Home network help.

Bion1985

So I am no expert when it comes to networking and honestly don't know too much. Just purchased a new router (Netgear AC1750) and have several devices I'd like wired connections on. Here is how I currently have it set up. Off the router I have a 50ft cable going to the modem, then another 50ft cable going to a gigabit switch that is feeding wired Internet to 3 pc's and a smart tv. Then I have another 50ft cable coming off the switch running upstairs to a separate room to yet another switch that is feeding wired Internet to one pc, and an Xbox 360, and PS3. My question is it ok to run the switches chained like this to each other, or should I try to run another eathernet cable off the router upstairs to the 2nd switch? Largest priority of our network is used for gaming, so like as little lag/latency as possible.

Yes you can do that.

Just remember all the cables are limited to (i presume) gigabit. For example if you have two connection of 1gbps each wanting to go into a switch and upstream they would have to share the 1gbps upstream so could only push 0.5gbps each.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

26 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

Yes you can do that.

Just remember all the cables are limited to (i presume) gigabit. For example if you have two connection of 1gbps each wanting to go into a switch and upstream they would have to share the 1gbps upstream so could only push 0.5gbps each.

Yes it's gigabit eathernet. We have like 130mbps Internet. So would it be better if I ran a separate eathernet cable from the router to the switch upstairs rather than using the downstairs switch to supply the upstairs one? As far as network usage gos the 3 downstairs pcs that run off the switch down there run together quite often along with the one pc upstairs. The Xbox ps4 and the TV rairly are in use at the same time as the pcs.

37 minutes ago, Bion1985 said:

Yes it's gigabit eathernet. We have like 130mbps Internet. So would it be better if I ran a separate eathernet cable from the router to the switch upstairs rather than using the downstairs switch to supply the upstairs one? As far as network usage gos the 3 downstairs pcs that run off the switch down there run together quite often along with the one pc upstairs. The Xbox ps4 and the TV rairly are in use at the same time as the pcs.

Does not matter which way. Keep them how you have them setup.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

2 hours ago, Bion1985 said:

So I am no expert when it comes to networking and honestly don't know too much. Just purchased a new router (Netgear AC1750) and have several devices I'd like wired connections on. Here is how I currently have it set up. Off the router I have a 50ft cable going to the modem, then another 50ft cable going to a gigabit switch that is feeding wired Internet to 3 pc's and a smart tv. Then I have another 50ft cable coming off the switch running upstairs to a separate room to yet another switch that is feeding wired Internet to one pc, and an Xbox 360, and PS3. My question is it ok to run the switches chained like this to each other, or should I try to run another eathernet cable off the router upstairs to the 2nd switch? Largest priority of our network is used for gaming, so like as little lag/latency as possible.

So as others have mentioned, yes, daisy chaining Switches does work.

However, you are creating a potential bottleneck when a switch connects to another switch. Will it be an issue for you? Probably not.

Ideally, if you need multiple switches, they should all terminate at the router, not one into the other. But that's not necessarily practical for everyone. If it's easy for you to run an Ethernet cable from the switch feeding the PC and XB/PS to the main router, then I would suggest doing so.

However, if it's a hassle, then I wouldn't bother changing your setup.

The additional lag/latency of daisy chaining switches is pretty much negligible. It would mostly only be an issue if multiple people are doing file transfers or something.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)