.

MSI H81M-P33 is like 45 US Dolars and aside from having 2 Memory slots the only thing that kills me is that there is no raid support I even overclocked up to 4.7Ghz@1.3v using the board and it run stable for 4 hours of aida64 stress test but due to board having no proper cooling i dialed it back to stock and kept using it.

so usb 3.1 no problem there is not even 3.1 products on cyprus that i am using.

and usb port are fine the mas i will plug in the case back is 6 usb anyways.

sound and network is same in gaming 7 and 3 so no problem there even H81M-P33 is safe here with my 4mbit internet connection. as long as its gigabit network i wont have any problems.

sata no problem i can just pop in a raid pci-e card if i need but wont be necessary since i will be using 4 sata ports with m.2 onboard.

Sli-Crossfire I Tried crossfire for a month with 2 r9 390 cards, I loved the fps but every time i try to alt tab it killed itself so i sold the other r9 390 to my friend and gone back to 1 card since i am mostly playing 1080p it wont be a problem for me as long as i get stable 45-60fps in all games. But when they fix their drivers to support windowed fullscreen or even alt tab response i may go back and try it but only hope so far is having dx12 support it but that is not the issue here .

and your major concerns is overclocking 

that one i have to try going down from gaming 7 6+6 phase design to gaming 3 3+3 phase design can be problem to find stable voltage points but both cards are analog controllers so with a days work i probably will figure out the sweet spot for voltage.

Cooling wise both motherboards have the same heatsink design only difference due to high phase count on gaming 7 it has a heatpipe in the middle so same heatsink less phases should be cooling fine unless i go crazy with voltage over 1.4vcore or something since the stable poing for me is 1.3v@4.7Ghz it probably be fine.

Sorry if i look stone minded but unless i see hard prof I will probably keep digging the same spot. 

21 minutes ago, MCCOPRA said:

Thank you, the downgrading reason is that they can only repair the motherboard not replace with a new one thanks to great support in Turkey.

Instead of using repaired(not trusting their repairs) motherboard, I was thinking of getting gaming 3 (New one Plus 100 US Dolar Refund).

Also Regarding your downgrade concern I have used my system with even the cheapest motherboard available to 1150 socket.

MSI H81M-P33 is like 45 US Dolars and aside from having 2 Memory slots the only thing that kills me is that there is no raid support I even overclocked up to 4.7Ghz@1.3v using the board and it run stable for 4 hours of aida64 stress test but due to board having no proper cooling i dialed it back to stock and kept using it.

so usb 3.1 no problem there is not even 3.1 products on cyprus that i am using.

and usb port are fine the mas i will plug in the case back is 6 usb anyways.

sound and network is same in gaming 7 and 3 so no problem there even H81M-P33 is safe here with my 4mbit internet connection. as long as its gigabit network i wont have any problems.

sata no problem i can just pop in a raid pci-e card if i need but wont be necessary since i will be using 4 sata ports with m.2 onboard.

Sli-Crossfire I Tried crossfire for a month with 2 r9 390 cards, I loved the fps but every time i try to alt tab it killed itself so i sold the other r9 390 to my friend and gone back to 1 card since i am mostly playing 1080p it wont be a problem for me as long as i get stable 45-60fps in all games. But when they fix their drivers to support windowed fullscreen or even alt tab response i may go back and try it but only hope so far is having dx12 support it but that is not the issue here .

and your major concerns is overclocking 

that one i have to try going down from gaming 7 6+6 phase design to gaming 3 3+3 phase design can be problem to find stable voltage points but both cards are analog controllers so with a days work i probably will figure out the sweet spot for voltage.

Cooling wise both motherboards have the same heatsink design only difference due to high phase count on gaming 7 it has a heatpipe in the middle so same heatsink less phases should be cooling fine unless i go crazy with voltage over 1.4vcore or something since the stable poing for me is 1.3v@4.7Ghz it probably be fine.

Sorry if i look stone minded but unless i see hard prof I will probably keep digging the same spot. 

I cannot speak about the quality of Turkish repairs, but if it is warranty repair, then repair your gaming 7. Even if they make a bad repair, the most likely thing to break again, is the very same fan voltage controller, i.e. no biggie, and you have lost nothing really.

Then, why on Earth have you already decided to upgrade to Zen? We know literally nothing about the processors and their efficancy. I am in the process of "upgrading" (due to my very limited budget) from a 2008 Intel Q9550 to an 2012+ AMD FX-83XX unit. To my surprise, I found out that I might be downgrading, as benchmarks shows that the 4 year older Q9550 2.83 ghz has better Single core performance than the newer 4.0 ghz FX-8350. 

