1070sli vs 1080

App4that

Seen some pretty strong results from using the 1070 in SLI. With the performance increase not being ad much as the cost increase going from a 1070 to a 1080, is jumping right into 1070 SLI rather than a 1080 a viable option? Peak power draw is under 600w too. 

Thoughts? 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1080 > 1070 sli.

some games can't utilize sli and therefor you're stuck with 1070 preformance.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I know. But I realized I could get a single 1080 and keep my 980ti. Or sell the 980ti and supplement my budget to run 1070s. 

But yeah. Still SLI, but worse case it's still a 1070. Which is why I'm caught.

1 minute ago, PCNoobie said:

1080 sli > 1070 sli

The 1080 I'm looking at this the ZOTAC Extreme, no way I'd be able to SLI that monster lol

A 1070 is approximately equal to a 1080, especially with GPUboost 3 overclocking the snot out of it by default.

If 1070 ~ 1080

Then 1070 sli >> 1080

It always always always makes more sense to buy two of the second tier card -- the one that is a cut down version of the EXACT SAME GPU as the top tier -- rather than any number of the top tier.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

1080 > 1070 sli.

some games can't utilize sli and therefor you're stuck with 1070 preformance.

Which is basically 1080 performance anyway. And there are previous few games this is true for. Even the Dx 12 games are getting multi gpu patches now and seeing scaling over 80%.

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

A 1070 is approximately equal to a 1080, especially with GPUboost 3 overclocking the snot out of it by default.

If 1070 ~ 1080

Then 1070 sli >> 1080

It always always always makes more sense to buy two of the second tier card -- the one that is a cut down version of the EXACT SAME GPU as the top tier -- rather than any number of the top tier.

That's exactly what I'm seeing. The 1070 is equal to the 980ti in the games I own, and a little better in the games coming up. The 1080 is about as big a jump as a 970 to a 980. But the 1070 SLI would be a true upgrade. 

Just now, App4that said:

The 1080 I'm looking at this the ZOTAC Extreme, no way I'd be able to SLI that monster lol

If you are looking for the fastest 1080. You might wanna look at Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 O8g. It has faster clock speed. 

Just now, PCNoobie said:

If you are looking for the fastest 1080. You might wanna look at Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 O8g. It has faster clock speed. 

Fastest 1080 so far is the ZOTAC AMP! Extreme. Boosts to 2050mhz on its own. But it's huge so no SLI in the future if I went that route.

34 minutes ago, App4that said:

Fastest 1080 so far is the ZOTAC AMP! Extreme. Boosts to 2050mhz on its own. But it's huge so no SLI in the future if I went that route.

It's also well over a kilogram. I would be hesitant to hang that from my £300 sheet of fibreglass.

7 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

It's also well over a kilogram. I would be hesitant to hang that from my £300 sheet of fibreglass.

Yeah the Newegg review mention it sagging right out of the box.

Any recommendations on a good 1070 with SLI in mind? I'm very hesitant to get Gigabyte. Had a bad experience with them. silly I know, but it made me weary.

Just now, App4that said:

Yeah the Newegg review mention it sagging right out of the box.

Any recommendations on a good 1070 with SLI in mind? I'm very hesitant to get Gigabyte. Had a bad experience with them. silly I know, but it made me weary.

Well the usual "if you go with open air coolers you'd better have very good airflow and be able to space them nicely" applies. The heat from the bottom card will be dumped into the top card otherwise. How much this impacts performance depends on your ambient room temperature. It's normally not too bad. It doesn't boost as far as it could, but what's 25 MHz ultimately? On the other hand, this week my room has consistently been over 30 degrees C, and that definitely does impact my boost speeds.

You may want to go for a FE because of this, but realistically it's hardly a pair of 290Xs or GTX 580s. They still only have a TDP of, what around 180W something like that?

what do you want the system to do? im getting really good results from a single 1080 at 4k, 60fps at ultra or slightly dialed down settings. general consensus is that a single card is better than sli and if the 1080 will do what you want it would be a better option.

15 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Well the usual "if you go with open air coolers you'd better have very good airflow and be able to space them nicely" applies. The heat from the bottom card will be dumped into the top card otherwise. How much this impacts performance depends on your ambient room temperature. It's normally not too bad. It doesn't boost as far as it could, but what's 25 MHz ultimately? On the other hand, this week my room has consistently been over 30 degrees C, and that definitely does impact my boost speeds.

You may want to go for a FE because of this, but realistically it's hardly a pair of 290Xs or GTX 580s. They still only have a TDP of, what around 180W something like that?

In Gamer Nexus's video they showed a lower power draw from two 1070s than a 980ti overclocked to 1500mhz, which was interesting. But they also had some issues, but they ran a LED bridge verses a HB bridge or two flex bridges.

5 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

what do you want the system to do? im getting really good results from a single 1080 at 4k, 60fps at ultra or slightly dialed down settings. general consensus is that a single card is better than sli and if the 1080 will do what you want it would be a better option.

I've got a 1440 144hz monitor. So my concern is games that require graphics setting adjustments to stay above a locked 60fps. But mostly worried about the titles on the horizon that don't perform as well on Maxwell.

The best oc results i've seen from a 1070 is Msi's Gaming X on hardwareunboxed, i think.  

As you said, at worst case scenario when sli doesn't work you still have a 1070, and for AAA titles that have support you can blast through 1440p 144 or 4k60 max settings. You're probably pretty close to 1080ti performance, like 970 sli vs 980ti.  For my money, I would go that route.  I mean, 2 graphics cards just look awesome, haha. And not having to upgrade the psu is a nice plus thanks to pascal's efficiency.  If you can get decent money for the 980ti I would go for it.  Unless you need to build a pc for something else, of course, and would be stuck buying a third gpu for that.  In that case just keep the 980ti and get a 1080.

