Setting up shared LAN folder?

SageOfSpice

I was interested in setting up some sort of folder that could be shared over LAN. How would I even go about this?

Is it possible to run a shared folder on a computer you wish to actively use, and still have decent security? 

I mean, it's just a home network, but at the same rate, I only want people having access to one folder.

Oh, and the reason I'm not using an internet service is because that seems like a bit of a waste. I've got limited bandwidth, so If I could just rocket the data back and forth through the network, it's a much better solution than having to use thumb drives, or deal with crappy ADSL speeds.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

How many PCs are on your network? In Windows, you can just go to the folder you want to share, right click on it, go to properties, sharing, and share it. Then you can browse to your PC through the network from any PC on the LAN and get to the folder you've shared.

I can grab a tutorial or try to write out in more detail if that doesn't make sense.

Right click on a folder in windows explorer, go to properties-> Sharing.

Here you can set up what folders to share. If you are on windows vista or above (which I hope that you are) you will need to use a user account which has a password in order to access the share. As far as I know, it is not possible to share folders like this without a pw on the account anymore.

When in doubt, re-format.

1 minute ago, forthe48 said:

How many PCs are on your network? In Windows, you can just go to the folder you want to share, right click on it, go to properties, sharing, and share it. Then you can browse to your PC through the network from any PC on the LAN and get to the folder you've shared.

I can grab a tutorial or try to write out in more detail if that doesn't make sense.

There are about 5 computers. I think I might know what you're talking about, I'll give it a shot.

Alright, so I threw a password on, restarted, and enabled sharing in the Network and Sharing Center, but I still can't find any option to share my folder. File Sharing Wizard is enabled in file explorer options, as well.

LANFolder.png

Ah, I think I figured it out. I was an idiot and disabled the Workstation and Server services which disabled the sharing functionality. It's appearing now.

49 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Alright, so I threw a password on, restarted, and enabled sharing in the Network and Sharing Center, but I still can't find any option to share my folder. File Sharing Wizard is enabled in file explorer options, as well.

Sorry, it looks like things might be a little different in WinX. Option 1 on this page should work for you: http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-to-set-up-file-sharing-on-windows-10

7 minutes ago, forthe48 said:

Sorry, it looks like things might be a little different in WinX. Option 1 on this page should work for you: http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-to-set-up-file-sharing-on-windows-10

Yeah, I've got that worked out more or less. I've got a new issue now, though.

So I've set up the home group, I've got the other computer connected, but it's throwing out a "Not Responding" error when I attempt to access the shared folder from another computer. Any ideas?

Just now, SageOfSpice said:

Yeah, I've got that worked out more or less. I've got a new issue now, though.

So I've set up the home group, I've got the other computer connected, but it's throwing out a "Not Responding" error when I attempt to access the shared folder from another computer. Any ideas?

Temporarily turn Windows firewall off on your Host PC, see if it works with firewall off. If it does, see what you need to make an exception for. I dont' have a lot of experience with homegroups, sorry.

1 minute ago, forthe48 said:

Temporarily turn Windows firewall off on your Host PC, see if it works with firewall off. If it does, see what you need to make an exception for. I dont' have a lot of experience with homegroups, sorry.

Oh no, don't worry about it man. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, so any ideas help. I'll give it a try.