i7 6700k Stock Temps, Hyper 212 EVO

Go to solution Solved by pwn_intended,

um....those temps are incredible. Definitely nothing to worry about.

I just finished the following build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($344.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($118.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($68.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($90.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($429.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($106.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1303.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-22 15:05 EDT-0400

I also had included a cheap, spare fan for push-pull with the Hyper 212 EVO. Also, in total, I have 2 intake 120mm fans, and 1 exhaust 120mm fan. All of these are connected directly to the motherboard.

After building, I was a bit concerned about CPU temps at stock speed. I also haven't messed with anything other than boot order in the BIOS, so I'm also concerned there's some sort of automatic process going on there that may be contributing. This is all considering a 23°C ambient temp (measured with MSI Afterburner):

• Idle: 25-28°C
  • Gaming Load (CS:GO, Elder Scrolls Online, Payday 2), 35-45°C
  • 100% Load (Prime 95 "Blend") - Starts at around 50-55°C, but after about 5-7min it switches to another stress test and it jumps to 69-71°C, which I believe to be the same as the test included below.
  • 100% Load (Prime 95 "Small FFTs") - 69-71°C

I've run all of these over the course of 15+ mins, with the temps stable over that time. I'm particularly concerned with the "Small FFTs" test. Are these considered normal for my setup? Would it be worth checking/reapplying the thermal paste or something?

When in doubt, re-format.

Just now, pwn_intended said:

Oh really? I was poking around the web and was getting a bit worried. Maybe I was a bit ahead of myself lol.

Is there enough headroom to start overclocking? What do you think would be a safe maximum?

U make me feel terrible . My Hyper Evo 212 with ambient of 21-23C gives my i7-4790 idle temps of 35-45C and gaming temps of 55-65C. 

Buy I use my iGpu for one of my monitors so maybe that's why it's hotter by a lot compared to u.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Yep. Just fabulous.
My 2600k OC'd at 5.0 will start to hit 91C and start shitting bricks at that point. Anything under 80c is fine.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.875GHz/1.335v , GPU: Fury Nitro.

1 minute ago, Manswaggle said:

Yep. Just fabulous.
My 2600k OC'd at 5.0 will start to hit 91C and start shitting bricks at that point. Anything under 80c is fine.

Well u have pushed it to the limit. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Oh that's a relief. Thanks for the help!

I think I'll start overclocking sometime in the future. Sounds like anything under 80c is best, in terms of a maximum?

As long as you are somewhere in the mid-70's under load, you're golden. As far as safe max OC, I would start with bumping it up to 4.3, then 4.4, etc till you get a crash. Also keep an eye on the voltages since a very small increase in voltage can have a huge impact on temps. For me, decreasing voltage from 1.37 to 1.27 made my temps go from 100 under full stress test mode all the way down to 68-75.

Never understood the point of that rating.... I OC my 6700k and its totally stable and works at 80C if I want it to (although its never that high in normal use)

3 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

As long as you are somewhere in the mid-70's under load, you're golden. As far as safe max OC, I would start with bumping it up to 4.3, then 4.4, etc till you get a crash. Also keep an eye on the voltages since a very small increase in voltage can have a huge impact on temps. For me, decreasing voltage from 1.37 to 1.27 made my temps go from 100 under full stress test mode all the way down to 68-75.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but even under stock speeds + stock BIOS, my current temps are that great?

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

i7-6700K has a Tcase of 64deg: http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

you shouldn't OC with the 212 EVO

Really? MSI Afterburner wouldn't measure Tcase, would it? I was curious as the "CPU temp" was always the same as my hottest core. Maybe I should be using another temperature monitor to get a more accurate reading?

1 minute ago, Exp said:

Really? MSI Afterburner wouldn't measure Tcase, would it? I was curious as the "CPU temp" was always the same as my hottest core. Maybe I should be using another temperature monitor to get a more accurate reading?

Tcase is the max allowed temp at the heat spreader

I think it's similar, if not the same, with package temp

4.5-4.6 is a general most 6700ks can hit easy, start there and bump up until your thermals start getting to high or you start getting totally unstable, keep voltage under 1.4v, but forget tcase and worry more about core temps, keep them under 80ºC and you're pretty much golden

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

19 minutes ago, Exp said:

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but even under stock speeds + stock BIOS, my current temps are that great?

