Bootable usb in uefi?

VerbalEmissions

Hello Linustech tips, saviours of my ass on multiple occasions. I am back with another delema haha.

I have as asus M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard. It has a eufi bios. I am new to this and I am trying to clean install my OS from a Bootable Usb. I have don't this hundreds of times in the past with simple successes. For some reason in the new bios I do not know how to tell it to boot from usb first. Usually you just set the boot order in my experience but can't find out how to do it. I am ready a lot about making it fat32 instead of the ntfs it is currently formatted to but I am just interested in some tip, opinions and possible solutions to this issue so I can get my OS loaded up and finally get my new built pc up and going.

Any Questions ask or pictures needed ask.

13 minutes ago, VerbalEmissions said:

Hello Linustech tips, saviours of my ass on multiple occasions. I am back with another delema haha.

I have as asus M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard. It has a eufi bios. I am new to this and I am trying to clean install my OS from a Bootable Usb. I have don't this hundreds of times in the past with simple successes. For some reason in the new bios I do not know how to tell it to boot from usb first. Usually you just set the boot order in my experience but can't find out how to do it. I am ready a lot about making it fat32 instead of the ntfs it is currently formatted to but I am just interested in some tip, opinions and possible solutions to this issue so I can get my OS loaded up and finally get my new built pc up and going.

Any Questions ask or pictures needed ask.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/M5A97_LE_R2.0/E8047_M5A97_LE_R20_V2_WEB.pdf?_ga=1.268991477.581825498.1469131771

Page 80 of your user manual:

To select the boot device during system startup, press <F8> when ASUS Logo

To select the boot device during system startup, press <F8> when ASUS Logo appears

Basically, hitting F8 as the system POSTs (ASUS Logo right after power is on), will get you into the Boot Selection menu.

Any bootable USB devices should appear in a list here.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You may need to disable secure boot, and make sure that legacy boot is enabled. Ntfs is the best for loading windows. If there's no os on you hdd it should just boot to the usb by itself.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

2 hours ago, swordsman247 said:

You may need to disable secure boot, and make sure that legacy boot is enabled. Ntfs is the best for loading windows. If there's no os on you hdd it should just boot to the usb by itself.

my new problem is this....I got the usb the boot and load the os but then once finished installing it restarts to continue then right back into the usb to load again?

2 minutes ago, VerbalEmissions said:

my new problem is this....I got the usb the boot and load the os but then once finished installing it restarts to continue then right back into the usb to load again?

Once it restarts, pull the USB out. You must have the USB on a higher boot priority then the OS Drive. This is why I recommend people don't mess with Boot Order, and simply use the BIOS Boot Menu hotkey during POST to select a bootable device.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Once it restarts, pull the USB out. You must have the USB on a higher boot priority then the OS Drive. This is why I recommend people don't mess with Boot Order, and simply use the BIOS Boot Menu hotkey during POST to select a bootable device.

doesn it need usb to continue set up? thing is...I have 4 harddrives in my pc....the one I am loading my os onto is the ssd...for some reason though in boot order it ony shows one harddrive...gimme a sec ill load picture and all you will see is one drive and the uefi that is the bootabe usb....the other one is one of my non ssd drives I use for storage and I don't get why it does not show all 4.

IMG_20160721_191200.jpg

IMG_20160721_191156.jpg

2 minutes ago, VerbalEmissions said:

doesn it need usb to continue set up? thing is...I have 4 harddrives in my pc....the one I am loading my os onto is the ssd...for some reason though in boot order it ony shows one harddrive...gimme a sec ill load picture and all you will see is one drive and the uefi that is the bootabe usb....the other one is one of my non ssd drives I use for storage and I don't get why it does not show all 4.

It only needs the USB stick for the initial setup (For Windows 10, it's that black screen with the blue loading circle, and it'll say "Copying Files" in the bottom left corner). Once the files are copied from the USB Stick onto the OS Drive, the USB stick is no longer required.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

It only needs the USB stick for the initial setup (For Windows 10, it's that black screen with the blue loading circle, and it'll say "Copying Files" in the bottom left corner). Once the files are copied from the USB Stick onto the OS Drive, the USB stick is no longer required.

okay ill try that....any tips for getting my other harddrives to show in boot order....they all show and are accessable when os is up but not in bios?

IMG_20160721_191906.jpgIMG_20160721_191928.jpgIMG_20160721_191156.jpgas you can see they are there but just not showing?

IMG_20160721_191156.jpg

IMG_20160721_191200.jpg

Edited by VerbalEmissions
delete pics

6 minutes ago, VerbalEmissions said:

okay ill try that....any tips for getting my other harddrives to show in boot order....they all show and are accessable when os is up but not in bios?

Your BIOS is in UEFI mode, so in the boot section of the BIOS, it will only show UEFI drives that have a bootable OS on them, if I recall correctly. I wouldn't worry about your other drives not showing up here.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Your BIOS is in UEFI mode, so in the boot section of the BIOS, it will only show UEFI drives that have a bootable OS on them, if I recall correctly. I wouldn't worry about your other drives not showing up here.

oh okay, don't mind me I am new to this uefi thing lol...is there another mode I can set it to like is there a mode to access the other dives?

3 minutes ago, VerbalEmissions said:

oh okay, don't mind me I am new to this uefi thing lol...is there another mode I can set it to like is there a mode to access the other dives?

No worries.

Well there's Legacy BIOS mode. You don't want to enable that though. There is no benefit.

You literally have no need for the other drives to show up in the BIOS Boot Priority settings.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

No worries.

Well there's Legacy BIOS mode. You don't want to enable that though. There is no benefit.

You literally have no need for the other drives to show up in the BIOS Boot Priority settings.

ok gonna try to pull the drive when install finishes and see what happens.