Upgrading rig, need help

Qwix

Im upgrading my current rig with a i5 4590 and a gtx 960 4gb, and I need some help picking out a gpu, I can either go with this https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-CLASSIFIED-Whisper-06G-P4-4997-KR/dp/B01BX3FCBE/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469404839&sr=1-9&keywords=gtx+980ti Or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127955&cm_re=gtx_1070-_-14-127-955-_-Product and I dont know which one is a better deal, Thank you in advance.

Just now, Knaj said:

You rig seems just fine, why are you going to upgrade it?

Upgrading because I want to play at 1440p with at least 45 frames.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Id say go balls out and get the 1070, its probably like 15% better and cost 20bucks more

Anyone know If there would be a noticeable performance difference For the 1070 over the 980ti?

That i5 will hold you back in some title, well I mean it will hold your 1070 back. Keep that in mind.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

That i5 will hold you back in some title, well I mean it will hold your 1070 back. Keep that in mind.

At 4k 8xMSAA?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1070 is probably the wise choice for 1440.

CPU shouldn't be that bad.

Core i7 6700k @ 4800mhz 1.33v * 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000mhz * ASUS Z170-A * Corsair H100i * ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX @ 2100mhz * XFX Pro Black Edition 80+ Gold 850w * Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S * AOC U2879VF 28" 4K

He wants to go up to 1440p so the cpu bottleneck will not be as severe as if he was at 1080p or lower.  It will still be there though, but it seems that it would likely not be stronger than 25% of non bottlenecked performance, where 1080p would be much more substantial at something like 40%+.  Search youtube for 1070 cpu bottleneck.  I've seen a few people out there do silly things with 1070s and 1080s.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

At 4k 8xMSAA?

It's the opposite.  The lower the resolution the more the CPU bottleneck is pronounced.

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

At 4k 8xMSAA?

Why does everyone think resolution matters? All that happens with resolution is that going up doesn't cause your fps to drop, it doesn't increase it. So if you have a bottleneck causing a 24fps dip, that dip stays at 24fps all the way up in resolution until the GPU hits 100%.

Just now, Cracklingice said:

He wants to go up to 1440p so the cpu bottleneck will not be as severe as if he was at 1080p or lower.  It will still be there though, but it seems that it would likely not be stronger than 25% of non bottlenecked performance, where 1080p would be much more substantial at something like 40%+.  Search youtube for 1070 cpu bottleneck.  I've seen a few people out there do silly things with 1070s and 1080s.

Really?

I have a QX9770 with an ASUS STRIX 1080 right now.

Core i7 6700k @ 4800mhz 1.33v * 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000mhz * ASUS Z170-A * Corsair H100i * ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX @ 2100mhz * XFX Pro Black Edition 80+ Gold 850w * Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S * AOC U2879VF 28" 4K

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

Why does everyone think resolution matters? All that happens with resolution is that going up doesn't cause your fps to drop, it doesn't increase it. So if you have a bottleneck causing a 24fps dip, that dip stays at 24fps all the way up in resolution until the GPU hits 100%.

Right... so you are saying the 1070 can handle 4k Max?

Fine then. Let's bump it up even further. 4k was a low shot anyways. He's got a 1440p monitor, so let's have DSR at 4x and render in 10k. Not going to be a problem, resolution doesn't matter.... right? Afterall, his CPU will hold him anyways.

Or at least that's what you are saying.

4 minutes ago, 1Cup1Tea said:

Really?

I have a QX9770 with an ASUS STRIX 1080 right now.

hahaha part of me wants to say com' at me bro, but really the silly part is doing it just for the youtube video.  

Just now, Cracklingice said:

hahaha part of me wants to say com' at me bro, but really the silly part is doing it just for the youtube video.  

It's underway though i just went full out on GPU before everything else.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Dg4q3F

Just now, Imakuni said:

Fine then. Let's bump it up even further. 4k was a low shot anyways. He's got a 1440p monitor, so let's have DSR at 4x and render in 10k. Not going to be a problem, resolution doesn't matter.... right? Afterall, his CPU will bottleneck anyways.

what I am saying is his CPU has a maximum fps it can provide in every game, in every part of that game. Lets take Fallout 4, and Diamond city.

With Shadows at ultra expect the fps to be in the 40-50s. You could get two of the first Pascal Titan X and SLI them, 40-50 fps at 1080p. 1440? 40-50fps. 4k? 40-50fps. 5k? can you guess?

Just now, Imakuni said:

Fine then. Let's bump it up even further. 4k was a low shot anyways. He's got a 1440p monitor, so let's have DSR at 4x and render in 10k. Not going to be a problem, resolution doesn't matter.... right? Afterall, his CPU will bottleneck anyways.

Pretty much.  A CPU bottleneck means there's a certain point that lowering your settings does not gain you a frame rate increase like you could expect on a system without any bottleneck.  All of the performances will be below that of a system with no bottleneck, but the amount of lost performance is more significant the higher the frame rate goes because the cpu can't feed the GPU enough information.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

what I am saying is his CPU has a maximum fps it can provide in every game, in every part of that game.

His and every single CPU in existance...

Just now, Imakuni said:

His and every single CPU in existance...

Yes! And when you buy a graphics card that can provide more fps than the CPU, there's a name for that.

Hold on,

Tip of my tongue.

I'll think of it,

any second.

Just now, App4that said:

Yes! And when you buy a graphics card that can provide more fps than the CPU, there's a name for that.

Hold on,

Tip of my tongue.

I'll think of it,

any second.

CPU has special needs?

2 minutes ago, 1Cup1Tea said:

CPU has special needs?

Most of the time you can circumvent the problem through the use of settings. In the Fallout 4 example you can dramatically increase the fps by limiting the shadow distance to medium and the Godrays turned off. Some settings are placed on the CPU, limit those and your need for a stronger CPU goes away. But you're also lowering the quality of the game, so it's a trade off.