6700k vs 5820k vs 6800k

Hi, I was wondering of what CPU to choose for my new rig. 

I am not a gamer( I will game too, but that's just a part of what the rig will be used for, not the entirety). The rig will be used for various academic projects, mostly multi-threaded in nature. 

I am leaning mostly towards X99, but the high single-threaded performance and efficiency 6700k is confusing me. Also if I decide to go with X99, choosing between the 5820k and 6800k is very confusing since the 6800k overclocks pretty poorly. Hence, I am leaning towards 5820k because the 6800k is worse when you overclock both the 5820k and 6800k. 

The prices in my country are usually higher than usual. So here are they are for reference. 

6700k: 390$

5820k: 450$

6800k: 510$.  

Please suggest me what to do. 

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

Get the 5820k.

The best deal IMO.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

I suggest getting the 6800k. It overclocks SLIGHTLY less than the 5820k, but it has better architecture that makes up for this difference in clock speeds and then some. It also has a feature that allows better single core performance than the 5820k. I forget what its called, but in the 6800k BIOS OC section, there will be a little asterisk beside one of your cores. That core was pretested at the factory and was determined to be the strongest, most stable core out of all of your cores. You can manually set that core to perform a bit faster than the other OC'd cores in your BIOS, and your computer will assign the more single threaded workloads to that core more frequently.

I would recommend the 6800k. the 60 dollar difference is like 2-3% when compared to the cost of an entire X99 system, and its going to be more than 2-3% better. However, if you really want the extra 60 bucks in your pocket, then by all means the 5820k is fine too. The 6700k is also pretty good at multi threaded things and programs. obviously not as good as X99, but Its no slouch. If you're not going to be doing a TON of professional level rendering, editing, and the like, then a 6700k may be all you need anyway.

Well i would also go for X99 in this case.

The 6700K Skylake is indeed faster core for core then the Haswell / Broadwell cpu´s, but the diffrence isnt that big if you overclock a haswell cpu.

The reason i would go for X99 is simply because the 6 core chips are simply better work horses.

Which i think in your case will be handy.

The 5820K vs the 6800K, the Broadwell-E cpu´s are slightly faster per core.

But not realy something to get too excited about.

I would probably just grab the 5820K in this case since its roughly $60,- cheaper.

And those $60,- you could invest in more ram if needed, or other components like better GPU, SSD, PSU, Cooling, whatever.

Thanks for the input. Feeling more confident about the 5820k. I just have one more confusion about the motherboard. I want the motherboard to have WiFi because it's convenient. 

I came across two pretty good ones. Asus ROG strix x99 gaming and Asus x99 pro. Prices are within 3$ for both and they both seem really similar. Can't decide which one to get. 

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

HAHAHAHA misinformation all around. If that's the case go with AMD's FX-9590 5GHZ 8 core processor, only $230 dollars. hint hint, you guys got things all wrong

Blue screens eh? Did you try setting it to Wumbo?

5 minutes ago, Damocles said:

HAHAHAHA misinformation all around. If that's the case go with AMD's FX-9590 5GHZ 8 core processor, only $230 dollars. hint hint, you guys got things all wrong

This forum is about people learning about computers. If we have gotten things incorrect, by all means, enlighten us.

What exactly have we gotten "all wrong"?

8 minutes ago, Damocles said:

The multicore performance of the FX-9590 doesn't even match that of the 6600k, let alone the 5820k. Not to mention the increase in power consumption and no support for DDR4 on AMD platforms. 

Even if I was an AMD fanboy, I wouldn't buy an AMD CPU until zen is released. 

11 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Which one looks prettier?

The ROG strix one looks prettier and its newer. 

Look up IPC, it means instructions per clock. More recent generations of processors have more IPC per clock and do perform better. There is roughly a 6% increase in IPC from the 5820K to the 6800k so a 4.7Ghz 5820k vs a 4.5 Ghz 6800k would be a 4% increase in clock, but still roughly 2% faster. Answer you question?

