How to tel what is the best ISP in your area?

TubsAlwaysWins

Is there a website or something that tells you what ISP has the best balance between internet speed and reliability? Im in a pretty remote town. Im moving houses and since im the techy dude I am somewhat in charge or it.

Breaking things 1 day at a time

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Is there a website or something that tells you what ISP has the best balance between internet speed and reliability? Im in a pretty remote town. Im moving houses and since im the techy dude I am somewhat in charge or it.

baaaa860871647aa7e73a357cc3b0040.png

Broadband expert and broadbandmap.gov are pretty good.

My native language is C++

Just now, tt2468 said:

baaaa860871647aa7e73a357cc3b0040.png

Broadband expert and broadbandmap.gov are pretty good.

Thanks

http://dslreports.com

Been a member for years. Wont really give you all the info you seek, but will have some reviews on the ISP's in your area. These reviews could be helpful in deciding which ISP to go with. Thats assuming you have multiples. LOL

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

23 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

http://dslreports.com

Been a member for years. Wont really give you all the info you seek, but will have some reviews on the ISP's in your area. These reviews could be helpful in deciding which ISP to go with. Thats assuming you have multiples. LOL

As far as I know we have about 3

As far as I know we have about 3

Thats good. We have 2 but, realistically ATT cant offer DSL in our area of the city so we have one. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats good. We have 2 but, realistically ATT cant offer DSL in our area of the city so we have one. 

Yeah its between ATT, Charter, and Hiltop-Broadband

Yeah its between ATT, Charter, and Hiltop-Broadband

Id stay the hell away from ATT, Unless you can get fiber. Charter is a cable ISP. I can tell you that Coax works a hell of a lot better than Phone line. ATT has no interest in offering DSL service any longer. In profitable area's they might upgrade to fiber in poorer areas they will offer 4G LTE with low caps and High overages. They also have a bandwidth cap( 150 Gigs on DSL, and 250 Gigs on Uverse). 

Never heard of Hiltop so Im guessing its a local/regional guy. Depending on what service they offer, it might be a good bet. Charter on the other hand can not use caps for like 7 years. It was the deal made with the FCC for their purchase of Time Warner and bright house. 

I will come out and say this, DSL is a dead technology. It is not even considered broadband anymore. ATT Uverse, less shitty DSL, barely makes it to the definition of broadband in most cases. DOCSIS which is what Cable companies uses can deliver very fast speeds. Id be more to go with a Cable or Fiber provider. DOCSIS 3.1 will be able to provide gigabit speeds over Coax. Comcast has launched trials in there home town of Philly. Detroit is going to be upgraded by the end of the year from what I read. Im kinda excited to see if they upgrade Romulus at all, we are about 28 miles from the D, but we have a lot of companies here, mostly logistics because of Detroit Metro Airport. 

In conclusion look in to Charter or hiltop. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Id stay the hell away from ATT, Unless you can get fiber. Charter is a cable ISP. I can tell you that Coax works a hell of a lot better than Phone line. ATT has no interest in offering DSL service any longer. In profitable area's they might upgrade to fiber in poorer areas they will offer 4G LTE with low caps and High overages. They also have a bandwidth cap( 150 Gigs on DSL, and 250 Gigs on Uverse). 

Never heard of Hiltop so Im guessing its a local/regional guy. Depending on what service they offer, it might be a good bet. Charter on the other hand can not use caps for like 7 years. It was the deal made with the FCC for their purchase of Time Warner and bright house. 

I will come out and say this, DSL is a dead technology. It is not even considered broadband anymore. ATT Uverse, less shitty DSL, barely makes it to the definition of broadband in most cases. DOCSIS which is what Cable companies uses can deliver very fast speeds. Id be more to go with a Cable or Fiber provider. DOCSIS 3.1 will be able to provide gigabit speeds over Coax. Comcast has launched trials in there home town of Philly. Detroit is going to be upgraded by the end of the year from what I read. Im kinda excited to see if they upgrade Romulus at all, we are about 28 miles from the D, but we have a lot of companies here, mostly logistics because of Detroit Metro Airport. 

In conclusion look in to Charter or hiltop. 

Charter is by far the best deal but they dont serve in my town. ATT is looking pretty good since its supposidly $50 for 45MB/s. We currently have Hilltop and it is like $65 for 10MB/s (But its more like 3. It might be better in town though).

Fiber is out of the option because of how remote it is.

What is wrong with AT&T? (Just Curious). If we can get like 20Mb/s at least on a '45Mb/s' Line i would be pretty happy since it is better than what we have now. (Even for the price)

http://hilltop-broadband.com/index.html

1 hour ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Charter is by far the best deal but they dont serve in my town. ATT is looking pretty good since its supposidly $50 for 45MB/s. We currently have Hilltop and it is like $65 for 10MB/s (But its more like 3. It might be better in town though).

Fiber is out of the option because of how remote it is.

What is wrong with AT&T? (Just Curious). If we can get like 20Mb/s at least on a '45Mb/s' Line i would be pretty happy since it is better than what we have now. (Even for the price)

http://hilltop-broadband.com/index.html

DSL does not meet the FCC definition of broadband. VDSL barely meets the definition. Plus, ATT has no interest in copper networks any more. If you do some research you will notice that they do not maintain their copper network and they are slowly pulling out of the wired broadband market. You see, Verizon decided some years back to run fiber to the home. The only thing is, they looked at the money made from Fiber networks and the money made from wireless. Wireless is much easier to maintain and deploy. ATT saw this and knows they can make a metric shit tonne of money from LTE and maybe 5G if that ever comes out. ATT is trying to deregulate the phone systems in Michigan so they can walk away from none profitable areas. 

ATT will also state they provide a fiber connection. Thats far from the truth in many ways. In some small cases ATT Uverse is delivered over a fiber cable to your house, but thats slim. In most areas, its fiber to the node, similar to how the cable company does it. But the only difference is most phone lines in the US have been on the poles for 100 years. Thats a long time, remember they were not designed original to run internet data through them. Especially if they dont maintain or upgrade the network. 

If charter is not an option then you will have to deal with ATT. I just hope your in a semi profitable area. I also hope you are actually close to the node, or else your speeds will be shit. I know people who have ATT and are happy with it. But it just I understand how these services work, I also keep track on the telecommunications industry because it interests me. But maybe you will get lucky. Maybe ATT will bring Gigapower to you, you never know and you will be surfing the web with Gigabit speeds.