Looking for a uab 5Ghz Wifi dongle

yas1320
Go to solution Solved by tsunoda,
Just now, yas1320 said:

thanks for all your suggestions so far.

The reason I'm going for a wireless connection is that my pc is in a different room to the router.

Am i right in thinking the best internal wifi cards are TP link.  I know i had one of them in my old pc.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-450Mbps-Wireless-Express-TL-WDN4800/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469025584&sr=8-1&keywords=internal+wifi+card+5ghz

this is pretty much the best guaranteed one for range and connection stability, it supports 5GHz so you wont have to worry about speeds either.

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a usb 5ghz wifi dongle for my pc.  My budget is £25.00, can anyone suggest any good ones?

Thanks in advance.

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

from my experience USB wifi devices are a disaster, and you're much better off getting an internal wifi card that has antennas with a cable so you can aim them properly.

that said... i really dont like to recommend wifi in general unless absolutely necessary.

The reason I'm going for a wireless connection is that my pc is in a different room to the router.

Am i right in thinking the best internal wifi cards are TP link.  I know i had one of them in my old pc.

Just now, yas1320 said:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-450Mbps-Wireless-Express-TL-WDN4800/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469025584&sr=8-1&keywords=internal+wifi+card+5ghz

this is pretty much the best guaranteed one for range and connection stability, it supports 5GHz so you wont have to worry about speeds either.

Just now, tsunoda said:

Cool, i might just go for that one and its within my budget of £25.00 on amazon.

Thanks @tsunoda

9 minutes ago, yas1320 said:

Cool, i might just go for that one and its within my budget of £25.00 on amazon.

Thanks @tsunoda

oh, you used £ im so used to people using $ on this site

Hi Guys,

Just one more question.  I have the Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 motherboard, it has the following PCI Express Slot:

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)

1 x PCI Express x1 slot

I was wondering, if i plug the Wifi card in the slot that is running at x4, will it reduce the download speeds of the wifi card?  As i have my GPU in the first slot and if i install the wifi card in the 2nd slot, that will reduce the speed of the first slot.

Thanks

23 hours ago, yas1320 said:

Hi Guys,

Just one more question.  I have the Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 motherboard, it has the following PCI Express Slot:

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)

1 x PCI Express x1 slot

I was wondering, if i plug the Wifi card in the slot that is running at x4, will it reduce the download speeds of the wifi card?  As i have my GPU in the first slot and if i install the wifi card in the 2nd slot, that will reduce the speed of the first slot.

Thanks

Can anyone advise me on this?