Just now, ace_cheaply said:

The best oc results i've seen from a 1070 is Msi's Gaming X on hardwareunboxed, i think.  

As you said, at worst case scenario when sli doesn't work you still have a 1070, and for AAA titles that have support you can blast through 1440p 144 or 4k60 max settings. You're probably pretty close to 1080ti performance, like 970 sli vs 980ti.  For my money, I would go that route.  I mean, 2 graphics cards just look awesome, haha. And not having to upgrade the psu is a nice plus thanks to pascal's efficiency.  If you can get decent money for the 980ti I would go for it.  Unless you need to build a pc for something else, of course, and would be stuck buying a third gpu for that.  In that case just keep the 980ti and get a 1080.

Not going to be building a HTPC so no worries there. Biggest concern is heat, I don't want to go FE but two open coolers right next to each other is a pain in the ass. Been there, still have flashbacks. Not many videos on the 1070 crossfire. Still looking though.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Not going to be building a HTPC so no worries there. Biggest concern is heat, I don't want to go FE but two open coolers right next to each other is a pain in the ass. Been there, still have flashbacks. Not many videos on the 1070 crossfire. Still looking though.

Yeah, definitely understand that.  Maybe msi aero or asus turbo if you ever plan on doing a custom loop.  Guru3d tested 1070 Gaming X's in SLI and saw a max temp of 74, but that's in an open air test bench, not a case.  

Yeah, definitely understand that.  Maybe msi aero or asus turbo if you ever plan on doing a custom loop.  Guru3d tested 1070 Gaming X's in SLI and saw a max temp of 74, but that's in an open air test bench, not a case.  

I'd want the better power delivery. The Gaming X would probably be what I went with if I went that route. I'd just have to do some painting.

Tough call. I don't like multi card configs but here it almost makes sense.

19 minutes ago, App4that said:

In Gamer Nexus's video they showed a lower power draw from two 1070s than a 980ti overclocked to 1500mhz, which was interesting. But they also had some issues, but they ran a LED bridge verses a HB bridge or two flex bridges.

I've got a 1440 144hz monitor. So my concern is games that require graphics setting adjustments to stay above a locked 60fps. But mostly worried about the titles on the horizon that don't perform as well on Maxwell.

I've experimented with a single flex bridge and two and not noticed a difference BUT not extensively or in nearly enough games to draw any conclusions.

i should point out, too, that when my room is over 30 degrees and the fan in my room is on full pointing straight at me its louder than all of my case and gpu fans combined when set to 100%. So I set them all to 100% and temps aren't an issue anymore :P 

Just now, othertomperson said:

I've experimented with a single flex bridge and two and not noticed a difference BUT not extensively or in nearly enough games to draw any conclusions.

i should point out, too, that when my room is over 30 degrees and the fan in my room is on full pointing straight at me its louder than all of my case and gpu fans combined when set to 100%. So I set them all to 100% and temps aren't an issue anymore :P 

I have excellent airflow in my case, and I live in the desert so have kick ass A/C in my house.

Just now, App4that said:

I have excellent airflow in my case, and I live in the desert so have kick ass A/C in my house.

Oh wonderful! :)

Just now, App4that said:

I'd want the better power delivery. The Gaming X would probably be what I went with if I went that route. I'd just have to do some painting.

Tough call. I don't like multi card configs but here it almost makes sense.

Is the power delivery really a problem though, if the FE is overclocking higher than most AIB's? And yeah, painting ftw. I thought that myself when i looked at the twin frozr before, especially with my all white build.  

Looking at the guru3d results does make you question the sli support though. It's weird to see Far cry primal at 4k with the 1070sli beating the 1080 handily, but at 1080p it loses to a singular 1070. Similar with Total Warhammer. 

Is the power delivery really a problem though, if the FE is overclocking higher than most AIB's? And yeah, painting ftw. I thought that myself when i looked at the twin frozr before, especially with my all white build.  

Looking at the guru3d results does make you question the sli support though. It's weird to see Far cry primal at 4k with the 1070sli beating the 1080 handily, but at 1080p it loses to a singular 1070. Similar with Total Warhammer. 

Yeah, that's my concern. With the budget for 1070 SLI I could get any 1080 on the market. And the difference between the FE and the cards with better power delivery is holding their boost speed. So games that don't stress the GPU don't show a gain over the FE, but in titles that really stress the GPU you see a huge gain for cards with better power delivery. That makes me think power delivery will become crucial to performance in the future.

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yeah, that's my concern. With the budget for 1070 SLI I could get any 1080 on the market. And the difference between the FE and the cards with better power delivery is holding their boost speed. So games that don't stress the GPU don't show a gain over the FE, but in titles that really stress the GPU you see a huge gain for cards with better power delivery. That makes me think power delivery will become crucial to performance in the future.

Ah, I didn't really look into that aspect of it.  I know my Strix 1070 doesn't hold it's boost as well as it should, but I attributed that to the shitty psu. I'm waiting for my RM750i in the mail to verify.  My card boosts up to 2114, but throttles back to 2088 most of the time. But thermals are 65 at most, power target is only reaching 108%, and voltage stays around 1000mv, not 1100. The gaming X has 8+2 i believe vs. the 6+1 on the strix, and also 8+6 pin vs just 8 pin, so I'm sure that plays a part in it keeping it's boost clock and boosting higher than other cards.