Just Cause 3 Crashing to Desktop

RadiatingLight
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Nope. No option. At all. 

http://steamcommunity.com/app/225540/discussions/2/487877107133219081/

Seems underclocking your GPU is solving it most of the time. 

The title basically says it all. while playing Just Cause 3, My game will randomly crash to desktop after about 20 minutes of playtime. this happens at no specific time, and I cant pinpoint what makes it crash. The error I get is DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

I've already tried uninstalling all GPU drivers with DDU and re-installing the latest drivers, but it seems no good.

preferably, I would like to solve the problem without rolling back drivers due to ansel being released in the latest version, but if needed, I will roll back.

GPU: GTX 770

CPU: i7 4770K

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

11 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

The title basically says it all. while playing Just Cause 3, My game will randomly crash to desktop after about 20 minutes of playtime. this happens at no specific time, and I cant pinpoint what makes it crash. The error I get is DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

I've already tried uninstalling all GPU drivers with DDU and re-installing the latest drivers, but it seems no good.

preferably, I would like to solve the problem without rolling back drivers due to ansel being released in the latest version, but if needed, I will roll back.

Try turning Screen Space off in your graphics section. Can be found at the very bottom. Quick google search revealed this. 

Very first result from the Google Search:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmCWA6kv-6M

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

9 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Try turning Screen Space off in your graphics section. Can be found at the very bottom. Quick google search revealed this. 

let me try that right now...

will report back soon.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

10 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

nope. Didn't work and crashed right away.

Just Cause 3 Crash 1.png

Desktop:

Laptop:

16 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

nope. Didn't work and crashed right away.

Just Cause 3 Crash 1.png

Alright, re-enable it and im still looking for your answer. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

43 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

#8 Error 38 (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG) in Just Cause 3

Update all drivers and disable the Steam interface.

Try this. 

EDIT: Disable all overlays, including anything from like EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner as well. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

6 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

#8 Error 38 (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG) in Just Cause 3

Update all drivers and disable the Steam interface.

Try this. 

EDIT: Disable all overlays, including anything from like EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner as well. 

Disable the steam interface? what is the steam interface?

i have no overlays except for a FPS counter, should I disable the FPS counter? (FPS counter is through steam BTW)

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Disable the steam interface? what is the steam interface?

i have no overlays except for a FPS counter, should I disable the FPS counter? (FPS counter is through steam BTW)

yes, Out of curiosity, since I do not play the game myself, does JC3 support DX12? If so, check to see if your playing it in DX12 mode. If so, change it to DX11 and see. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

yes, Out of curiosity, since I do not play the game myself, does JC3 support DX12? If so, check to see if your playing it in DX12 mode. If so, change it to DX11 and see. 

http://www.pcinvasion.com/just-cause-3-to-support-dx12

says here that it does, but to my knowledge there is nowhere to turn that off

Desktop:

Laptop:

8 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

http://www.pcinvasion.com/just-cause-3-to-support-dx12

says here that it does, but to my knowledge there is nowhere to turn that off

There should be an option in the game settings to switch to DX11. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

There should be an option in the game settings to switch to DX11. 

Nope. No option. At all. 

Desktop:

Laptop:

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Nope. No option. At all. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

WTF? what a strange way to solve the problem.

well, it seems like that works, so i will try it and hopefully not need to report back ever again due to the problem being solved.

thanks a lot!

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

WTF? what a strange way to solve the problem.

well, it seems like that works, so i will try it and hopefully not need to report back ever again due to the problem being solved.

thanks a lot!

I would have to agree a very strange fix, but seems to be the most common fix I have come across. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

• 1 year later...

Sorry for necroing this thread but its exactly the same issue.

There are tons of threads with regards to the Code 38 issue and most could be fixed with underclocking your card. It did work with my 1070 G1 aswell. But after upgrading to a 1080 Ti there is nothing I can do to get it to work. It seems JC3 doesn't like any of the clocks of my card. I even underclocked the cards core and mem -400 and it still crashes within a few seconds after launch with the same error.

There is nothing on the web with regards to the 1080 Ti and how to fix the issue with that card. Does anybody happen to have the same issue with the card?

5 hours ago, Spook.485 said:

Sorry for necroing this thread but its exactly the same issue.

There are tons of threads with regards to the Code 38 issue and most could be fixed with underclocking your card. It did work with my 1070 G1 aswell. But after upgrading to a 1080 Ti there is nothing I can do to get it to work. It seems JC3 doesn't like any of the clocks of my card. I even underclocked the cards core and mem -400 and it still crashes within a few seconds after launch with the same error.

There is nothing on the web with regards to the 1080 Ti and how to fix the issue with that card. Does anybody happen to have the same issue with the card?

I'm the only one that still gets notifications when someone posts here (I'm the OP)

and sorry, but I can't help you.

it would be much better for you to make a new thread, where it can be seen by more people.

Desktop:

Laptop: