Counterstrike gets more and more laggy over time

JUNGHORN
Go to solution Solved by TDP_Equinox,

The source engine is a fickle bitch. 

What you're describing sounds like the issue I often have, and is usually the problem causing me to suck (and then get tilted and suck for real).
In source, your sensitivity is tied to your FPS. So if you jump down from 400 to 300, it feels like you just cut your sensitivity a bit, and that feels laggy. 

One thing I've found helps is disabling all my other monitors, disabling any black EQ on my monitor (Benq turns it on by default), and letting more natural light into my room. 

I have a similar setup, and issue. It also feels more consistent when shadowplay is ON. 

Hello guys!

First up some things to know about "me". I bought and build my current system one year ago (09.07.2015 - europe). I build my own computers since I was small and often work in companies part time to build computers there, so I think the hardware and building aspect of a computer are no problem for me (I only build them, no software). I am starting my apprenticeship soon and will learn almost everything about computers but to this day I always found the solution through google or just used my experience in trial and error ;) 

I started playing all kind of computer games when I was 13 (now 19) but over time I stopped playing cod and battlefield and started playing counterstrike more and more because it was just more skill based. When I got my new computer last year I had no time for games anymore because of some big health issues. After I recovered enough I started playing again but I only played multiplayer or party games (rocket league, racing games) with my friends. So when I was fully recovered I wanted to start playing CS seriously again and this is where my problem comes in.

Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k - 4x 4,00 GHz 
CPU-Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VII RANGER X97 
RAM: HyperX Beast 16GB - 1866 MHz - Quad Kit (!!)
SSD: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" - 250 GB 
HDD: Samsung Harddisk - 1 TB
GPU: EVGA 980Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ 
PSU: Corsair AX760 Modular - 760 Watts 
CASE: NZXT H440

MONITOR: BenQ XL2720Z - 144Hz

SOUNDCARD: Creative SOUND BLASTER OMNI SURROUND 5.1 (important for later)

I have no problem playing games like rocket league, tomb raider, far cry 4, evolve or even battlefield. But everytime I play counterstrike I have this weird experience. I have between 300 and 400 FPS, a 144hz monitor and a ping of 29, but my game still feels "choppy". I have the feeling it gets worse the longer I play. When I shoot it feels even more choppy. Maybe some here know what difference 64tick and 128tick servers make in counterstrike and so I thought maybe its just the "laggy" 64tick servers but even though the problem is much better on 128tick servers its not gone. My mouse doesnt feel responsive anymore and sometimes it feels like there is some delay.

So I thought I just go through all settings and things that could do problems. Here is a list of what I tried already. I am not going to include "small" things like reininstalling steam or the game because I tried things like that atleast 20 times. I will probably forget some things because I tried so much already.

• Reinstalling Windows 10 (7 times since I had this problem - includes updating/reinstalling all drivers several times - also switched from Windows7 to Windows10)
  • Rebuilding my complete build
  • I have a 4790k that gets really hot but never goes over 70°C but I still checked the temperatures because I thought maybe my CPU overheats
  • took out two RAM sticks because Quad kits often cause problems
  • Installed the game on different drives (SSD (system, SSD (only the game), HDD)
  • bought a new mouse
  • tried a lot of nvidia control panel settings (custom profiles for the game)
  • limiting the FPS ingame

I had two occasions where it felt like the problem was fixed even though it came back after a day. 

1. unplugging my USB soundcard (felt perfect for a short time)
  2. Installing nothing but Windows, Nvidia drivers and Steam (felt better than normal)

So this is my last try on fixing this game for me and If I cant do it I will just stop playing this because it ruins the whole experience for me. The only thing that I cant change or test with my knowledge is my internet. I often have package loss and have to restart but I am not sure if thats the problem.

Sorry for my bad formatting and english, its not my first language. Thank you already for everyone who is trying to help me.

What you're describing sounds like the issue I often have, and is usually the problem causing me to suck (and then get tilted and suck for real).
In source, your sensitivity is tied to your FPS. So if you jump down from 400 to 300, it feels like you just cut your sensitivity a bit, and that feels laggy. 

One thing I've found helps is disabling all my other monitors, disabling any black EQ on my monitor (Benq turns it on by default), and letting more natural light into my room. 

I have a similar setup, and issue. It also feels more consistent when shadowplay is ON. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

True. 

I know that but why is it 'laggier' when I shoot and have my fps__max at 200 for example? 

I have to try it without black EQ! I will also try it with shadow play on! Thanks for the suggestions already :)

Just now, sapphireflyer said:

True. 

I know that but why is it 'laggier' when I shoot and have my fps__max at 200 for example? 

I have to try it without black EQ! I will also try it with shadow play on! Thanks for the suggestions already :)

unfortunately, even if you were getting 400 FPS before, if you limit it to 200, it's going to dip to 150-ish at times. 
Source engine sucks. I've found 250-300 to be a good limit. High enough to not notice as much, but low enough to be below the performance limit. 

You can also try disabling any and all overclocks/boosts. Changing or unstable clock speeds could mess with it. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

23 minutes ago, TDP_Equinox said:

black EQ off fixed the problem about 99%. My whole life is a lie

edit: this is no joke. I searched for this solution over a year! 

Just now, sapphireflyer said:

BQ off fixed the problem about 99%. My whole life is a lie

:D

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Mark topic as solved and go rekt some kids in CS. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Just now, TDP_Equinox said:

:D

I need to play a matchmaking game to see if it really was the EQ. Thank you so much already dude!