Solar Impulse: Around the world with zero fuel

Spiderloser

Solar Impulse: Around the world with zero fuel 

Solar Impulse 2: Solar-Powered Plane Lands in United Arab Emirates, Completing Journey Around the World

• Solar Impulse 2 was piloted by Bertrand Piccard on the final part of its epic expedition
  • The lightweight aircraft weighs the same as an SUV but has the wingspan of a Boeing 747

(CNN)The first aircraft powered solely by the sun made its landing into history, reaching Abu Dhabi on Tuesday and completing a 25,000 mile, round-the-world journey that began over a year ago.

The Swiss-engineered Solar Impulse 2 was piloted by Bertrand Piccard on the final part of the epic expedition that took off from Cairo earlier this week. The final stop completes its 17-leg, milestone journey that used only the power of the sun's rays.

We have now just watched our shared dream unveil, becoming a reality" the Solar Impulse team said in a blog post. "Emotions, tears, relief, exhilaration is what we are all feeling right now after completing the first Round-the-World solar flight in history."
The lightweight aircraft, which weighs the same as an SUV but has the wingspan of a Boeing 747, is the brainchild of Piccard and Bertrand Borschberg, a Swiss engineer and businessman. The Solar Impulse is a single-seater, so the two men have shared the flying by taking different legs of the journey since March 2015.

My thoughts:  Really cool they made it and it was not shoot down or something lol 

Source : http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/26/aviation/solar-impulse-world-trip-complete/index.html?sr=fbCNN072616solar-impulse-world-trip-complete0607AMVODtopLink&linkId=26935567

160726000209-03-solar-impulse-completes-world-trip-medium-plus-169.jpg

I wonder if the same idea is applicable to a Boeing size craft, or if we encounter the same problem as with rockets, where at some point the bigger you go starts being detrimental.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Zero Emissions, Zero fucks ..

Details separate people.

Took a year to go around the world...

Same aircraft that took 117 hours to fly from Japan to Hawaii. A normal airliner takes approximately 8.5 hours.

Interesting academic exercise, but really no more than that. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, Spiderloser said:
  • The lightweight aircraft weighs the same as an SUV but has the wingspan of a Boeing 747

Umm that's seems like it's exceptionally fucking flimsy to me: I wouldn't wanna travel in a device that would be blown the fuck away by stiff winds in the middle of a fucking storm.

-------

Current Rig

-------

16 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Umm that's seems like it's exceptionally fucking flimsy to me: I wouldn't wanna travel in a device that would be blown the fuck away by stiff winds in the middle of a fucking storm.

you wont have to. This is a step in the right direction. Even if they use this technology to reduce the current emissions it will be a success.