Surround sound uses RCA as input, how do I connect to a 3x 3.5mm jacks.

PackingHeat
Go to solution Solved by HoiDaniel,

The 'real' 5.1 surround with the 3x 3.5mm jack is mostly only for computer-surroundsoundsystems. Any older 5.1 system will indeed have 'fake' surroundsound, with the rear speakers copying the front speakers. In order to drive 2 RCA's from your computer you will probably have to buy an external soundcard or an integrated (and thus more expensive) PCI-e soundcard.

So some backstory. I got given a very good and expensive for its time analog audio system. It's 5.1 Dolby surround sound, DTS, etc.

Problem is I can't get 5.1 from it because I can only find 2.1 stereo connections from RCA. And it does work as 5.1 surround when connected to TV, probably fake Surround. But I would like to know if anyone at all has any idea on how to fix it.

My MOBO is the ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 K4 Gaming.

So it has optical also. I would prefer not to use that as my headset is using that. But if it's necessary I would just swap them over whenever I want use the other.

Or the better option the 3x 3.5mm jacks. 

1 for rear, 1 for front, 1 for bass or something like that.

But that goes to 2 RCA which is generally for stereo..

TL:DR

My Amp only has 2 stereo RCA. Like the ones on TVs.

My computer has optical that supports 5.1

Or 3x 3.5mm jacks that supports 5.1

I need some sort of connection from my computer to RCA to get 5.1 surround on my sound system.

Any suggestions?

Edited by PackingHeat

The 'real' 5.1 surround with the 3x 3.5mm jack is mostly only for computer-surroundsoundsystems. Any older 5.1 system will indeed have 'fake' surroundsound, with the rear speakers copying the front speakers. In order to drive 2 RCA's from your computer you will probably have to buy an external soundcard or an integrated (and thus more expensive) PCI-e soundcard.

4 minutes ago, HoiDaniel said:

His motherboard does support surround sound, he just needs the right cables.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If they amp only has optical and stero, you have to use optical. 

My Amp only has 2 stereo RCA. Like the ones on TVs.

My computer has optical that supports 5.1

Or 3x 3.5mm jacks that supports 5.1

I need some sort of connection from my computer to RCA to get 5.1 surround on my sound system.

9 hours ago, HoiDaniel said:

Cool, thank you very much. Would you have any idea where I could find a external sound card that goes from 3x 3.5mm or optical to RCA? I can't find any..

9 hours ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

I use 3x 3,5mm jacks to 6 RCA, for my surround sound system, but I will be moving to optical as soon as I'm finish upgrading.

There are multiple cheap optical splitters available, if that is easier: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/optical-splitter

Thanks, I will probably use one of these.

9 hours ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

His motherboard does support surround sound, he just needs the right cables.

Exactly, so an internal sound card is out of the question. But a external sound card or convertor from 3x 3.5mm or optical to RCA could work.

6 minutes ago, PackingHeat said:

Cool, thank you very much. Would you have any idea where I could find a external sound card that goes from 3x 3.5mm or optical to RCA? I can't find any..

Buy a usb to optical connector. Optical is the only way to get 5.1 into that amp.