Yes. In my personal XP, I have found that increasing my clock without touching my voltage doesn't increase my temps by much. ie. going from 3.4-4.1 Ghz only made my temps go up by less than 10 degrees. To get it from 4.1-4.3 I had to up my voltage a bit and those extra .2 Ghz made the temp go up by another 10 degrees. Every individual CPU performs slightly differently and all you gotta do is tinker with it and see how she goes. Basically if you keep the voltage under 1.4, and keep an eye on your temps (namely 80ish or lower under full load), you cannot break anything. Even if the system crashes from too high a OC, it shouldn't damage anything.

TLDR: basically test it till it crashes, then dial it back a notch or increase the voltage if temps allow.

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Tcase is the max allowed temp at the heat spreader

I think it's similar, if not the same, with package temp

Alright I just did another Prime 95 "Small FFTs" test and used HWMonitor to check temps. The package temp was just about exactly the same as I reported in the original post (~70c). Should I be concerned that it's above the Tcase? This is also supposedly a test that generates a lot of heat.

6 minutes ago, Exp said:

Alright I just did another Prime 95 "Small FFTs" test and used HWMonitor to check temps. The package temp was just about exactly the same as I reported in the original post (~70c). Should I be concerned that it's above the Tcase? This is also supposedly a test that generates a lot of heat.

under Prime95 it shouldn't be concerning since it's not normal usage

but ... if you're going to OC it, you should concern

the thing is, you paired a 350$ CPU with a 30$ cooler ..... why!?!? unless the 212 EVO was a leftover

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

- snip -

Ah I see. When you say 80c, what tests do you do to get it to that temp? With Prime95, it had two modes (with both of them pushing all cores to 100% utilization), but one of them seems to be meant to generate a lot of CPU heat. Would the one that pushes the heat be more accurate?

13 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

4.5-4.6 is a general most 6700ks can hit easy, start there and bump up until your thermals start getting to high or you start getting totally unstable, keep voltage under 1.4v, but forget tcase and worry more about core temps, keep them under 80ºC and you're pretty much golden

Thanks for the reply! What stress tests are the best when it comes to testing thermals? I'm a bit confused how I can get such different temps with similar tests, even though they both pushed all cores to exactly 100%.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

under Prime95 it shouldn't be concerning since it's not normal usage

but ... if you're going to OC it, you should concern

the thing is, you paired a 350$ CPU with a 30$ cooler ..... why!?!? unless the 212 EVO was a leftover

Yea it may have been a bit of a mistake on my part. I actually ended up spending only around $280 for the CPU at Microcenter though. I guess the plan was not to OC at all until later down the road when I need that level of performance and can afford a better cooler. Also I was on a fairly tight budget.

Just now, Exp said:

Ah I see. When you say 80c, what tests do you do to get it to that temp? With Prime95, it had two modes (with both of them pushing all cores to 100% utilization), but one of them seems to be meant to generate a lot of CPU heat. Would the one that pushes the heat be more accurate?

Prime 95, cinebench, any of the 3dmark cpu stress tests, Aida64, there are tons. They will all push the CPU much harder than any game will.

So if a particular overclock gets you to 85 degrees under prime 95, when you actually use that in a game your temps are gonna lower.

That being said, I have had overclocks stable under a 2+ hours of stress testing, but crash immediately after starting a game. Its more of an art than a science.

8 minutes ago, Exp said:

Yea it may have been a bit of a mistake on my part. I actually ended up spending only around $280 for the CPU at Microcenter though. I guess the plan was not to OC at all until later down the road when I need that level of performance and can afford a better cooler. Also I was on a fairly tight budget.

I'm not saying the 212 EV doesn't do it's job, but it has limits

and if OCed you're gonna stress the silicon and the microbumps under the CPU die - it could mean nothing, but it could create problems down the road

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

- snip -

Alright, that makes sense. Thanks for the help!

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I'm not saying the 212 EV doesn't do it's job, but it has limits

and if OCed you're gonna stress the silicon the microbumps under the CPU die - it could mean nothing, but it could create problems down the road

Hm alright. I think I'll keep it at stock speeds, at least in the short-term. I'm not particularly pushing it yet anyway. So there's no grounds for concern right now, at stock, right?

Just now, Exp said:

So there's no grounds for concern right now, at stock, right?

nope, not at stock