Point is, you have an excellent 4790K and I could almost bet money on that the new Zen won't beat even the 4790K. Looking at how AMD did polaris, it might be so that AMD (this is all speculation on my part) will aim Zen to target an older generation of intel cpus,not skylake. Thus, it could be targeting haswell/broadwell, in which case, spending money on switching from an excellent 4790k would be a waste of money. 

I hope I am wrong about this, and that Zen would press down prices of skylake, but one can only hope.

So don't plan on upgrading. Plan on keeping the 4790K for a while longer. Try to keep the gaming 7.

Spoiler

Mobo: Asus Z370-A Prime

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Beast

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB

Case: Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass, Black

SSD 1: Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD

SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

SSD 3: Crucial MX500 500 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 64MB 4TB 7200 rpm

PSU: Corsair RM750X v2

Display 1: AOC Agon AG271QG

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

8 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

I cannot speak about the quality of Turkish repairs, but if it is warranty repair, then repair your gaming 7. Even if they make a bad repair, the most likely thing to break again, is the very same fan voltage controller, i.e. no biggie, and you have lost nothing really.

Then, why on Earth have you already decided to upgrade to Zen? We know literally nothing about the processors and their efficancy. I am in the process of "upgrading" (due to my very limited budget) from a 2008 Intel Q9550 to an 2012+ AMD FX-83XX unit. To my surprise, I found out that I might be downgrading, as benchmarks shows that the 4 year older Q9550 2.83 ghz has better Single core performance than the newer 4.0 ghz FX-8350. 

Point is, you have an excellent 4790K and I could almost bet money on that the new Zen won't beat even the 4790K. Looking at how AMD did polaris, it might be so that AMD (this is all speculation on my part) will aim Zen to target an older generation of intel cpus,not skylake. Thus, it could be targeting haswell/broadwell, in which case, spending money on switching from an excellent 4790k would be a waste of money. 

I hope I am wrong about this, and that Zen would press down prices of skylake, but one can only hope.

So don't plan on upgrading. Plan on keeping the 4790K for a while longer. Try to keep the gaming 7.

A note on Zen, its predicted to have near Haswell performance (note that I said near-its the best I have as AMD has been very vague as to exactly which tasks it performs the best).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, MCCOPRA said:

"snip"

You wrote all of that for no reason, And you can trust a computer repair store! Just get the motherboard repaired and stop complaining. You are being very stupid. Do not put a MSI Z97 Gaming 7 to waste!

Edited by tobben
shortened/removed big quote.

Peripherals:

1 minute ago, SLIClocker said:

You wrote all of that for no reason, And you can trust a computer repair store! Just get the motherboard repaired and stop complaining. You are being very stupid. Do not put a MSI Z97 Gaming 7 to waste!

I don't know how much you are aware of the current situation in Turkey (and the general image one gets from how things are done in that country), but questioning the quality of the repair work is a legitimate thing to do. If a person from that area tells me that the repairs can be fishy, I do believe them.

However, I do agree with you that he should not waste the mobo, and as I stated in my earlier post; if the repairs are indeed bad, it is the case fans that won't work properly, i.e. not a real issue, as you can get separate fan-controller modules. Or some people even use the cpu-fan controller to control all fans in the case (not that I'm sure if this is a good or bad solution...).

Spoiler

Mobo: Asus Z370-A Prime

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Beast

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB

Case: Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass, Black

SSD 1: Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD

SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

SSD 3: Crucial MX500 500 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 64MB 4TB 7200 rpm

PSU: Corsair RM750X v2

Display 1: AOC Agon AG271QG

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

2 hours ago, SLIClocker said:

Thx for not reading too.

So worst things that can happen when i get gaming 3 are

4 less back panel usb (Usb Hub)

2 less sata ports (can always use add-on card if needed)

no sli (Really not care)

and not overclock to 4.7ghz@1.3v ? (even the simplest board can do 4.5ghz and 1.3v)

and if its not working at all I can always get some semi decent overclocking board if needed.

so going to get gaming 3 and will cry to you guys later if i do :P 

Thanks.

About Zen I am an AMD Guy from the beginning from Slot A 800mhz Model

but i got my i7 - Gaming 7 from a deal 9 months ago and was a big upgrade from fx6300 4.5ghz - msi 970 gaming / combo. hoping similar or better performance to I7 from zen if it is I can easily sell my I7 4790k and gaming3/7 mobo since in Turkey/ Cyprus Everyone is Intel Fan and don't have clue what AMD has & does.

