GTX 970 OC Quick Help.

b1969
Go to solution Solved by Castdeath97,

Could be that you lost the memory silicone lottery.

I am trying to overclock my 970s in SLI. I manage to get the core clock to +180. The cards are stable both in stress tests and in games. However, when I touched the memory even +25 it will pass the stress tests but crashes in games like BF4 and The Witcher 3 (BSOD and complete black screen). 

I just wanted to know if anyone who has or had the 970 experience this problem when overclocking.

I have the EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 (not the ACX 2.0+).

Thanks.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

Yeah, I guess :(...

Also, does overclocking the memory help in any way with the FPS?

1 minute ago, b1969 said:

Yeah, I guess :(...

Also, does overclocking the memory help in any way with the FPS?

Not as much as core clock does

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Not as much as core clock does

Ah... ok thank you. 

970's were made with two brands of memory.. Hynix and samsung, the former does not overclock at all according to most users on this forum, the latter can usually hit 8ghz effective

MY RIG- I call it the millennium falcon “she doesn’t look like much but she’s got it where it counts kid”

CoolerMaster HAFX, ASUS Maximus Ranger vii, Intel i-5 4690k @4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Reference GTX1080, 480GB SSD, Corsair RM850W. . Cooling- Corsair H60 w Noctua NF-F12, EK DBay res/pump combo, EK-FC1080FE block, 360mm radiator, 3x Noctua industrial 2000rpm fans. . Displays- LGOLED55B7V, ACER KG241. Peripherals- Corsair M65, Roccat RYOS MK-PRO, Logitech G633, Logitech G920

30 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

970's were made with two brands of memory.. Hynix and samsung, the former does not overclock at all according to most users on this forum, the latter can usually hit 8ghz effective

Both of my cards are Samsung but mine doesn't even overclock at all...

Guess I am in the minority then.

42 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

I want to add that I've heard BF4 dislikes overclocking.

Hmm... interesting then I'll have to find another game to see if my cards are stable.

Just now, b1969 said:

Both of my cards are Samsung but mine doesn't even overclock at all...

Guess I am in the minority then.

you must be, it was widely found on the 970 oc thread that samsung memory could hit 8ghz usually and that Hynix memory would usually not oc at all

MY RIG- I call it the millennium falcon “she doesn’t look like much but she’s got it where it counts kid”

CoolerMaster HAFX, ASUS Maximus Ranger vii, Intel i-5 4690k @4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Reference GTX1080, 480GB SSD, Corsair RM850W. . Cooling- Corsair H60 w Noctua NF-F12, EK DBay res/pump combo, EK-FC1080FE block, 360mm radiator, 3x Noctua industrial 2000rpm fans. . Displays- LGOLED55B7V, ACER KG241. Peripherals- Corsair M65, Roccat RYOS MK-PRO, Logitech G633, Logitech G920