Long story short, 6800k is marginally faster. But with Turbo boost 3.0 you can boost a single core much faster and get slightly better gaming performance. So the prices are unsurprisingly proportional to the performance you are getting. However, if you only game and do light multi threaded stuff from time to time; 6700K.

1 minute ago, Damocles said:

Look up IPC, it means instructions per clock. More recent generations of processors have more IPC per clock and do perform better. There is roughly a 6% increase in IPC from the 5820K to the 6800k so a 4.7Ghz 5820k vs a 4.5 Ghz 6800k would be a 4% increase in clock, but still roughly 2% faster. Answer you question?

The issue is that the 6800k won't get that close to the 5820k without at least 1.4V when overclocking. So all the IPC and process advantage goes to dust. On top of it, it costs about 60$ more. 

Just now, Damocles said:

I do believe that's pretty much exactly what I said. And I said it not once, but twice.

32 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

I suggest getting the 6800k. It overclocks SLIGHTLY less than the 5820k, but it has better architecture that makes up for this difference in clock speeds and then some.

I would recommend the 6800k. the 60 dollar difference is like 2-3% when compared to the cost of an entire X99 system, and its going to be more than 2-3% better.

But its always good to have a second opinion =)

3 minutes ago, Shubham Yadav said:

The issue is that the 6800k won't get that close to the 5820k without at least 1.4V when overclocking. So all the IPC and process advantage goes to dust. On top of it, it costs about 60$ more. 

Maybe I'm in the wrong room, but my overclocks can reach up to 1.5V or even more if it would boot into windows. It's a fun fact I learned that your high voltages won't boot into windows long before you fry a cpu

6 minutes ago, Shubham Yadav said:

The ROG strix one looks prettier and its newer. 

Then you get that one =)

1 minute ago, Damocles said:

Maybe I'm in the wrong room, but my overclocks can reach up to 1.5 or even more if it would boot into windows. It's a fun fact I learned that your high voltages won't boot into windows long before you fry a cpu

I'm just worried that the overclock to the 6800k will make it age very fast considering it requires very high voltages. I'm planning to get corsair H110i for cooling, but not sure what might happen. 

Sure it is scary and you shouldn't run high voltages for a very long time. But believe me, you can run 1.4+V for maybe 5-8 years before it has a 10% of dying. Why? If the voltage is wrong, the CPU either dies or doesn't almost within the first week. This is assuming you have a good mobo and PSU however.

3 minutes ago, Shubham Yadav said:

I'm just worried that the overclock to the 6800k will make it age very fast considering it requires very high voltages. I'm planning to get corsair H110i for cooling, but not sure what might happen. 

Get the H115i. Its a newer and slightly better version of the H110i, and its the same price. and if you don't want the 6800k, then don't get it.

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Get the H115i. Its a newer and slightly better version of the H110i, and its the same price.

Costs about 15$ more here. I'm not sure if it would be worth it

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

Get the H115i. Its a newer and slightly better version of the H110i, and its the same price. and if you don't want the 6800k, then don't get it.

I'm running an H115i, 4/5 Performance. 2.5/5 Quietness. 5/5 Seems reliable for another 3+ years

1 minute ago, Shubham Yadav said:

Funny, it costs $15 less here. Normally $5 more but it's on sale...

2 minutes ago, Damocles said:

I'm running an H115i, 4/5 Performance. 2.5/5 Quietness. 5/5 Seems reliable for another 3+ years

I thought the H115i was just a rebranded H110i GTX. 

• H80i GT is now the H80i V2.
  • H100i GTX  is now the H100i V2.
  • H110i GT is now the H110i.
  • H110i GTX is now the H115i.

1 minute ago, Shubham Yadav said:

Oh. well if prices are higher for you where you are then it probably doesn't matter. Also, the H110i has 3 models:

H110i (original)

H110i GTX (gen 2)

H115i (gen 3)

The H110i was the original, the other two were the revisions/improvements on the original. They're not SIGNIFICANTLY better or anything, but if you can get the newer ones for a similar price, it would be advisable to do so.