Is this a good rig?

Hi everyone,

So i was wondering if someone wanted to take a look at my planned to build rig and to see if it's ok. I would like some feedback and tips. It's the first time that i'm building a pc. And to be honest i am quite nervous. I have done a lot of research, (with help of many of you on this forum, Thank you btw) And as far as i can see, everything should fit and work.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D

Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3

CPU: intel i5 4460 3,2 Ghz

GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red 1600Mhz (2x8)

PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 9 CM 600 Watt

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200RPM

SSD: Crucial BX200 240GB

Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i V2

- There is something to say about this rig, The cpu for instance will be moved from my old system to the new one. So that's why i'm not choosing something like a 4960k. I already asked the question on this forum if i should buy a new one, but everyone said i should be ok.

- The cooling might be a a bit overkill for a stock cpu, but i choose watercooling because i think it looks cool :P 

- There will also be another 1TB HDD moved over from the old system, but since that one is almost full, i chose to get a extra 2TB.

- I am aware of the fact that there is stuff like cooling paste and a OS missing. But i already have that. 

All feedback is welcome, and i'm sorry if it is not that good or if things are not compatible. It is my first build, but everything should match. Also sorry for any grammer errors :(

Thanks already!!!

4 minutes ago, DonkeyChainsaw said:

Hi everyone,

So i was wondering if someone wanted to take a look at my planned to build rig and to see if it's ok. I would like some feedback and tips. It's the first time that i'm building a pc. And to be honest i am quite nervous. I have done a lot of research, (with help of many of you on this forum, Thank you btw) And as far as i can see, everything should fit and work.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D

Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3

CPU: intel i5 4460 3,2 Ghz

GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red 1600Mhz (2x8)

PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 9 CM 600 Watt

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200RPM

SSD: Crucial BX200 240GB

Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i V2

- There is something to say about this rig, The cpu for instance will be moved from my old system to the new one. So that's why i'm not choosing something like a 4960k. I already asked the question on this forum if i should buy a new one, but everyone said i should be ok.

- The cooling might be a a bit overkill for a stock cpu, but i choose watercooling because i think it looks cool :P 

- There will also be another 1TB HDD moved over from the old system, but since that one is almost full, i chose to get a extra 2TB.

- I am aware of the fact that there is stuff like cooling paste and a OS missing. But i already have that. 

All feedback is welcome, and i'm sorry if it is not that good or if things are not compatible. It is my first build, but everything should match. Also sorry for any grammer errors :(

Thanks already!!!

Why get a oc board when your cpu doesn't oc? 

3 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Because i wanted a ATX motherboard with a red color finish. You see, the RAM i mentioned is also already in my old system. And since they are red, i needed something to match the colour. And there isn't much choise around here. So it was this, or the more expensive Gaming 5 :)

And i might get a cpu in the future that does allow for overclock.

3 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Yes was gonna say this

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

just read through all of it, sorry, I would sell that cpu, get cheaper case and get better one, if you dont want to do that then it looks okay, altho you could go cheaper on the mobo considering your cpu cant oc

4 minutes ago, Ivo said:

just read through all of it, sorry, I would sell that cpu, get cheaper case and get better one, if you dont want to do that then it looks okay, altho you could go cheaper on the mobo considering your cpu cant oc

Yea, i see your point but as i already said, the Gaming 3 is the only one that has a matching color with my RAM that i already have in my current system. Also, i might get a oc cpu in the future, but for now, i'm good.

Thanks for your feedback though!

I like everything but the hard drive. I'm constantly replacing dead hard drives for people and almost every time its a Seagate hard drive. Get a western digital or hgst.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

4 minutes ago, ltguy said:

I like everything but the hard drive. I'm constantly replacing dead hard drives for people and almost every time its a Seagate hard drive. Get a western digital or hgst.

Allright, thank you for the warning. I'll look into it. At least there is no shortage of HDD choises here. But the SSD is good, right?

10 minutes ago, DonkeyChainsaw said:

Allright, thank you for the warning. I'll look into it. At least there is no shortage of HDD choises here. But the SSD is good, right?

I'd obviously rather purchase a Samsung SSD if money were of no concern but I have purchased that exact ssd for a secondary computer and have had no issues with it.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

8 minutes ago, ltguy said:

I'd obviously rather purchase a Samsung SSD if money were of no concern but I have purchased that exact ssd for a secondary computer and have had no issues with it.

Allright, i will look into that then as well. Money is not the biggest problem, but saving a few bucks is always nice. 

I haven't heard anyone about the PSU yet. If i look at other topics there is always a discussion on which PSU should be used. Is the PSU i chose good? Is 600 Watts enough for this sytem? I know that the GTX 1060 is not that power consuming, and that the i5 4460 doesn't use much juice either, but still. I am using a watercooler. Does that not use a huge amount of power? since it has to power a pump and a radiator.

6 minutes ago, DonkeyChainsaw said:

I haven't heard anyone about the PSU yet. If i look at other topics there is always a discussion on which PSU should be used. Is the PSU i chose good? Is 600 Watts enough for this sytem? I know that the GTX 1060 is not that power consuming, and that the i5 4460 doesn't use much juice either, but still. I am using a watercooler. Does that not use a huge amount of power? since it has to power a pump and a radiator.

600 watts is enough. I didn't comment on it right away because I have no experience with be quiet psu's. Read a toms hardware review of it and they didn't seem too impressed with it. I usually just read johnnyguru's reviews and buy what he recommends.

4 minutes ago, ltguy said:

600 watts is enough. I didn't comment on it right away because I have no experience with be quiet psu's. Read a toms hardware review of it and they didn't seem too impressed with it. I usually just read johnnyguru's reviews and buy what he recommends.

Allright, some more research is required for the PSU. Thanks for your help. It means a lot.