5 minutes ago, MCCOPRA said:

Thx for not reading too.

no sli (Really not care)

and not overclock to 4.7ghz@1.3v ? (even the simplest board can do 4.5ghz and 1.3v)

and if its not working at all I can always get some semi decent overclocking board if needed.

Thanks.

but i got my i7 - Gaming 7 from a deal 9 months ago and was a big upgrade from fx6300 4.5ghz - msi 970 gaming / combo. hoping similar or better performance to I7 from zen if it is I can easily sell my I7 4790k and gaming3/7 mobo since in Turkey/ Cyprus Everyone is Intel Fan and don't have clue what AMD has & does.

Um....AMD hasn't really done anything on the CPU side since, well, 2012. And even then they were 2-3 generations behind Intel, which Zen appears like it will be as well. AMD really hasn't done anything noteworthy since K10 when Phenom II were very good value for money (and we had the first true hex core CPU), so I can understand why people in Turkey don't pay much attention to AMD hardware.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, MCCOPRA said:

Thx for not reading too.

no sli (Really not care)

Thanks.

Ok well have fun not being able to achieve you overclock again. I warned you and don't come telling me i didn't. Also adding a add-on card for sata ports costs money. And when you say that the most simplest board can do 4.5ghz @1.3v Yeah that is until the board cannot take it anymore and will die. Don't forget about motherboards when they come into play for the silicon lottery.

Peripherals:

32 minutes ago, SLIClocker said:

Ok well have fun not being able to achieve you overclock again. I warned you and don't come telling me i didn't. Also adding a add-on card for sata ports costs money. And when you say that the most simplest board can do 4.5ghz @1.3v Yeah that is until the board cannot take it anymore and will die. Don't forget about motherboards when they come into play for the silicon lottery.

Here you go a review of the Gaming 3 where they push 4.4ghz 1.35v with a I7 4770K CPU (The Review) and i cannot remember last time any mobo gave up on me from overclocking even if it last for 6 months i will be fine with it. since i can sent it back and get another downgrade/replacement :P

Thanks all for your info sorry for being a headache. I will inform you about overclock values on sunday if i get my mobo friday or saturday. thank you all. 

Hey Got My Mobo on Friday Night installed all the things back together with os and games, run stable for a day and finally OC time is here.

did some digging in the gaming 3 bios to see if any different from gaming 7 luckily they are same and even gaming 3 has some updated features too or I was a bit outdated with gaming 7.

Test One 

5Ghz with 1.40v - did not even boot so i did not push over 1.4v since i wont be using it any voltage over 1.4v for 24/7.

Test Two

4.9Ghz with 1.40v - booted the system becnhed with Aida64 like 15 min got stable but was hitting 100 Degree Celsius so was out of my cooling power maybe if I get a custom water cooling or 280mm AIO soon - validated my results and moved on. http://valid.x86.fr/r31fja 

Test Three

4.8Ghz with 1.352v - Booted the system fine benched with aida64 for 15 min got stable, some core temps were jumping to 91-94 C but overall safe in 80s.

got validated http://valid.x86.fr/nmt7qx and moved down to power savings - turbo boost - offset voltages and c states to make 4.8Ghz my new daily speed.

4.8Ghz Stable.jpg

Test Four

4.8Ghz with 1.352v with Offset Voltage of 1.325 +0.025 - Ring Speed 4Ghz with 1.150v - Ring Multiplier 40 - Ring Offset Voltage 1.125v +0.025v Booted system benched with Aida 64 - Every Test But Hdds Got stable 15 min run - Temps were 75c to 85c stable after first jumps to 91-94c and gpus is also stable and not effecting overall voltage load at 100%. Got Validated my settings. http://valid.x86.fr/4vdqip and left it for 1hr Run and after 30 min cooldown another 4 hour run to make sure its stable.

4.8Ghz Stable Offset Mode.jpg

Also here is a quick Cinebench R15 Test too.

MCCOPRA PC 31-7-16 G3 Full Load 4.8ghz Offset Mode Cinebench R15.jpg

So far so good i will keep you updated if it blows up or burns down in couple months.

Now its time to fuel the new MSI R9 390 to its limits will post it too.

yes after 2 days of hard work - summer heat and optimizations my setup is finally back in business.

Final Config

I7 4790k 4.7Ghz@1.278vid@1.304Vcore 

4x8Gb HyperX 1866Mhz@2133mhz 1.55Vdimm

MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G 1040@1100 Core - 1500-1600 Mem - Power Limit %50 - No Voltage - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13789996

4.7Ghz Stable Offset Mode Final.jpg

will keep it coming for changes.